Which is your best Cozumel Restaurant & why?

zebra

You may have eaten at Casa Denis just off the main plaza. Its one of the oldest restaurants on Cozumel.

For entertainment (strolling musicians) and very good food, you can check out the outdoor patio at La Mission on the corner by the ocean street and the plaza. The owners are the same family, long time residents, that has Casa Mission further back in town (only open for dinner).

I happen to like small local places, called loncherias. Las Flamitas on Avenida 25 has some of the best Yucatan food, especially their sopas (soups). For good seafood in town, what better place than the fish market, San Carlos Pescarderia out on Avenida 50 biz and Calle 3. It's mostly a market with some tables, but they prepare fish to perfection.

Sabores, in a private home, a block south of the Plaza, has a great patio/garden setting and is only open for lunch. You order food (fixed plates) in the kitchen and then find a spot to sit. If you're in Coz on a Thursday, I think Tonitas, on serves their pozole at lunch time. Again this is a tiny place.

If you care to venture over to the east side beaches, Chen Rio (where you can swim if the weather permits, offers a great whole snapper-entire fish, head to tailfin. And Playa Bonita, just a little ways southwest down the road, has ceveche gorditas.

Aaah now your talking Crewsweeper - We have been over to the East side (my favorite) a couple of times and have had the whole snapper at Chen Rio also have eaten at Playa Bonita as well. We may be tempted to return there again this time!!!

Is Las Flamitas in town or within walking distance .... that sounds like an option too.

Las Flamitas is on Avenida 25 about 4 blocks east of the plaza, turn right at the Pemex station, then 3-4 blocks south past the El Mercado (Salas and Avenida 20-25)and on the south side of calle Jose Morelos. Walkable from the plaza. But a taxi can take you there from the south cruise piers. You might also wish to venture into the El Mercado and visit the various food stalls there. Lots of cruise ship crews head here.

Hey, I live in Tallahassee, even the Tex-Mex places here ran by Mexicans aren't that good (but the little Mexican grocry is:)). Coming previously from Texas and So Cal, with many trips south of the border since the mid 70s (oops aging myself), I love the street food/local food in Mexico. And there are a couple of street food vendors in around the plaza in San Miguel, catering to the locals working in the area.

Hey, I live in Tallahassee, even the Tex-Mex places here ran by Mexicans aren't that good (but the little Mexican grocry is:)). Coming previously from Texas and So Cal, with many trips south of the border since the mid 70s (oops aging myself), I love the street food/local food in Mexico. And there are a couple of street food vendors in around the plaza in San Miguel, catering to the locals working in the area.

Back in the 60's I almost lived in TJ just south of California. In the early 70's the wife and I went to TJ one weekend and I told her I was going to eat off the push carts that run up and down the tourest areas as I have done for years. She on the other hand said there was NO WAY she was going to eat that stuff "You don't know what you are really eating" She sees a Kentucky Fried Chicken place and goes there. I follow with my street food and as she bites into a nice looking chicken leg......blood sprays all over her :eek:. She refused to go the TJ after that trip.

Back in the 60's I almost lived in TJ just south of California. In the early 70's the wife and I went to TJ one weekend and I told her I was going to eat off the push carts that run up and down the tourest areas as I have done for years. She on the other hand said there was NO WAY she was going to eat that stuff "You don't know what you are really eating" She sees a Kentucky Fried Chicken place and goes there. I follow with my street food and as she bites into a nice looking chicken leg......blood sprays all over her :eek:. She refused to go the TJ after that trip.

Okay. So. LA Nopalera, Rosy's or Lupita's in Jax?

Definitely The Money Bar aka Dzul Ha! Just take a taxi for a few bucks and they will take you right there. There are plenty of taxis out all day for your return trip as well.

Onto why:

#1 – A private paradise to ourselves. Definitely not as “touristy” as many of the destinations.

#2 – Beautiful view of the water from double lounge chairs for snuggling! No sandy beach but easy access to the water for swimming or snorkeling.

#3 – Fresh food and the best mojito’s I’ve ever had!

#4 – Great snorkeling (we brought our own gear) Lockers, bathrooms, and rental gear are available if needed. It was nice to not pay the bucks the private tour boats charge… we giggled every time one came in to snorkeling right were we were for free!!! :D

There is no way this place will disappoint! Can’t wait to go back!

Archived