Calf's Liver on Veendam...

sail7seas

lol

Collard greens, anyone?

Absolutely......love 'em.......along with many other traditional "southern" foods. But then again, I loved spinach as a child, and all the other kids hated it. Everybody around here thinks it is strange that a person born "Yankee" loves southern food so much.....I even love grits!:)

Oh, and lima beans I have learned to like too but in a slightly different form....they have beans down here called butter beans which are similar to limas and they are great!

Absolutely......love 'em.......along with many other traditional "southern" foods. But then again, I loved spinach as a child, and all the other kids hated it. Everybody around here thinks it is strange that a person born "Yankee" loves southern food so much.....I even love grits!:)

Oh, and lima beans I have learned to like too but in a slightly different form....they have beans down here called butter beans which are similar to limas and they are great!

As a transplanted Californian who also has family in the NE...I also love southern food...and the "butter beans" that they have down here are wonderful...espeically when cooked with "white" corn...something else I never had in California:eek:

Oh lord....I can't even stand the look or smell of liver. :eek: Seems to me I've seen it on the menu but maybe not. If it has been luckily nobody at our tables have ever ordered it. Beyond yuck. :o:rolleyes::D Next thing will be Lima beans.....gross!

:o I Love Lima beans though can't say for sure I've specifically had them with liver.

We had it on our last Maasdam cruise. It did come with sauteed onions and was in some kind of sauce, but we ordered it without the sauce and it was very good. My favorite childhood dinner was calf's liver with sauteed onions, potato and spinach.

Thanks for sharing it was delicious. I was sure I was missing a treat and you confirmed. :) I don't remember seeing liver on a HAL menu for years but we always enjoyed it in years past when it was offered.

I am now determined to find a butcher who will special order calves liver for me to cook at home. I'll not be happy until we have it at least once in the near future.

I never expected such vibrant response in this thread. Thanks everyone. I was hoping at least one person would confirm it was delicious!!!

Doesn't anyone have liver with bacon? :confused: :eek: It's a great combo.

Oops, I spoke to soon:

When I was a little girl my Mom made calves liver with bacon & onion..Guess that's either NYC style or perhaps she learned it from her German Mother..

I love it but won't cook it a home because I get squeamish just handling it ..

We go to one local restaurant that has it & I always order it there..Have never ordered it on board a ship..

Absolutely......love 'em.......along with many other traditional "southern" foods. But then again, I loved spinach as a child, and all the other kids hated it.

<SNIP>

!

I have perfectly straight hair & My Mom had to buy special Indian walk shoes for me.. Every time we went to the store for a fitting the man who waited on us had beautiful curly hair.. I asked him how he got it & he said by eating spinach!

To this day I love spinach! When I lived alone my favorite dinner was Roast chicken & spinach.. DH love grits, I dislike them only because they make me think of cream of wheat...UGH

Cheers..Betty

:o I Love Lima beans though can't say for sure I've specifically had them with liver.

Thanks for sharing it was delicious. I was sure I was missing a treat and you confirmed. :) I don't remember seeing liver on a HAL menu for years but we always enjoyed it in years past when it was offered.

I am now determined to find a butcher who will special order calves liver for me to cook at home. I'll not be happy until we have it at least once in the near future.

I never expected such vibrant response in this thread. Thanks everyone. I was hoping at least one person would confirm it was delicious!!!

The liver on the Ryndam was delish, too. I, too, love lima beans. And, spinach. In fact, on our Ryndam cruise, the dining steward brought me a side of sautéed spinach nightly.

I have perfectly straight hair & My Mom had to buy special Indian walk shoes for me.. Every time we went to the store for a fitting the man who waited on us had beautiful curly hair.. I asked him how he got it & he said by eating spinach!

To this day I love spinach! When I lived alone my favorite dinner was Roast chicken & spinach.. DH love grits, I dislike them only because they make me think of cream of wheat...UGH

Cheers..Betty

Spinach is wonderful!!! I love spinach!!! :D Grits are also wonderful!!! My father was stationed in the south with the Air Force when I was very young and I grew up on grits. So I marry a southern girl....great choice by the way...but Mrs. K hates grits. :confused::D Go figure?!?!? We actually do quite well food wise and she doesn't like liver or Lima beans either but she likes cottage cheese....ugh. Of course I love brussel sprouts and she calls them "green slim balls"....the sacrifices you sometimes have to make. :rolleyes::D

Brussels sprouts are also great.......(fresh quartered) sautéed with bacon, onions a little garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, a few golden raisins, and a dash of chicken broth........ummm! Wonderful.......even my DH likes them that way and he doesn't really like Brussels sprouts. I usually make them at the holidays. But could eat them that way any time. Even the frozen ones......in a pinch.

