Bordeaux or Burgundy

CanEcosse

We are looking at France for 2014. Would appreciate comments on a choice between the Bordeaux area cruises and the south of France (Lyon-Avignon) routes. Scenery, daylight sailing and wine focus are the priorities.

First, I really shouldn't be answering this! We did cruise on Viking'a Portraits of Southern France - Chalon-sur-Saone to Avignon - last year. Next year - October, 2014 - we'll experience their Bordeaux cruise. So I should really wait until after that to give an educated opinion! But, that being said, here's my thoughts!

Viking only announced their Bordeaux cruise - Chateaux, Rivers and Wine - after we were home from the Rhone River cruise - Portraits of Southern France takes place on the Sasone & Rhone Rivers. We actually chose that cruise because of DH's interst in Rhine Valley wines and the opportunity to visit Chateauneuf de Pape. IF the Bordeaux cruise had been available that's where we would have gone! But that might be because DH first became interested in wine in the 70s (1970s that is!) when French Bordeaux was THE wine. But even though our tastes now are much more world-wide - Australia, New Zeeland, Argentinia, Chile, Spain, etc and, of course the west coast - the Bordeaux area has always been a dream!!

So I can't yet give a first-person account of a Bordeaux cruise but I do think from Viking's itenary it'll be much, much more wine-intensive than the Rhone cruise. It's a much, much smaller sailing area and, if I remember correctly, all of the excursions are wine-based. (There is an optional one to the Atlantic coast that I'm looking forward to!!) The Rhone cruise included Lyon - great city and grastronomic center! - and Arles - VanGogh "city" - and Avignon - Pont du Gard and Papal Palace. There were also 3 wine based tours that were included.

Scenery was fabulous - I especially enjyed the experience of going through the lock, but I know that's not everyone's favorite!

Daylight sailing - we did some sailing during the day and arriving after dark in Lyon was magical with all the lights of the city!!!

I think you real all the itineraries carefully to decide just what you want to see and experience, especially regarding wine!!

Here's my slide show of our cruise: Cruise SlideShow

We also did a pre-cruise in Paris and post-cruise in Nice. Next year we're planning on spending pre-time in Paris but haven't decided about post-time. Just something to think about if you want to tag on some extra wine-time!

We also did a pre-cruise in Paris and post-cruise in Nice. Next year we're planning on spending pre-time in Paris but haven't decided about post-time. Just something to think about if you want to tag on some extra wine-time!

Peg - somehow missed the fact that you did a post-cruise in Nice. Can you share some insights about hotels, restaurants etc? We are planning on a couple of days pre-cruise there next year.

Thanks so much.

Fran

Hi Fran ~ yes, we stayed post-cruise 2 nights in Avignon and 4 in Nice. We had been to Nice for part of a June day during a Med cruise, loved it and alwasy wanted to return. Nice in October/November was lovely - personally for us would have been perfect except for the cloud of hurrican Sandy hitting the NYC/NJ area while we were there - a very tense time even thousands of miles away! (Thankfully our family suffered minimal loses - we lost a 20 year-old tree, took weeks & weeks to get rid of it; daughter & SIL lost everything stored in co-op basement; other sons lost power for days or weeks. But, compared to others, we were very fortunate!)

But Nice ~ we stayed in the Hotel du Suede, Nice - recommended by our DD & SIL. It wasn't on the Promenade but just a few blocks from it and not too far from the tram. Around the corner from the hotel the street was a pedestrian mall - the Rue Messena - filled with shops, stores and places to eat - many serving pizza or Italian food. We were looking for something more French Provence so we ate in Maison de Marie, great but expensive; Cafe de Nice, very good; we ate an Ok meal at another cafe bu can't remember the name. We also ate a large lunch by the harbor - we have a recommendation for Les Pecheurs but it was closed so we ate a very good meal at Paloma Cantina. That evening we had some fabulous cheese, olives, fruit, bread and wine in our room as a snack!!!

One place not to miss in Nice is the Cours Saleya, Flower Market - which has just as much fruit, vertables, chesse, oilve oil, etc!!! Its in Old Town and everyone heads there! Its surroundes by cafes - outdoor in the good weather! - and while our SIL says "stay away, they're too touristy" they're great for a hot/cold drink depending on weather! Last time we were there we had lunch down on the beach, opposite the Opera House in a nice place - didn't get to see if it was open this time.

Anyway the market - that's when I wished we had an apartment - not that I was looking to cook but the food is SO fabulous looking!!! I was able to buy very small bottle of olive oil - think they came 4 or 6 in a package - for gifts for some friends!

We also easily visited Monoca and St Paul de Vince via public buses - 1 euro pp each way!!! Both were great trips and great scenery along the way!

Hope this has been helpful - sorry to be a pest but here's my Provence silde show: Provence Slide Show

Having sailed both the Rhone and the Gironde, I would recommend Burgundy! We did it last year with Vantage and loved it. The wines we tasted, the cheese we bought,etc.

The story and pictures are on our website. We are always happy to answer questions.

Archived