Genoa Hotel Suggestions

nitnyleo

I'll be spending 2 nights in Genoa prior to sailing Lirica in November 2005. On the one hand I'd like to be close to the port; on the other hand, I'd like to be close to the train station (I'll be arriving by train (from Rome) and I want to take a daytrip, the next day, to hike the trail in Cinque Terre). So, essentially, all I need is a place to sleep, shower and store my luggage...no luxuries; just safe and secure.

I've been checking the main travel sites; and, what is a bargain on one site, is pricey on another (vice versa).

Right now, the hotels I'm considering are the Columbus, the Novatel, the Jolly and the President.....any suggestions?

Thanks....Thom

PS: Can anyone tell me what the difference is between 1st class on an Italian train and 2nd class?

Hello Thom

In Genoa, you can be both close to the port and close to the train station.

Genoa's center is relatively small, so I think that any of your hotel choices will give you what you want, in the way of convenience to both the trains and the port.

If all you are looking for is basic hotel comfort, in my experience Novotel delivers this nicely.

In my experience, second class on Italian, and I think most European trains, is perfectly comfortable. First class is slightly more comfortable, mostly because there are usually fewer travellers in first class, which gives it a greater measure of peace and quiet. The cost difference is really not too much, so if you find yourself packed in and squeezed into second class, the conductor can usually find you a nice seat in first class if you pay the difference, if you wish.

Have a great cruise, and come back here when you get home to let us all know how it was for you.

kj

Hi Thom:

We spent a couple of nights prior to our Opera cruise last October in a small older hotel, the Agnello D'Oro, which is about a 100 yard walk from the Stazione Principe and within 5 minutes of the cruise terminal. The rooms were clean, the continental buffet breakfast excellent, and the staff friendly and helpful.Price for a double about 98 Euros.

We travelled 2nd class to the Cinque Terre for about 12 Euros one way. Trenitalia service is very good. Hope you enjoy your Lirica cruise as much as we enjoyed Opera.

Alan

I have been able to get a better sense of the city.Now that I know where the port is and that there is a 2nd train station, Stazione Principe, right near the port, the whole thing gets a little easier.

I checked out the Agnello D'Oro, Alan. It looked so charming...but they have a relatively late check-in and no elevator.

In case anyone should have the same question, I came across a nice little European site for booking hotel rooms. For the ones I have checked so far, they do offer discounted prices over the what the hotels charge on their own websites.

http://www.holidaycityeurope.com/genoahotels/index.html

And, kj, thanks for your advice on 2nd class train and possibly upgrading to 1st. And, of course, I'll be reporting back.

Thom

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested, I booked a room for 2 nites at the Hotel Savoia Genoa. It is just opposite the train station (Principe) and is a ten minute walk from the pier (we'll see)

Reviews sounded okay to good; (sounds like an above average Comfort Inn). The rate is only 72 Euros, including a hot breakfast. (Negative reviews were limited to the pink and black marble bathroom and the derelicts in the park...both sound manageable.)

If anyone has a personal experience that they would like to share, I would certainly appreciate it.

ciao,

Thom

The Jolly Hotel at the port is quite nice and in walking distance to the acquarium, plenty of restaurants and also perfect for an afternoon "passagiata".

Genoa is a great city and I hope to be able to spend more time there in the future.

(sounds religious.....)

Thanks, caviargal....the Jolly was tempting...but, I get to Genoa on Thursday afternoon, hike Cinque Terre on Friday and catch the big boat on Saturday. I'll be spending little time in my room. (My passagiata will have to be on Thursday evening.)

PS: I appreciate your posts both here and other threads I've been to. Looking forward to meeting you....someday....which is inevitable, since you do seem to sail frequently.

The Hotel President is just opposite to one of the 2 main station ( Brignole) which is the most convenient for 5terre and it's abt 5 mins by taxi to the cruise terminal

The Jolly hotel Marina (in the port) is very nice and very central located

if you like boutique hotels and old style building you can try ''locanda palazzo cicala''

One thing I will add about 2nd class train travel, which is normally what I choose.

There was no A/C a few weeks ago in our 2nd class car from Genoa to Florence. It was HOT!!! And I was pretty annoyed that they sold me a first class seat (I was with my mom and wanted the extra comfort for her) when they would have known there was no first class car on that train at all!

The ride took 5.5 hours instead of 2.5 due to "traffic". It was a long, hot ride.

Archived