Live from Coral Princess Northbound 8/28 - 9/4 with landtour

ntvsdgrl

Congrats on the recovery! And Happy Birthday, of course! And great trip report so far, I'm looking forward to your photos when you have time and the inclination to post.

Was your kayak shore excursion through Princess or an independent company? The reason I ask is I keep a word document with ideas for future trips, and that sounds like it was fantastic (as well as the Harv and Marv whale watching and the Princess glacier excursion)

The kayaking trip I did was thru the ship and it was Eagle Islands Sea Kayaking.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

McKinley to Denali Princess Lodge

Heading to Denali

Yesterday I went horseback riding. I have to say my body has received an all over workout from the kayaking and canoeing to horseback riding. I'm one hurting puppy. I was actually scared out riding. I've done it before but yesterday the trails were nothing but mud. And I had a horse that hated the one riding behind me and kept rearing up every he got too close to his butt. The fog started rolling in very fast so we had to hurry back. One of the guides said the foggy weather really brought out the bears and we know of a mama and her cubs that have been walking around the log grounds.

I had to do yet another load of laundry because I couldn't stand the smell of my clothes. I met the girls for dinner in 20230, one of the restaurants here at the lodge. It would be the last time we would all be together. Once we were done, I repacked my suitcase, took some items out that I had bought, packed them in box and the lodge is shipping them home. Suitcase is lighter and I now have more room.

I set the alarm for 5:00am, took my time getting up, made sure the suitcase was packed as it had to be outside my room by 7:30. I headed to 20230 again for breakfast and have been hanging out in the lodge waiting for my 9:00 am bus.

Heading to Denali

Yesterday I went horseback riding. I have to say my body has received an all over workout from the kayaking and canoeing to horseback riding. I'm one hurting puppy. I was actually scared out riding. I've done it before but yesterday the trails were nothing but mud. And I had a horse that hated the one riding behind me and kept rearing up every he got too close to his butt. The fog started rolling in very fast so we had to hurry back. One of the guides said the foggy weather really brought out the bears and we know of a mama and her cubs that have been walking around the log grounds.

I had to do yet another load of laundry because I couldn't stand the smell of my clothes. I met the girls for dinner in 20230, one of the restaurants here at the lodge. It would be the last time we would all be together. Once we were done, I repacked my suitcase, took some items out that I had bought, packed them in box and the lodge is shipping them home. Suitcase is lighter and I now have more room.

I set the alarm for 5:00am, took my time getting up, made sure the suitcase was packed as it had to be outside my room by 7:30. I headed to 20230 again for breakfast and have been hanging out in the lodge waiting for my 9:00 am bus.

Denali

It was only a 2 hour and 20 minute drive from McKinley to Denali. It rained the whole way here and as soon as we got close to the lodge, there was a rainbow and the sun came out.

As soon as I stepped out of the bus, it was very cold; mid 40's. Sorry to my San Diego friends.

I went to my room but it wasn't ready yet so I went to the great room and got on the internet. I'm lucky here at this lodge, I'm close to the great room so I get internet here in my room for free.

My Tundra Wilderness Tour wasn't until 2pm so I grabbed a cookie and a mocha and waited outside for the bus to arrive.

We were on the road right at 2pm and saw animals almost right a way. First sighting was caribou. It wasn't long before we saw some bears, all grizzlies. I couldn't believe how the colors of Fall were all over the park. It was so pretty. We went 63 miles in and turned around. We were out for about 7-1/2 hours.

Tonight the Northern lights are supposed to be "moderate" so I put in a wake up call if they come out. So far the clouds have stayed away so here's hoping.

Fairbanks

My vacation is almost over. I can't believe how fast these 11 days have gone by. It was just a year ago I was planning this trip and beginning my countdown.

We arrived in Fairbanks around noon and headed to the Riverboat Discovery Tour. Princess ships weren't the only ones there. NCL and Holland American also came by bus. We moved into a large dining hall that served lunch family style and picnic type tables. They served a stew, some type of soup, pasta salad and a brownie. The soup and stew were served in large cast iron pots and the stew was really good.

Once lunch was over we got in line to get on the large paddlewheel boat and went down the river. There were some incredible homes along the shore (photos below). As we went down the river, there were people on the shore giving demonstrations. One was showing puppies at a training camp for dogs for dog sledding. They were so cute and I got my puppy fix. Farther down the river they stopped and showed how the tribes smoked fish at a fish camp. At one point we got off the boat and went to shore and went to different areas to get presentations on how the native Alaskans survived by hunting and making pelts. We got back on the boat and headed up the river. It started raining when we were going through presentations so once on the boat it was warm and I started falling asleep.

We finally got to the hotel and fortunately my suitcase was in my room. I went down to one of the restaurants and grabbed a quick dinner and came back upstairs. I have to have my suitcase outside my room by 5am and catch the transfer at 6:30 to the airport for my 8:40 flight.

I will admit I am looking forward to going home to see my family and my Charlie, but I would do it all again in a heartbeat. I will come back to Alaska. There is still so much I didn't see. I'm not sure if I would do a cruise or if I did, I would do the land portion first and then relax on the cruise. You really enjoy the luxury of unpacking once instead of living out of a suitcase. I would love to go to the Kenai area, Copper River, Sitka and Seward.

I met a lot of great people on this trip from around the world. Some I know I will be friends with for a long time. This trip was the most incredible experience of my life and I'm sorry it's over. Monday its back to reality.

Our favorite place on our land tour was Copper River. The lodge is smaller, more intimate, if you can be that way with a whole bunch of people.

I have enjoyed remembering our trip through you. Thank you for sharing with us! I would love to go back again too! But that will happen after retirement comes. (Just a few more years.)

We had heard that doing the land first and then cruise was the way to go, and that is just what we did. I think they were right. I was hoping you would vote one way or the other after having done it the other way. Glad to hear your thoughts on it. We also stayed two nights in each place. I think that helped as well. So, every night we didn't have to have the cases out by some ungodly hour!

Hope the lights shine for you tonight! Safe journeys home.

You did a super job on your review! Thanks so much for posting. I love them all -- whether they include every minute detail or an overall account of the highlights.

Best wishes on continued good health and Happy Birthday. This day is all about YOU!!!

Archived