Brussels sprouts are also great.......(fresh quartered) sautéed with bacon, onions a little garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper, a few golden raisins, and a dash of chicken broth........ummm! Wonderful.......even my DH likes them that way and he doesn't really like Brussels sprouts. I usually make them at the holidays. But could eat them that way any time. Even the frozen ones......in a pinch.

My gosh...that sounds wonderful! Brussel sprouts around here are considered business trip food. When Mrs. K is out of the house I can have them but the reverse also goes for cottage cheese.....she only has it when I'm gone or she's somewhere where she can get it on a trip. On cruises we compromise when there's one or the other available. Then they're "kiss me now before you eat that" food. :D

When I was a little girl my Mom made calves liver with bacon & onion..Guess that's either NYC style or perhaps she learned it from her German Mother..

I love it but won't cook it a home because I get squeamish just handling it ..

We go to one local restaurant that has it & I always order it there..Have never ordered it on board a ship..

My mom made it that way too, and she was raised on a farm in Georgia.

When I'm in super strict diet mode, brussel sprouts are on my list of must eat items. Fresh, and done pretty much like you said, but without the raisins. Sometimes I just steam them.

That does it.......

I'm on a search to get calves liver special ordered from the butcher if I have to.

I want calves liver!!! :D

Sail there has to be a good butcher in your area. You are in a pretty major metropolis.

I know Stop and Shop has a lot of organs meats . I cannot vouch for them because I don't eat them. But their regular meats are usually pretty good

Funny you would mention Stop and Shop as very recently I asked one of their butchers and they offered beef liver but not calves. When I asked for calves, he snapped at me "You know how much that costs"? I was so shocked at his tone, I replied "I asked if he had it not how much it cost." I don't think he's going to be eager to special order for me. I have a nice specialty butcher shop/deli nearby and I think they'll get it on request.

If not, I'll order it by PeaPod from Stop and Shop and have it delivered. They likely will provide it.

I guess it doesn't help me that when I was a psychology intern I was working in a large medical center with regular medical interns. We were all the same age and hung out together. Because of my program I even did rounds with them, so much so that some of the attending physicians would forget I wasn't a medical intern. Anyhow, one of the tricky surgeries is liver repair.....like sewing jell-o....so there we are having lunch and these guys and gals are practicing on a piece of calf liver while I've trying to eat my lunch. Beyond description......:eek:

I just checked my cruise photos...I had liver, onions and bacon on Ryndam on February 5. ;) It was not the Veendam.

I shall book the Ryndam immediately. :D My grandmother would call me whenever she made liver and I would drive immediately to her house for lunch. AND, she always called me when she cooked tongue ... cold, sliced thin, with mayo on white bread. Yum!

I've never seen liver on a HAL menu or I know I would have ordered it. DH could have sat at another table with Randy47 that night. :D

I shall book the Ryndam immediately. :D My grandmother would call me whenever she made liver and I would drive immediately to her house for lunch. AND, she always called me when she cooked tongue ... cold, sliced thin, with mayo on white bread. Yum!

I've never seen liver on a HAL menu or I know I would have ordered it. DH could have sat at another table with Randy47 that night. :D

Anytime. :D

Liver and onions served on HAL might be just the ticket to get my dad "on board" with our cruise next year. I've been relentless in hounding my parents to join us. My mom really wants to go. My dad doesn't. His favorite food is liver and onions. . . And the signature drink card added to that?? My odds are looking better and better! Come ON, Dad!!

When I'm in super strict diet mode, brussel sprouts are on my list of must eat items. Fresh, and done pretty much like you said, but without the raisins. Sometimes I just steam them.

When I saw the recipe originally, I thought the addition of golden raisins odd. But I decided to go ahead and make it the way the chef said anyway. Glad I did. The few raisins added give the vegetable a hint of sweetness without overpowering the flavor. And they soften when you sautee the Brussels sprouts in the olive oil with the garlic and onion. You can also add a small amount of crumbled cooked bacon to it at the end. It does turn out well. In fact you can use this method (with or without the few raisins) for cauliflower, broccoli, sliced zucchini or yellow squash also. I usually only put the raisins with the Brussels sprouts. And sautéed fresh spinach in a small amount of olive oil with fresh garlic is one of my faves also. Same with sautéed shredded cabbage with a little bacon, garlic and onions. But then again, I just love vegetables so I am always looking for new ways to cook them. My DH is not so adventuresome with veggies, it has been a struggle to get him to eat more of them.

Now, how about turnip greens with diced turnips? Love those too, but it is hard to show me a vegetable I don't like. And yes, I eat meat, I am not a vegetarian!:)

That sounds yummy! Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? In the fall, they sell a "tree of Brussels sprouts"....maybe 12" to 18" tall loaded with them...it's a really good buy. Saw it in my Stop and Shop once as well. For the holidays, I roasted them in the oven on the stalk...according to the attached recipe...and that was pretty much a disaster. From then on, I removed them from the stalk first!

Archived