Remember: Apply for AARP Discount When Booking

EAISE

I want to pass along some savings opportunities I discovered only after booking.

If you are a AARP member, you may be eligible for reduced pricing on select cruises from $10 up to $100.00. Use promotion code AARP1 on step 1 of booking.

Check out this link for more details:

http://www.ncl.com/promo/aarp-member-savings

In addition, you may receive a 5% discount on the cruise price for any cruise that is booked at least 9 months prior to the sailing date. Use promotion code AARP1 On step 1 of booking to receive the offer. Link: http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/aarp

Edited by EAISE
Repeated sentence originally

I want to pass along some savings opportunities I discovered only after booking.

If you are a AARP member, you may be eligible for reduced pricing on select cruises from $10 up to $100.00. Use promotion code AARP1 on step 1 of booking.

Check out this link for more details:

http://www.ncl.com/promo/aarp-member-savings

In addition, you may receive a 5% discount on the cruise price for any cruise that is booked at least 9 months prior to the sailing date. Use promotion code AARP1 On step 1 of booking to receive the offer. Link: http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/aarp

Can your PCC do this for you after booking?

Many thanks for the good info!

I think the AARP discount and the senior discount are two separate things. We got the 5 per cent AARP discount by booking more than 9 month ahead. You do have to provide your AARP member number to verify you are current and your dues are paid. The senior discount is only based on age and is less restrictive and also less of a discount.

I have never found the AARP discount to be restrictive to other discounts, but I could be wrong.

Actually, my parents being AARP members saved us a THOUSAND dollars on our Garden Villa on Dawn next June, even though my husband and I are the primary guests in the room. Being 34, I have not ever given two thoughts to AARP, but they literally put $1,000.00 back in my pocket with this cruise and I could not believe it. By the way, our PCC applied this discount several days after booking when I finally got their membership numbers to him. Amazing!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by LegallyBlonder

The problem I have run into is that the AARP discount is not usually combinable with other promotions so I have come out ahead by not using it.

I ran into the same thing when checking prices. The AARP1 code gave me a higher price than without it, so check both when pricing your cruise.

We booked AARP discount it paid for itself with just this cruise

It saved us 10%, was combinable with the NCL dash sale and our TA group pricing/OBC

It was a better deal than my MIL discount we usually use and my MIL discount wasn't combinable with the dash sale

Edited by jonbgd

But, that means supporting AARP. No thank you!

AMEN! Now if only they would do the same discount for Generation America members that would be OK.

SO what am I missing about AARP? Something Political?

SO what am I missing about AARP? Something Political?

Basically yes. Mostly boils down to their support for Obamacare and lobbying to block Social Security reform. Details are available with a little web searching and AARP, beyond the topic of cruise discounts, is probably too political a subject for CC threads.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know how to apply the AARP promotion code on the new Norwegian web site? I couldn't find anywhere to put it in, and the instructions still refer to the old booking screens.

There is a block just above where you select your cabin type. However, I tried using both AARP and AARP1 neither worked and I was looking at cruises over a year out.

There is a block just above where you select your cabin type. However, I tried using both AARP and AARP1 neither worked and I was looking at cruises over a year out.

Thanks for that. Looks like you need to put in the promo code and hit the "GO" button next to it. I just tried that and it adjusted all the prices on the screen.

Thanks for that. Looks like you need to put in the promo code and hit the "GO" button next to it. I just tried that and it adjusted all the prices on the screen.

Thanks, I just tried that again and it didn't initially work. I finally put all the letters in caps and it worked fine. I didn't realize it was case sensitive.

• 3 months later...

I am also 33 and joined AARP today for the savings. Its $16/yr and saved me $400 on my sailing. Being under 50, you do not get a physical card, just a member number. That is all NCL needs to adjust rates!:)

Then call your PCC or TA and give them your member number and zip code.

Edited by duce95

But, that means supporting AARP. No thank you!

I figure the 16.00 they get for my membership is not that much support. Especially when it saved me over 140.00 and was combined with a DASH sale. My PCC actually told me about it and applied it before I joined. I just had to email and give ther my number once I joined.

AARP is not an organization that I have chosen to support. I am a conservative and I do not vote according to my pocketbook.

I (and my DH) support many charities of our choice. For years I have chosen to pay a bit more for things, including cruises, in order NOT to be a part of the liberal leanings of AARP. Why would I give them money to fight the things that I stand for? Both of my sisters are AARP members, and have received more than us in On Board credit and price reductions on their cruises (from what we have paid), so I know what it is costing me.

No, I will just pay a bit more and retain my ideals. Each to his own. You can research their political agenda with a simple google search.

AARP is not an organization that I have chosen to support. I am a conservative and I do not vote according to my pocketbook.

I (and my DH) support many charities of our choice. For years I have chosen to pay a bit more for things' date=' including cruises, in order NOT to be a part of the liberal leanings of AARP. Why would I give them money to fight the things that I stand for? Both of my sisters are AARP members, and have received more than us in On Board credit and price reductions on their cruises (from what we have paid), so I know what it is costing me.

No, I will just pay a bit more and retain my ideals. Each to his own. You can research their political agenda with a simple google search.[/size']

AARP is an organization that I have chosen to support. I am a liberal and I do not vote according to my pocketbook. For years I have chosen to pay a bit less for things, including cruises, in order to BE a part of the liberal leanings of AARP. Why wouldn't I give them money to fight for the things that I stand for? Yes, I will just pay a bit less and retain my ideals. Each to his own.;)

Sorry, I just could not resist.