Question about Car Rental return at Port Canaveral?

CableKC

I am planning a DisneyWorld / RCL Freedom of the Seas trip and had a question about getting from DisneyWorld to Port Canaveral. I was thinking of renting a car at DW and then driving to Port Canaveral...then returning the Car Rental at one of the Car Rental Agencies that is near the Port.

Any other options that I can consider to get from DisneyWorld to Port Canaveral?

If I go with the Car Rental....do you know if Car Rental Agencies have Shuttles to the Port?

or

Should I just arrange for a Taxi to get from the Rental Agency to the Port ( after I return the car )?

For the last leg of the trip ( after we get back from the Cruise ), there is the question about getting from the Port to some Hotel near the MCO / Orlando International Airport.

I assume that I'm not the only one that have run into this issue. Any other suggestions on transportation options?

I am planning a DisneyWorld / RCL Freedom of the Seas trip and had a question about getting from DisneyWorld to Port Canaveral. I was thinking of renting a car at DW and then driving to Port Canaveral...then returning the Car Rental at one of the Car Rental Agencies that is near the Port.

Any other options that I can consider to get from DisneyWorld to Port Canaveral?

If I go with the Car Rental....do you know if Car Rental Agencies have Shuttles to the Port?

or

Should I just arrange for a Taxi to get from the Rental Agency to the Port ( after I return the car )?

For the last leg of the trip ( after we get back from the Cruise ), there is the question about getting from the Port to some Hotel near the MCO / Orlando International Airport.

I assume that I'm not the only one that have run into this issue. Any other suggestions on transportation options?

There are probably others, but I know that Avis, Budget, and Hertz have shuttles to the port.

If I go with the Car Rental....do you know if Car Rental Agencies have Shuttles to the Port?budget

or

does and in florida they will let you rent from Orlando and drop at cocoa beach and take you to dock no charge then pu when cruise is over and that you back to office for return to Orlando

cocoa beach shuttle, the cheapest and most reliable shuttle I've found.

when are you going?

I tried to rent a car and drop it off but it seems they charge an extra $100 for that (enterprise, etc) and the other car rental places that don't charge are very sketchy and tend to charge you months after you return the car (a hassle I didn't want to risk).

If you find something cheaper let me know.

Alternatively you could rent a small car and leave it parked at pier, and then later return it to the same car rental place. Cheapest parking rates I saw for leaving car there was 7.99 - but for our group it wasn't feasible as we would need a much bigger vehicle for all our bags.

We rented a car from thrifty at the airport stayed at the country inn right at the port. Free parking for the week. Shuttle to and from port for free. Then just took the car right back to the airport. It was very inexpensive. I re booked the car multiple times to a cheaper rate. Just have to stay on it. I priced out everything from a limo to a shuttle. It worked out a few dollars cheaper and much more convenient. We used the rental car to store items we didn't need on the cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I tried to rent a car and drop it off but it seems they charge an extra $100 for that (enterprise, etc) and the other car rental places that don't charge are very sketchy and tend to charge you months after you return the car (a hassle I didn't want to risk).

We've used hertz and budget and never were charged anything extra. We rent from the airport a day or 2 ahead of the cruise and have transportation to get to dinner and other places. I don't find either of these companies "sketchy"

I have done this many times and just booked again for January. Renting a car from Orlando to Port Canaveral...returning the car at Alamo/Enterprise and taking their shuttle to the port. Renting a one way rental at the end of the cruise to drive back to the airport. Cheaper than using a shuttle service since we have 4 people traveling and also provides us a little flexibility with our travel plans. No extra charge for one way rentals with Alamo.

We've used hertz and budget and never were charged anything extra. We rent from the airport a day or 2 ahead of the cruise and have transportation to get to dinner and other places. I don't find either of these companies "sketchy"

I'm referring to the places that charge $11 a day and only $29 for a suv :)

So you can book hertz from Orlando and take it to Cape Canaveral drop off and arrange a shuttle from there?

Disney shuttles people from Disney to their ship. Just lie and tell them you are going on a Disney cruise then when you get off.... bolt. I don't think the Disney bus drivers carry weapons, and if they do, they are probably those ACME boxing glove guns.

You may have to make a fake Disney cruise ticket to board, but if Goofy is checking really how legit does it have to look.

