St. Kitts/Puerto Rico v. Tortola/St. Thomas

Whimsy88

We are looking at June 2014 itineraries - one departs Canaveral and the other from Ft. Lauderdale (we have no preference there). Both go to Grand Turk and St. Maarten. The St. Kitts/Puerto Rico stops on one appeal to us for the volcanic nature of St. Kitts (maybe the scenic train) and the forts in Puerto Rico. But we are also really drawn to an excursion on the other cruise, Tortola to Virgin Gorda to the Baths. We are almost at the "flip a coin" point!:confused: I know, it's a rough life! Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

We like St Martin and St Kitt's is a nice island to tour with nice beaches.

I would choose Tortola over St Kitt's and San Juan. San Juan is OK, we've spent a few days there before and after cruises because some of the best southern Caribbean cruises are from there, and we've also cruised there twice. For a cruise stop the fort is OK, and seeing the Old Town - especially at night - is great. So you would probably find it interesting for your first visit. We look for cruises that don't stop there only because we've been there and there isn't a lot to do while on a cruise stop other than the fort and Old Town. But again a good port for the first time and great cuisine if you're there for dinner!

We would choose the Tortola option because Tortola is so beautiful. The Baths on VG are also a very unique experience that I would recommend. We stay on Tortola and are biased, but it is very nice and the people are wonderful.

Sorry - not much help!

• 1 month later...

So here's another vote.

Daughter went to Virgin Gorda and the Baths. It's not an easy walk down to the area, plus it's really a single file path and there are always people coming along the path in both directions. You really need water shoes at the Baths. Those submerged rocks are sharp. Beyond that, the water there distorts your sense of proportion, so it's easy to brush your leg against a sharp rock that you thought was several feet below you - result, cuts and bleeding. She didn't like it and wouldn't go back again.

I adore San Juan. There is so much more there than the forts (although they are in beautiful condition and offer some gorgeous views and also prompt you to think of the people who built them and the lives they were living.) You can walk along any street in OSJ and find something lovely and interesting to look at. The architecture is gobsmackingly beautiful. The food at the restos is very good. The walk below the old city's walls is beautiful with many things to look at.

St Kitts is very diverse. Fine beaches, but if you don't like that, hire a taxi guy to take you on a tour. He'll show you the old plantation where they now make batiks, the fort (just imagine yourself marooned there 200 years ago, a young soldier from Europe defending the mother country - from what?), the lava rocks that poured into the sea from the slumbering volcano.

There you go. Anyplace you go is great. You can pick the other ones next time!

Different perspectives and experiences are what Whimsy is looking for but I have to reply to your statements on the Baths as it sounds like the worst excursion in the Caribbean!

The natural paths leading from the Top of the Baths are just that - natural. They are not that difficult to navigate, even with folks going in both directions. Folks who have mobility issues will want to take a boat directly to the beach and avoid the walk of course.

Water shoes are recommended on any shore excursion because there can be rocks or other things you may not see. Just common sense, although many ppl do not take water shoes and never have these issues. And in regards to cuts and bleeding, that is the first time I've heard anyone with these problems.

The Baths are a wonderful experience for most people, the only real complaint is when you are with a large group and can't enjoy the experience as much. That's why we always recommend going on your own. Although it is possible to get hurt anywhere and I'm sorrynyou had that bad of a day, this is not a typical experience at the Baths! I just don't want someone reading this thread to shy away from visiting the Baths based on that report as this is one of the most unique experiences in the Carib.

And the charm of Old San Juan is nice at night and we love dining in the small restaurants, but the daytime activities are very limited in our opinion. All islands offer something, and it is a good idea to choose an itinerary after researching the differences - good luck!

Edited by blue_water

• 3 months later...

Wow, you've got some good choices either way.

We've been to all of those ports, at least twice, except Grand Turk.

Here is our first-hand information on excursions we've taken at these ports.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

It may help you decide. Feel free to ask any follow-up questions.