Calf's Liver on Veendam...

sail7seas

. . . I am partial to fresh broccoli and have to have it no matter what time of year. I will used frozen in place of fresh, but I am not too fond of canned vegetables.

My 4 year old's favorite food is broccoli any way she can get it. It's amazing. When she's eating it she likes to be called, "JJ the Broccoli Baby." LOL

All three of my kids can't seem to eat enough produce, though. It's like a bottomless pit when it comes to fruits and veggies with these three. It could be worse, right? :D

My 4 year old's favorite food is broccoli any way she can get it. It's amazing. When she's eating it she likes to be called, "JJ the Broccoli Baby." LOL

My mother used to call it "Eating Little Trees" when I was a small kid, which got my interest in the vegetable. Of course, this was way back before everything globally "went green" and harming trees became a sin. Nowadays, saying that would constitute "harming trees" and probably would not be politically correct, even if it did get your kid to eat broccoli...!!!:D

I was about to post the same thing. Some of my more unhappy childhood memories was when we had to have liver for dinner. Gag! Definitely not what I am thinking of when I order dinner in the MDR.

igraf

I can't believe so much interest in calves liver. who would have thought?

All three of my kids can't seem to eat enough produce, though. It's like a bottomless pit when it comes to fruits and veggies with these three. It could be worse, right? :D

You did something very right, Mom. To have three young 'uns who love veggies is fantastic!!! Well done. :D

Good for you! And excellent for your children! My somewhat joking about my parents and lima beans notwithstanding....it is true that as an adult they don't pass my lips....my parents exposed my sister and I to the whole range of vegetables and fruits. There really isn't much I won't eat and I thank my parents for that. Even as an adult I'm pretty adventurous and fill the role of "let Randy eat that" when we travel. My wife figures that our tastes on the whole are pretty similar and if I like something then she will too....most of the time.

I have tried to like liver,truly I have....I can remember my mother cooking it ..it always looked so delicious..simmering in gravy and onions .. the kitchen smelled wonderful ..but try as I might I could not swallow the liver ...something about the texture.

I remember when I was about ten years old I was invited to stay for dinner at my friends home....her Dad was a physician...I was horrified to discover liver was on the menu. I looked her Mom straight in the eye and told her I was allergic to liver.:o..somehow with my ten year old logic I felt a physician's wife would understand/accept allergic and not be offended.

She raised one eyebrow ,smiled and said "That's fine dear just eat the vegetables ." Lovely women.:)

Thank goodness there were no lima beans 'cause I don't like them either.:D

My mother used to call it "Eating Little Trees" when I was a small kid, which got my interest in the vegetable. Of course, this was way back before everything globally "went green" and harming trees became a sin. Nowadays, saying that would constitute "harming trees" and probably would not be politically correct, even if it did get your kid to eat broccoli...!!!:D

LOL my 5 (6 in a few weeks! yikes!) year old pretends to be a Giant when she's eating her broccoli. I've been known to make a broccoli and chicken stir fry and my girls only eat the broccoli from it.

We're blessed to live in a very eclectic state when it comes to food. The girls love Thai, Chinese, Greek, Japanese, you name it we've tried it. My girls really love sushi and sashimi. It's funny that I make dinners and the girls have spent so much time snacking on fruits and veggies that they hardly eat their dinners. They usually have it the following day for lunch. :rolleyes:

It's great that they chose healthy snacks, but it's soooooo expensive!! LOL

LOL my 5 (6 in a few weeks! yikes!) year old pretends to be a Giant when she's eating her broccoli. I've been known to make a broccoli and chicken stir fry and my girls only eat the broccoli from it.

We're blessed to live in a very eclectic state when it comes to food. The girls love Thai, Chinese, Greek, Japanese, you name it we've tried it. My girls really love sushi and sashimi. It's funny that I make dinners and the girls have spent so much time snacking on fruits and veggies that they hardly eat their dinners. They usually have it the following day for lunch. :rolleyes:

It must be a girl thing. :) My DD has always loved all kinds of vegetables. My DS , even today at 25 , can't stand them, with the exception of corn and green beans. When I met current DW her DD and Ds were exactly the same way , she loved them and he hated them.

To this day, our girls, who now have children of their own, call broccoli "trees"!

I have tried to like liver,truly I have....I can remember my mother cooking it ..it always looked so delicious..simmering in gravy and onions .. the kitchen smelled wonderful ..but try as I might I could not swallow the liver ...something about the texture.

I remember when I was about ten years old I was invited to stay for dinner at my friends home....her Dad was a physician...I was horrified to discover liver was on the menu. I looked her Mom straight in the eye and told her I was allergic to liver.:o..somehow with my ten year old logic I felt a physician's wife would understand/accept allergic and not be offended.

She raised one eyebrow ,smiled and said "That's fine dear just eat the vegetables ." Lovely women.:)

Thank goodness there were no lima beans 'cause I don't like them either.:D

Cute story, Colleen! I suspect she was "on to you"! ;)

I have two Trader Joe's with 10 miles either direction but just today learned new Whole Foods just opened about 10 miles from me. :) :) Happy dance, happy dance.

The other Whole Foods is a nuisance drive from me but this one is way more convenient. They likely will have/will get calves liver.

We have trader joe here in Portland and whole foods. New store just opened up , natural grocers. Have you tried lamb liver before ? If so , where do u find it ?

Agree this thread has been amazing. I did eat liver when I was a child. Totally loved it. Still love it but bad for me. Gotta stay healthy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My fondness for veggies is one of the reasons I just love Oriental food. Could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner...:) Now, sushi I can pass on, my fish has to be cooked.....

We had a deal in our house. My Dad was the only one who liked liver so when he had a craving for it he would make it for himself and Mom would make something for the rest of us that he didn't care for. Worked out great.

I remember going to a friends house for dinner and they served liver & onions. Can't imagine doing that unless you know your guests like it. Our kids were middle school age and I remember giving them the "look" - take a little, push it around on your plate, and we'll stop at McDonalds on the way home. :D

My fondness for veggies is one of the reasons I just love Oriental food. Could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner...:) Now, sushi I can pass on, my fish has to be cooked.....

Raw fish really has to be SUPER fresh (caught that day fresh). My 2 year old LOVES Poke (po-kay). It's a Hawaiian preparation of cubed raw fish, onions, and other seasonings. It's sooooo good and Faye will fight you for the last bite. LOL

Archived