Disney Customer Service

Host Mick

We found this to be true with all of the Palo managers. PJ was great, and Marco was AWESOME!!!

Also found that many of the other CM's remember us, from the CD's to dining room servers.

I think that's just a matter of how many times you've cruised on the same ship/cruise line, and how well known you make yourself.

When you have one of the "premier" suites, they make it their business to remember. I have a feeling that not too many people who cruise in the inside cabins would have the same recognition. In other words, I don't think that's so much of a "service" plus, as it is a "suite" plus.

Yes I am impressed how much they remember us, even a stateroom host on the Wonder in August recalled us from the Magic in 2010' he made his way up to our rom to say hello a couple if times which was nice. I find Palo and Concierge remember us the most, maybe as a tip position.

How good and how accurate DCL's phone service is depends totally on which person you get on the call. We've been given wrong info more than a few times (sometimes I knew it was wrong) and had the "run around" experience when I was totally clear from the beginning as to what I needed. On the other hand, we've had great handling of calls too.

I was shocked to learn that some of the phone people have never even see the ships, much less cruised. Seems that making a tour part of orientation could be helpful.

How good and how accurate DCL's phone service is depends totally on which person you get on the call. We've been given wrong info more than a few times (sometimes I knew it was wrong) and had the "run around" experience when I was totally clear from the beginning as to what I needed. On the other hand' date=' we've had great handling of calls too.

I was shocked to learn that some of the phone people have never even see the ships, much less cruised. Seems that making a tour part of orientation could be helpful.[/quote']

I believe this to be true with most, if not all cruise lines. I have also received erroneous information on two different CC boards (twice to be exact).

Though I rely more on the information provided through reviews and comments, than an operator reading from a manual.

How good and how accurate DCL's phone service is depends totally on which person you get on the call. We've been given wrong info more than a few times (sometimes I knew it was wrong) and had the "run around" experience when I was totally clear from the beginning as to what I needed. On the other hand' date=' we've had great handling of calls too.

I was shocked to learn that some of the phone people have never even see the ships, much less cruised. Seems that making a tour part of orientation could be helpful.[/quote']

I totally agree!

Absolutely agree!

I wonder if they even have to go to "Traditions"?

I was disappointed that Crew for the ships were now only doing 1 day instead of 2 a few years ago. Day one Disney "Traditions" and Day 2 shipboard safety and regulations, training etc used to be the norm with a test at the end.

I don't even think they do Wet Drill at CC anymore but have substituted it for a swimming pool.

These cost cutting procedures not only lower the cost, but also the training and experience IMO.

ex techie

Disney customer service is truly top notch. I've sailed on quite a variety of cruise lines (DCL, HAL, NCL, Princess, MSC Cruises, Costa, Silversea, Azamara, Carnival, Celebrity, Cunard, Royal Caribbean, American Queen Steamboat Co.) and only one line has been able to match the overall friendliness, willingness, enthusiasm, and genuine sincerity of Disney Cruise Line customer service. That line is Azamara. I'm essentially speaking of the officers and crew onboard the ships, but Disney is also #1 when it comes to shoreside service. They are not perfect, but considering what a giant organization they are and how many people experience Disney in some way on a daily basis, they are obviously doing something very right.

I don't have kids, but the Disney level of service along with the overall quality of the product, the amazing entertainment, the attention to detail, and the incredibly beautiful ships are what keeps me coming back to Disney over and over again. There is simply nothing like them at sea, and I think they are worth every penny!

Ernie

Yes I am impressed how much they remember us, even a stateroom host on the Wonder in August recalled us from the Magic in 2010' he made his way up to our rom to say hello a couple if times which was nice. I find Palo and Concierge remember us the most, maybe as a tip position.

As with store cards noting what you like, what you buy regularly and offering discounts, DCL also link CM and Guests together in an inventory.

All part of the Guest experience to "remember" a Guest, and a quick and easy reminder to the CM via a print out in their pigeon hole or handed out does the job!

Exceed they're expectations "Create dreams and preserve the “magical guest experience”. Such a simple way to make it seem like magic and remember someones surname, when they cruised, what cruise etc

ex techie

As with store cards noting what you like, what you buy regularly and offering discounts, DCL also link CM and Guests together in an inventory.

All part of the Guest experience to "remember" a Guest, and a quick and easy reminder to the CM via a print out in their pigeon hole or handed out does the job!

Exceed they're expectations "Create dreams and preserve the “magical guest experience”. Such a simple way to make it seem like magic and remember someones surname, when they cruised, what cruise etc

ex techie

On our last cruise, one CM made a comment about how much my daughter had grown up since her picture "ON THE PRINT OUT WE GOT ON THE VIP CRUISERS." We aren't VIPs in any way, but have cruised DCL many times, so I'm assuming they handed out a list of high level repeaters. This was on the recent 12 night Meds with new ports, so there were several families who were double/triple platinum or more. However, this was the first time we'd been aware of such a list being sent out, and it obviously included photos.

