Whats the process to bring wine onboard?

Pete69

Hi All,

So I know I need to pay the $15 corkage fee - but my question is how/when do you pay it? Also can we leave the wine in out suitcases or does it need to be in our carry on luggage for us to show upon boarding - I don't want to have to go to the naughty room to collect my suitcase.

Also do they still have wine packages on board - I recently heard that these had stopped.

Pete

Certainly keep it in your carry on luggage. They will direct you to the desk where you pay the corkage.

The wine package was still available a couple of weeks ago. The only mention I've seen about it not being available on here was a post about six months ago (followed by a few saying it is available), but perhaps I've missed something.

Carry the wine on with you. As you pass thru security in the terminal, if they see it, they will direct you to a table that is set up for the corkage process. At that table, they will look at your bottles and determine if it is just wine or something that is not permitted (such as vodka, etc.). They will write up a ticket for the bottles and ask you to sign it. They then put a sticker on the wine bottles and give them back to you. They do not collect money at the table. The charge will show up a day or two later on your onboard account (usually as a restaurant or bar charge). A couple notes: IF no one notices the bottles in your carry-on luggage, it is up to you to decide whether you take them over to the table or not. Also, sometimes, NCL doesn't have the table staffed yet, so you can decide what to do in those cases too if it happens. :-)

I packed a carry on with wine bottles. When I went through the scanner the attendant said he saw bottles of liquid in the bag I said "I know I'm bringing on wine", He then said "wow you're really honest!" ???? :D

I went over to the table and told them how many bottles I had in my bag. Pulled them out and they tagged them. FYI No one looked in or went through my bag ~ it was like an honor system. The process was very easy and at the end of the cruise I was easily refunded the corkage fees from the bottles I did not drink. :D

Is my understanding correct that untaged bottles will not be able to be used in the MDR or other dining venues - leaving only the cabin? Also that cabin attendants spotting untaged bottles in cabin will submit them for the corkage charge?

For the wine packages what would the price per bottle be for the lowest cost package? We like some pretty low cost wines (think 2 buck Chuck) that would still be under $20 with the corkage fee. But if the package price is not much more it would not make sense to lug wine around or fly with it from home.

Is my understanding correct that untaged bottles will not be able to be used in the MDR or other dining venues - leaving only the cabin? Also that cabin attendants spotting untaged bottles in cabin will submit them for the corkage charge?

For the wine packages what would the price per bottle be for the lowest cost package? We like some pretty low cost wines (think 2 buck Chuck) that would still be under $20 with the corkage fee. But if the package price is not much more it would not make sense to lug wine around or fly with it from home.

No, you won't be able to drink bottles that you haven't paid corkage on in the dining rooms. If you have any then just drink them in your room, or take a glass out with you.

I had a couple of bottles when I was on the Breakaway which I wasn't charged for (there were no scanners or desk entering the ship). I just kept them in my cupboard, not particularly hidden, but not on display. My Room Steward didn't mention them if she saw them.

With the wine package, the cheapest one works out at $22 a bottle (plus tip) so if you aren't fussed what you have then it is probably worth doing that rather than carrying bottles around. I only ever carry on because I like specific bottles.

Given NCL's system which is you pay the corkage at a table after you set up your account but before you board the ship, I always keep the wine in the carry-on. If you put it in your checked luggage you have to go down to the naughty room, stand in line, pay there & then drag your own suitcase back to your cabin. What a p.i.t.a.; I'd rather just deal with it up front & have my luggage delivered.

Last cruise it was obvious I had wine. It was in a seperate wine tote with compartments for each bottle but the tops / corks were visible. There was no table to pay so I just walked on board. The whole point was to drink some of them with dinner and on New Years' Eve. We brought them to the dining rooms & asked for them to be opened & have glasses delivered. If somebody had added the corkage to our dinner check we would have happily paid it; nobody ever did. We did always add an extra tip to the bill because even though we didn't buy the wine from NCL, the server still had to open the bottle & pour it.

... Also that cabin attendants spotting untaged bottles in cabin will submit them for the corkage charge?...

Not sure where you read this, but never, ever heard of a cabin attendant giving a hoot or a holler about what your brink aboard.

Hi All,

So I know I need to pay the $15 corkage fee - but my question is how/when do you pay it? Also can we leave the wine in out suitcases or does it need to be in our carry on luggage for us to show upon boarding - I don't want to have to go to the naughty room to collect my suitcase.

Also do they still have wine packages on board - I recently heard that these had stopped.

Pete

Someone some time ago posted these....."wine luggage for travelers" , know there are many site but just to give you an idea :)

http://www.winevine-imports.com/blog/2013/07/best-wine-luggage-for-traveling/

Is there a way to find out what the fee would be?

Here you go. This is NCL's official policy. Three liters would be $45.

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

* Norwegian encourages the responsible use of alcohol and accordingly reserves the right to permanently or temporarily revoke the drinking privileges of any guest who violates Norwegian's Guest Code of Conduct or who is deemed a danger to himself, herself or others by vessel management. Continued abuse of alcohol while sailing and/or violation of Norwegian's alcohol policy may result in immediate disembarkation.

Here you go. This is NCL's official policy. Three liters would be $45.

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

* Norwegian encourages the responsible use of alcohol and accordingly reserves the right to permanently or temporarily revoke the drinking privileges of any guest who violates Norwegian's Guest Code of Conduct or who is deemed a danger to himself, herself or others by vessel management. Continued abuse of alcohol while sailing and/or violation of Norwegian's alcohol policy may result in immediate disembarkation.

Thanks for the info!!

Archived