Cell phone from Montreal to Boston?

oceanmom

Is it possible to use land-based cell towers when sailing the St. Lawrence or does the ship cell tower take precedence? As my husband says, we're on vacation, but we also have very elderly parents and adult children traveling in the Middle East so we want to be able to respond if there is an emergency. (Our cell plan includes Canada.)

This is not really a problem as the Canada/New England itineraries are in port almost every day. The actual ship sailings are mostly in the evening and at night.

igraf

Cell phone calls while sailing St. Lawrence will go through ship. You will not be on land towers until the ship is docked in port or very close to it.

Cell phone calls while sailing St. Lawrence will go through ship. You will not be on land towers until the ship is docked in port or very close to it.

Sail, when I was on my Maritime cruise last October, on Royal Caribbean, my DH and I were able to access Bell everywhere except when enroute to Newfoundland and back. To the OP, just try it once you are sailing. Make sure that your phone shows that you are connected to something other than the ship's connection before calling anyone. And if you dont need it, turn OFF your data plan.

Archived