That said, several years ago it made our day when a YAC CM SCREAMED my daughter's name from her spot on the deck 4 balcony as we boarded. It was quite incredible as it had been more than a year since we'd seen her.

On our last cruise' date=' one CM made a comment about how much my daughter had grown up since her picture "ON THE PRINT OUT WE GOT ON THE VIP CRUISERS." We aren't VIPs in any way, but have cruised DCL many times, so I'm assuming they handed out a list of high level repeaters. This was on the recent 12 night Meds with new ports, so there were several families who were double/triple platinum or more. However, this was the first time we'd been aware of such a list being sent out, and it obviously included photos.

That said, several years ago it made our day when a YAC CM SCREAMED my daughter's name from her spot on the deck 4 balcony as we boarded. It was quite incredible as it had been more than a year since we'd seen her.[/quote']

It's a shame sometime to spoil the Magic of Disney, but when one asks.

And some CM's may remember a Guest by first name, behaviour, a special conversation or such from a previous cruise.

For those that are wow'd by information from previous cruises and that they "remember you and what you liked" just either believe in the "Magic" or accept that profiling is part of the "Magic"

You obviously see the difference moki'smommy and appreciate it! ;)

ex techie

It's a shame sometime to spoil the Magic of Disney, but when one asks.

And some CM's may remember a Guest by first name, behaviour, a special conversation or such from a previous cruise.

For those that are wow'd by information from previous cruises and that they "remember you and what you liked" just either believe in the "Magic" or accept that profiling is part of the "Magic"

You obviously see the difference moki'smommy and appreciate it! ;)

ex techie

Your right on point techie!

No one is saying there isn't good service on some of the other lines, but its the *Pixie Dust*, the *Magic * that sets CM's on DCL head and shoulders above the rest.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

On our last cruise' date=' one CM made a comment about how much my daughter had grown up since her picture "ON THE PRINT OUT WE GOT ON THE VIP CRUISERS." We aren't VIPs in any way, but have cruised DCL many times, so I'm assuming they handed out a list of high level repeaters. This was on the recent 12 night Meds with new ports, so there were several families who were double/triple platinum or more. However, this was the first time we'd been aware of such a list being sent out, and it obviously included photos.

That said, several years ago it made our day when a YAC CM SCREAMED my daughter's name from her spot on the deck 4 balcony as we boarded. It was quite incredible as it had been more than a year since we'd seen her.[/quote']

I know from the comments made to me there was no way of CMs remembering me from the previous cruise, so there was some kind of printout, which was noticeable in concierge meet and in Palo.they knew my cruises and the dates I had been to Palo, that I had Palo in my room, and also when I went to Tritons for lunch and was told a 40 odd minute wait, and must share a table, when I said my room number the 40 mins disappeared, and we were at our own table in a minute or two.

No one is saying there isn't good service on some of the other lines' date=' but its the *Pixie Dust*, the *Magic * that sets CM's on DCL head and shoulders above the rest.

AKK[/quote']

Thank Skipper!

It does create that "magic" for some and is a great Disney touch!

It does bewilder me that some seem to think they are remembered, when they sailed, and when they have a reservation, and the last reservation they had, and be AMAZED the CM would call them by name! THEY HAVE A PHOTO OF THEM!!!! (That embarking photo for the KTTW card....... Not just for them or for Shutter's) and even go to the extent of thinking the CM's do research on the Guests and try to look up the photo of a previous cruise????

NOPE

You are in the system, logged, attitude, likes, dislikes, complaints, complements, preferred dining time, ages of kids, shore ex requests, room service orders, and room service times for those, if you asked for valet laundry or did self service, the list just goes on and on!.

All in there. All logged.

I do have to wonder how some can afford to cruise with such innocence and naivete!

I admire them though and love it!

ex techie

...... You are in the system, logged, attitude, likes, dislikes, complaints, complements, ....... the list just goes on and on!.

All in there. All logged......

Are past tip amounts also logged? Or at least rated; high, medium, low?

Curious

TIA

Are past tip amounts also logged? Or at least rated; high, medium, low?

Curious

TIA

On another CC board, a member was on a galley tour on another line. At one point he snapped a photo of a bulletin board in the galley and on it was a list of the passengers that opted out of the pre-paid tips. There was a lot of speculation on why that list would be posted for the servers to see.

