OMG!!! Flying in day of... I'M CRAZY!!!

That's right, I'm committing the ultimate act of heresy according to Cruise Critic.... I'M FLYING IN THE MORNING OF MY CRUISE!!!!!

Of course, I'm flying from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale. If there's any issue, I'll just rent a car and drive down. But nonetheless, I have prepared myself for the onslaught of condemnation that this act must receive....

Truth be told, I was flying into Ft. Lauderdale on Friday, but decided to go to Orlando instead to catch up with a friend. I was going to just drive down Saturday morning. But I can get a flight for $35!

Commence your condemnation now...:o

See you on board! (if you make it ;))

:D

It is not like flying out out of the midwest during the middle of winter the day of your cruise.

Yes the drive from Ottawa to Midway or Ohare can be quite a ride in December or January! Get some snow and 80 will be shut down around Seneca & Morris!:D

Don't worry...you'll be fine. I got reamed when I posted a thread about arriving day of my cruise. I evidently made the worst cruise critic faux pas ever. Not only am I arriving the day of the cruise, I arrive in the afternoon, have a connecting flight and am flying from the midwest to Puerto Rico. At least it's not in the winter! LOL. Oh...and I have NO INSURANCE! Talked about ruffled feathers. Everyone and their DD or (DH) told me all the horror stories and scolded me for not flying in the day before.

Hysterical! I have been on about 10 cruises, always fly in day of...never been a problem for me, never even worried about it..Everyone has their own method I guess..

That's right, I'm committing the ultimate act of heresy according to Cruise Critic.... I'M FLYING IN THE MORNING OF MY CRUISE!!!!!

Of course, I'm flying from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale. If there's any issue, I'll just rent a car and drive down. But nonetheless, I have prepared myself for the onslaught of condemnation that this act must receive....

Truth be told, I was flying into Ft. Lauderdale on Friday, but decided to go to Orlando instead to catch up with a friend. I was going to just drive down Saturday morning. But I can get a flight for $35!

I wouldn't worry about. Every cruise I have taken I have flown in the morning of and I never had a problem, or even a close call for that matter. Granted, maybe I am rolling the dice, but I haven't crapped out yet......lol.

Can't get your friend to drive you from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale for more bonding time:D?

The worst that can happen other than Mother Nature is that your flight gets canceled you head to the rental car area to find all of the cars are reserved and there are no rentals to be had. Always fly the day before.

reserve a car. then cancel it when you know your flight is going.

Yes the drive from Ottawa to Midway or Ohare can be quite a ride in December or January! Get some snow and 80 will be shut down around Seneca & Morris!:D

Spoken like a true Illinoisan...LOL

O'Hare Airport sucks on a GOOD day; I'll take Midway the anytime, but the day prior to my cruise.

Done it many times without an incident. I never even considered flying in a day early until I joined CC in 2002.

Three years ago, I had fights booked for myself, DH, and 2 sons the day prior to our sailing from New York to San Juan. Three months out my 2 sons decided that they wouldn't give up a Dave Matthews concert by flying in a day early. Keep in mind that they had already seen him over 20 times in concert..not exactly a once in a lifetime event. Anyhow, my husband decided that since this concert is sooooo important to them that I should change their flights to day of sailing. :eek:

I changed their flights ( DH and I kept our original flights), coughed up the change fees and reserved their flights to day of sail.

What should have been a nice relaxing night in San Juan turned into a sleepless night for me.

I arranged for a car service to pick them up at our house to take them to the airport, all pre-paid including tip, bags packed for them, etc.

The phone calls started from my sons starting at 3 am and didn't stop until 6am when they boarded the plane. I was so stressed and had a migraine worrying about them until they landed at 11am.

What did DH do? He slept through it all and announced when we all met up on the ship, " see, it all worked out fine. "

That will NEVER happen to me again.

Done it many times without an incident. I never even considered flying in a day early until I joined CC in 2002.

Three years ago, I had fights booked for myself, DH, and 2 sons the day prior to our sailing from New York to San Juan. Three months out my 2 sons decided that they wouldn't give up a Dave Matthews concert by flying in a day early. Keep in mind that they had already seen him over 20 times in concert..not exactly a once in a lifetime event. Anyhow, my husband decided that since this concert is sooooo important to them that I should change their flights to day of sailing. :eek:

I changed their flights ( DH and I kept our original flights), coughed up the change fees and reserved their flights to day of sail.

What should have been a nice relaxing night in San Juan turned into a sleepless night for me.

I arranged for a car service to pick them up at our house to take them to the airport, all pre-paid including tip, bags packed for them, etc.

The phone calls started from my sons starting at 3 am and didn't stop until 6am when they boarded the plane. I was so stressed and had a migraine worrying about them until they landed at 11am.

What did DH do? He slept through it all and announced when we all met up on the ship, " see, it all worked out fine. "

That will NEVER happen to me again.

This would be me! I'm already stressing about a 1hr and 1min connection in Minneapolis to get to Vancouver, the day before out cruise on the Radiance!

Too bad Bloomington don't have nonstop flights to FLL would be so much easier from Utica! ;)

Ahhh...good old Bloomington; know the town well. Love that place! My oldest son graduated from ISU in 2009. I forgot that there's a small airport there! :)

Ahhh...good old Bloomington; know the town well. Love that place! My oldest son graduated from ISU in 2009. I forgot that there's a small airport there! :)

Bloomington used to have Airtran, but lost it when Southwest took over. That was a loss because Airtran went to Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale, San Juan, etc.

Archived