I got a free balcony upgrade today!

watermonkeytim

Ok.. so not exactly free, but was upgraded from an interior (no window) cabin to a balcony. I am sailing on the Sky out of Miami on Sept 13th for my wife's birthday weekend. I booked this trip a few months ago as a surprise birthday present. At the time of booking the rates were decent, but nowhere as cheap as they were today.

I decided to call Norwegian to see if I could get a refund on the difference.The agent I spoke with was very friendly and polite, but explained that I would not be able to receive a refund on the difference. I asked if there was anything else that could be done, and she said that she could upgrade us to a cabin with an ocean view. I asked her to hold for just a moment while I checked the NCL site and a few other travel sites. I found that the current price for an ocean view was still slightly less than what I had originally booked. I explained that to the agent and she asked me if I would wait on hold while she spoke to her manager. After a brief hold she came back and told me that she could upgrade me to a balcony cabin for the same price that I had originally booked at. My immediate response was..yes.. yes..book it now! I honestly had not expected this upgrade and had not checked the pricing on a balcony cabin, as this was just a weekend getaway. As it turns out the difference of what I originally paid vs the current asking price for a balcony cabin is close to $200. I essentially got a several category upgrade for the price of an interior cabin. I do not know if this is because I am a latitudes member, or I just got dang lucky on a cruise with a low booking. Maybe the agent was just feeling generous today, but either way I feel like I was the master of the deal!

I guess it goes to show that it can never hurt to just ask. I can't wait to see the look on the wife's face when she sees the upgraded cabin.

Congrats! NCL has always been amazing with reasonable requests.

Shhhhh don't tell your wife & we promise to keep the secret/surprise also:D

Possibly someone on the boards here can help. I know each time I register for our cruise, and get our cruise tickets, there is a place where you are asked if anyone on your cruise is celebrating a special occassion - or, possibly call NCL again:rolleyes:

Have a wonderful cruise! We had a very nice time on the Sky

Good reason to book directly with NCL

But I have done the same thing with a TA. You just have to keep an eye on prices closer to the cruise date and have your TA call NCL to see what's possible.

My motto is "If you don't ask, the answer is always NO".

But I have done the same thing with a TA. You just have to keep an eye on prices closer to the cruise date and have your TA call NCL to see what's possible.

My motto is "If you don't ask, the answer is always NO".

Same thing with me! In all actuality, my TA watches the prices for me and either gets me OBC or I get to move up. That's how I ended up in my first suite....and there's been no looking back!!:eek:

Ok.. so not exactly free, but was upgraded from an interior (no window) cabin to a balcony. I am sailing on the Sky out of Miami on Sept 13th for my wife's birthday weekend. I booked this trip a few months ago as a surprise birthday present. At the time of booking the rates were decent, but nowhere as cheap as they were today.

I decided to call Norwegian to see if I could get a refund on the difference.The agent I spoke with was very friendly and polite, but explained that I would not be able to receive a refund on the difference. I asked if there was anything else that could be done, and she said that she could upgrade us to a cabin with an ocean view. I asked her to hold for just a moment while I checked the NCL site and a few other travel sites. I found that the current price for an ocean view was still slightly less than what I had originally booked. I explained that to the agent and she asked me if I would wait on hold while she spoke to her manager. After a brief hold she came back and told me that she could upgrade me to a balcony cabin for the same price that I had originally booked at. My immediate response was..yes.. yes..book it now! I honestly had not expected this upgrade and had not checked the pricing on a balcony cabin, as this was just a weekend getaway. As it turns out the difference of what I originally paid vs the current asking price for a balcony cabin is close to $200. I essentially got a several category upgrade for the price of an interior cabin. I do not know if this is because I am a latitudes member, or I just got dang lucky on a cruise with a low booking. Maybe the agent was just feeling generous today, but either way I feel like I was the master of the deal!

I guess it goes to show that it can never hurt to just ask. I can't wait to see the look on the wife's face when she sees the upgraded cabin.

You are a wonderful husband! Your wife will be so happy and what a nice birthday surprise. Now go for that special dinner and bottle of bubbly!

That happened to us on our very first Norwegian cruise on the Pride of America when our original booking on the Pride of Aloha (now SKY) was cancelled due to a mechanical problem and we were rebooked on POA, originally, in the least expensive inside cabin category. That free upgrade was AMAZING and Hooked us on NCL (though not exclusively) and now we are Platinums!

Archived