1- I see this thread has been coped to another forum now, that quite often is a bit behind! 2- I can only see them writing very limited notes, there are either 2,700 or 4,000 on board, and that would be a mammoth task. I can see concierge and Guest services and Palo making some notes and if something very special occurring, the database would be limited for data protection reasons, and attitude if cruisers would not be on there, hobbies and likes maybe. If they out negative comments on there is always the risk of the cruiser seeing it. That would be a problem. Now refunds and discounts might be on there, I can't see how a tipping record would work as a lot of people do it in cash, ie I pre pay base tips that maybe on record but I always add cash, the person who gets that wouldn't log it would they?

On another CC board, a member was on a galley tour on another line. At one point he snapped a photo of a bulletin board in the galley and on it was a list of the passengers that opted out of the pre-paid tips. There was a lot of speculation on why that list would be posted for the servers to see.

I read this, it was a few years back, is dangerous as a lot of people pay cash, so if they saw a list it's counter productive as the cruiser might leave cash at the end but if they give bad service as they expect no tip, then they will not get a tip.

No one is saying there isn't good service on some of the other lines' date=' but its the *Pixie Dust*, the *Magic * that sets CM's on DCL head and shoulders above the rest.

AKK[/quote']

We've had similar experiences as those that some of the above posters have talked about on other cruise lines, too, though.

I think it really depends on how often you cruise with the same company and the contacts that you make at the time.

I know from the comments made to me there was no way of CMs remembering me from the previous cruise, so there was some kind of printout, which was noticeable in concierge meet and in Palo.they knew my cruises and the dates I had been to Palo, that I had Palo in my room, and also when I went to Tritons for lunch and was told a 40 odd minute wait, and must share a table, when I said my room number the 40 mins disappeared, and we were at our own table in a minute or two.

ALL of the CM's on all cruise lines know which rooms are suites, especially the "upper" suites like the Walt and Roy, or the Owner's Suites on NCL, etc.

And I actually think it's kind of sad in one way, but a perk of paying more for your room, that the suite guests get special attention.

I feel badly for the other people waiting in line, wondering why this particular family got to go ahead of everyone else....because they don't know that family is staying in a suite and paid more for the special attention. But, when you pay that much, you've bought the right to skip the lines and such.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing.....it's just the way the whole world works.....like tipping your way into a crowded restaurant.

When we've cruised in suites, on any line, my husband refuses to take advantage of that kind of "perk". He can't stand to step ahead of people who've been waiting. He doesn't think it's fair, no matter how much we paid. In his mind, and I agree with him, we didn't pay extra for a suite in order to get cuts in line....we pay for the extra space and the things that come along with it, like the villa area on NCL or the lounge, etc, on Disney.

Edited by MizDaisy

We've had similar experiences as those that some of the above posters have talked about on other cruise lines, too, though.

I think it really depends on how often you cruise with the same company and the contacts that you make at the time.

I agree with you, when we were on a RCI cruise we were treated the majority of the time as a wallet, there were a few good service exceptions. I recall that I had purchased for soda packages for the whole family, three of us where there my son in the room, the server at a bar refused to serve us, and when I politely asked why not, she said, as you could have stolen it! Really three of use there with four canisters and accused of stealing one, she even spoke loud as the full queue could hear it. I went straight to guess services, they didn't apologise and said it was possible we could have stolen one. It was more about revenue protection than logic and customer service. So after guess services saying I was wrong, we went to another bar, and again three of us with four canisters and the sever filled them all without question. So there policy wasn't consistent. I would say they did some good customer service at a meet the managers event, I was approached by the food and beverage manager, he insisted that I tell him if there were any issues so after a few times of asking I replied politely I was very disappointed with the rather poor coffee in the MDRs from then on I got the normally 'paid for' specially coffees like a mocha for free with the meals.

ALL of the CM's on all cruise lines know which rooms are suites, especially the "upper" suites like the Walt and Roy, or the Owner's Suites on NCL, etc.

And I actually think it's kind of sad in one way, but a perk of paying more for your room, that the suite guests get special attention.

I feel badly for the other people waiting in line, wondering why this particular family got to go ahead of everyone else....because they don't know that family is staying in a suite and paid more for the special attention. But, when you pay that much, you've bought the right to skip the lines and such.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing.....it's just the way the whole world works.....like tipping your way into a crowded restaurant.

When we've cruised in suites, on any line, my husband refuses to take advantage of that kind of "perk". He can't stand to step ahead of people who've been waiting. He doesn't think it's fair, no matter how much we paid. In his mind, and I agree with him, we didn't pay extra for a suite in order to get cuts in line....we pay for the extra space and the things that come along with it, like the villa area on NCL or the lounge, etc, on Disney.

