Cruising as a Single Parent with Minors

tinkerbell1984

I have seen some people note issues on cruising as a single parent with minors.

Now I've cruised with them before and wasn't asked for any documentation...

Nor have I seen their father in months to even get a letter of permission.

We have different last names.

Should I be concerned? We cruise Saturday!

My situation was an underage friend of my daughter traveling with us, but once they saw different last names on passport they were all over me. If you have something proving you're the legal guardian and/or a marrage liense showing the two last names you'll be OK. :)

I cruise next week and have a similar issue. When I called my PVP he said the birth certificate which clearly states I am the parent is adequate. I just hope I dont get that one diligent agent who wants the extra "suggested" notorized form from the father.

On my previous 5 cruises all with Carnival we haven't had a problem. My wife and I who I married 3 1/2 years ago both have custody of our kids so when we cruised my son wasn't with his birth mother and my step daughter whose last name is different from the rest of ours never had a problem as she was with her birth mother. Never had anyone question a thing.

I travel with 3 children all with different last names than mine. We all have passports and whether cruising or flying to Europe and going through some rigid passport control areas I have never once been asked for any other documentation. I know everyone will say to talk to a lawyer or whatever but I think you will be just fine. Heck one of the kids I travel with is half African-American and the rest of us are pale Caucasian. If the kids look like they belong with you i.e. not acting as if you've just kidnapped them then you will have trouble.

This is what Carnival says

"All guests 16 years of age or older must provide an official photo I.D. When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico."

So, if you run into issues with Homeland Security for whatever reason, you can be denied boarding and Carnival can not assist you. Travel insurance will also not pay.

My kids have the same last name as me, and I've never been asked for anything from their sperm donor. The first time around I took the divorce papers showing I had sole custody. The second time I had notarized letters where I had tried to contact him to fill out passport paperwork. I got passports issued with the letter showing I couldn't contact him, so I just took the letter and passports the next two times. Not sure if I will bother to get a letter this time or not.

I think the photo ID is key. I took my children on numerous cruises with a state ID and birth certificate the first couple of cruises and passports on the rest of the cruises. I had a notarized letter each time but was never asked to show it. Once when flying with the kids I was detained at LAX because I did not have a photo ID for the kids though I did have their birth certificates. Thankfully we were early for the flight and the authorities cleared us to board before it departed.

Statistically speaking, you won't have a problem. Iv'e cruised with my son multiple times with no letter from his sperm donor and have never been questioned by customs, etc. We do have the same last name and he has a passport. I don't have any custody paperwork because I was never married to the deadbeat. There have got to be single parents who cruise with their kids where the ex can't be contacted, doesn't see the kids, etc.

Archived