(Sorry, read your post and just couldn't resist)

or

Most car rental agencies in port Canaveral have a port shuttle service.

We rented from Budget in May we were not charged anything extra. We picked up our cat at the airport and dropped it of at the Coco Beach office and they took all four of us to the ship no extra charge. Worked out cheaper than using a limo service or the shuttle services.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm referring to the places that charge $11 a day and only $29 for a suv :)

So you can book hertz from Orlando and take it to Cape Canaveral drop off and arrange a shuttle from there?

Yes, and Avis, Budget, and probably others too.

when are you going?

Alternatively you could rent a small car and leave it parked at pier, and then later return it to the same car rental place. Cheapest parking rates I saw for leaving car there was 7.99 - but for our group it wasn't feasible as we would need a much bigger vehicle for all our bags.

I was pleasantly surprised that I could rent from MCO and drop at at Cocoa Beach for no additional charge for the different location. I just booked yesterday via my AAA account for Hertz, $24/day from MCO-Cape Canaveral, total price w/ taxes was $32. The return was higher priced at $72 total, but still that is approx $100 for round-trip and having a car to go out for dinner or Wal-mart run the night before cruise, and car to explore the day we return.

All the shuttle places I looked at were at least $40/pp each way for share ride, and $99+ for a private car for two people each way...plus driver tips.

when are you going?

I'm planning on going in late July 2014. It maybe costly...but the only plan that I can come up with is to rent car for most of the road travelling that I will have to do for the Trip.

1 ) Rent Car at Disney World, drive to Port Canaveral and return there.

2 ) Rent Car at Port Canaveral and drive to MCO.

That would necessitate multiple drop off and pickups.

I'm planning on going in late July 2014. It maybe costly...but the only plan that I can come up with is to rent car for most of the road travelling that I will have to do for the Trip.

1 ) Rent Car at Disney World, drive to Port Canaveral and return there.

2 ) Rent Car at Port Canaveral and drive to MCO.

That would necessitate multiple drop off and pickups.

Depending on where you are staying at Disney World, you should be able to either ride Disney transportation to the Car Care Center and rent from Alamo or National or pick up a car at your hotel or a nearby hotel if you are staying at one of the hotels in the Downtown Disney area or nearby. There's a rundown of all the onsite car rental companies at http://www.wdwcars.com so you can see where they are all located. Every one of the major car rental companies has an office near the port with a complimentary shuttle to the port

This from my review:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=225457

We flew into Orlando airport and picked up a one way rental from Dollar at the terminal. It was $48 total for 24 hours, including $19 one way fee and taxes, plus $6 fillup upon return for a fullsize that was upgraded to a minivan for free. We had signed up for the free Express rental card, so we just walked over to the parking terminal and saw our name on a board which shows what parking spot your car is in. Jump in and drive off easy! They provide a free shuttle to the cruise ship from the Port Canaveral location, so you can't beat the price for transport of 3 people from Orlando airport to the Port Canaveral cruise terminal...

[At the end of the cruise]...Then it was back across the street to wait 30 minutes for an empty Dollar shuttle. We caught the 4th one since we were at the very end of the line. All the rental agencies and hotels seemed to send plenty of shuttles during that time for pickups. We drove the Camry, $58 total plus $8 gas, back to Orlando and stayed at a condo for the night. We dropped the car off in the parking garage and flew out of Orlando airport the next morning.

Depending on where you are staying at Disney World, you should be able to either ride Disney transportation to the Car Care Center and rent from Alamo or National or pick up a car at your hotel or a nearby hotel if you are staying at one of the hotels in the Downtown Disney area or nearby. There's a rundown of all the onsite car rental companies at http://www.wdwcars.com so you can see where they are all located. Every one of the major car rental companies has an office near the port with a complimentary shuttle to the port

It sounds like there is pick up Shuttle that would take you from the Alamo or National Car Rental at Cocoa Beach to the RCL Port for Freedom of the Seas.....but what about when we get back? I would need to rent cars to get us from Port Canaveral back to MCO. Is there regular shuttle service from the Port back to the Alamo or National Rental Agency at Cocoa Beach?

I found a discount code for Budget from MCO and dropping off at the port. Someone else had posted it on this CC. I used it to reserve a car for our upcoming cruise. The car is 42.00 for a one way rental. This is the code. Y937800

Just sharing some of the great info I have learned here from other posters.

Archived