Yes agree and to be honest didn't use it as a perk, I thought that was the reason, when we were told that there was a long wait, I thought ok let's go to beach blanket, then he took our number and in a second we had a table, now they did it in a nice way, I would hate to be seen jumping a line so didn't say anything but went with the flow. Now it was our only lunch in a MDR and a random late decision. I think as a concierge I use few of the perks, the only things were an extra palo brunch, and PLO in room for dinner, that's it. Oh should add my kids hammed the free Internet, and we did have automatic free soda in cans!

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

I was just thinking about something. I wonder if anyone else has thought about this....

Disney only had two ships for such a long time. Now, of course, they have two more...

But it really just struck me that if you only have two...then still only four...ships, wouldn't it be much easier to provide better service, to remember repeat passengers, or to at least have the feedback appear that it's better service, because there's a tighter customer base?

I also wonder if, because Disney is the only one to provide one particular product, that of course being "Disney"....if it isn't just perceived as "better"??

It's easy to be a big fish in a little pond.

I was just thinking about something. I wonder if anyone else has thought about this....

Disney only had two ships for such a long time. Now, of course, they have two more...

But it really just struck me that if you only have two...then still only four...ships, wouldn't it be much easier to provide better service, to remember repeat passengers, or to at least have the feedback appear that it's better service, because there's a tighter customer base?

I also wonder if, because Disney is the only one to provide one particular product, that of course being "Disney"....if it isn't just perceived as "better"??

It's easy to be a big fish in a little pond.

Well they have to look after you, now overall on passenger numbers its not just two more ships, Magic and Wonder can take 2,700 people the new ships both can take 4,000' to there passenger numbers are up from 5,400 to 13,400 and if you think the Dream actually does two cruises a week that increases there capacity per week further by another 4,000. So the best form of advertising is repeat business and recommendations and until now DCL hasn't really gone hard sell and advertised its product. Now with other cruise lines with newer ships, catching up on kids clubs and characters and even fireworks, and other lines with more interesting ports of call, DCL to charge extra prices has to deliver on great customer service. Now it is harder on higher volumes of cruisers, and more ships to give personal service and recall people. Treating people as people and not numbers and not wallets.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

Well they have to look after you, now overall on passenger numbers its not just two more ships, Magic and Wonder can take 2,700 people the new ships both can take 4,000' to there passenger numbers are up from 5,400 to 13,400 and if you think the Dream actually does two cruises a week that increases there capacity per week further by another 4,000. So the best form of advertising is repeat business and recommendations and until now DCL hasn't really gone hard sell and advertised its product. Now with other cruise lines with newer ships, catching up on kids clubs and characters and even fireworks, and other lines with more interesting ports of call, DCL to charge extra prices has to deliver on great customer service.

I don't know about the UK, but there has always been plenty of advertising here in the US. Everyone remembers the advertisement from years ago, about the little girl telling everyone on the elevator that their new baby was a "souvenir" from their Disney cruise. :p

Agreed, the newer ships hold more passengers, but that doesn't make up for the numbers of passengers on lines that have 10 or more ships.

I think that if you have a room full of 50 people, it's going to be easier to make sure that they are entertained and happy, when compared to a room full of 200 people....simply because everyone's idea of "excellent" is so different.

Also, most of the time, people taking a Disney cruise already LOVE Disney....so they are pretty much guaranteed to get what they enjoy....in terms of entertainment definitely.

It's a lot harder to entertain and please a wide range of individuals when you don't already have that core passion for a product.

I am not sure if your agreeing for me or not????

I have seen enough to know that CM's with DCL almost always go way beyond other lines!. Now that doesn't mean they are 100% perfect either, anyone can have a off day!.

Pssst................your talking to me again???.........I would prefer that, Thank You!:D

AKK

I am not sure if your agreeing for me or not????

I have seen enough to know that CM's with DCL almost always go way beyond other lines!. Now that doesn't mean they are 100% perfect either' date=' anyone can have a off day!.

Pssst................your talking to me again???.........I would prefer that, Thank You!:D

AKK[/quote']

I DO agree that Disney does a great job. I don't recall ever saying they didn't.....except in the case of my accident onboard where they honestly, no other word for it, lied to me. But my case, thankfully, I think is an exception.

Obviously we loved Disney, or we wouldn't have cruised with them however many times it was....13 I think. And if the opportunity arises, I'd go again.

My only point, ever, is that they aren't always the best fit for everyone. So yes, I guess in that sense, I am agreeing with you.

Obviously, if you ask on any "Disney" board, people are going to say that they have the best product, the best service, etc.....and yes, I know that some of the travel magazines, etc, have named them best "in their category"....but that's what I was saying above.....for what they offer, which is DISNEY....they are the best....but they're also the only ones, and they are smaller than almost all of the other lines, so...."big fish in a little pond"....it's also easier to be "the best".

Does that make sense?