What should we do in Freeport?

katie286

We'll be in Freeport from 8:00 - 4:00 in august. What can someone recommend there? In Nassau we will be heading over to the Breezes Resort and buy a day pass and spend the day there. Is there anything like this in Freeport? Someone mentioned that the Sheraton/Wyndham at Lucaya Beach is no longer letting cruise passengers stay for the day. If this is true, can someone recommend another beach or resort. Thanks.

Stay on the ship! Seriously, Freeport is the WORST port we've EVER visited. It is truly embarassing that cruise lines continue to offer Freeport as a port of call. I was just there last week and practically every single person I talked to agreed that if Freeport was listed as a port of call for a future cruise, they would NOT go on the cruise.

Come on bride, Freeport is not that bad. It's not great by any means, but staying on board is not the solution either. Katie, check the other postings already on here for my tips and the tips of others. The port area is industrial and depressing and not the place to spend the day when for $5 you can take a taxi to the International Bazaar or Port Lucaya Marketplace and the Our Lucaya Resort. (Sheraton/Westin)

Don't know if the resort has a day pass or not, but you don't really need it. The beaches are public and there is a boardwalk to the beach, so you can hang out right behind the resort if you want to. If you want to eat at the resort they're not going to turn away customers.

So whether it's the beach or some shopping, spend at least a half-day in town and you won't regret it. It doesn't have the history of Nassau but it's still a worthwhile stop.

BobK/Orlando

just off: Sea Princess

I totally disagree about the International Bazaar--it's a complete and total joke. It's a total waste of space and definitely not worth the $10 cab fare per person. You *will* regret going there...cruise lines should be embarassed to recommend it as a place to go. I was serious about staying on the ship--it's very, very nice to get the whole pool area to yourself for a change! I personally enjoy being on the ship while everyone else is in port...talk about peaceful!!!

Coolcruise02, I had the same question since we're on the same cruise. I just found the site below and it says the markets are closed on Sunday. (I took the "www." off the front of the web address because I don't know if I can post a direct link on this site.)

We've booked an excursion through RCI that includes shopping at Port Lucaya on the Sunday stop. Now I'm wondering if I should just cancel it. :confused: Hopefully someone who's been in the Lucaya marketplace on a Sunday will post.

geographia.com/grandbahama/shopping.htm

Cheryl

My recollection about our Freeport/Lucaya visit a few years ago (which was on a Sunday) was that at Port Lucaya, the restaurants and many of the shops did open but not until around 11am. The restaurants opened for lunch as well.

We had gone directly there via taxi from the ship first thing that morning so we had to hang around awhile before the shops opened. We spent an hour or so wandering around the Our Lucaya resort complex across the street from Port Lucaya, as well as on the beach behind the resort.

We also went to the International Bazaar that day but most of the shops remained closed; just a few openings.

BobK/Orlando

We stopped in Freeport this past Spring on Fantasy. We decided to take a snorkeling excursion in Freeport since there was not much else to do there. Then when we stopped in Nassau we did most of our shopping and sight seeing. That worked out perfectly. The snorkeling was great! We took an afternoon tour so we were able to spend a leisurely morning on the ship and then go snorkeling and then be back before the ship departed.

Tony.

Geez, if most of the shops are closed on Sunday, why would cruise ships schedule passengers to be there that day? I'm on RCI Grandeur and they could just as easily have swapped the Coco Cay and GB stops. Not that it sounds like I'm going to be missing much with the shops being closed, anyway. BTW we are only scheduled to arrive at 2pm.

Royal Caribbean wants just one ship per day at Coco Cay so that would limit when Grandeur can visit there. Also, Freeport is north of Coco Cay and Nassau is the farthest south, so it would prefer to do them in order. The Majesty of the Seas 3-night cruise visits Nassau on Sundays and there are far fewer stores open for their visit as well.

BobK/Orlando

The Dawn made an unscheduled stop at Freeport last year, due to bad weather. No time to do any research, so just got off the ship to explore. Agree that the port area is dreadful, however, got shared a taxi which took us to a beach behind a hotel (haven't got a clue where this was), we agreed to meet at a certain return time. Beach was great! The water was wonderfully clear and we had a great day, much better than staying on the ship. That beach was one of the high spots on the trip, one which, if we had just gone on the state of the port, we would not have done. Taxi was there ready and waiting for the return.

Any suggestions on what you would do if you were in Freeport froom 6:30am to 1:30pm?? What does one do in a port that early!!!! I know that some of you would stay on the ship......but with 4 sea days, I look forward to getting off for a little bit! Thanks

Jusdt back from the detoured Elation cruise that was scheduled to go to Mexico & Belize but thanks to Hurricane Emily...went to the Bahamas. When we got to Freeport a band started playing and then soon another marching band showed up and played for over 2 hours!! We had no time to research so we took a CCL excursion. We booked the Tranquility Shores trip with lunch. ($49.00pp) The beach was lovely. They had a band going constantly--with nice music. They had several games going on....like egg toss, limbo, learn to dance, etc. Lunch and a drink were included. Right on the beach was a bar/resturant that served the food and drink (could buy more/other drinks there too!) No umbrellas but several chairs available. One could rent paddle boats, jet skis or tube ride. (Be sure to try to bargain with jet ski/tube ride guy. Price not definite!) Bad part.....no umbrellas so we stayed in bar area....but great view, could see everything. Very calm water but no toys other than ones you can rent. Bring frisbee, or some other toys if you want to play in sand or water. Good part....beautiful water, no one walking beach to sell things--sellers are at tables before intering bar area....very clean bathrooms and shower area. We enjoyed the day. Hope you do too!:)

TonyCruise....did you book a ship's excursion for that snorkel trip? Where did they take you?

I too am dreading Freeport (were there once two years ago) and was wondering if we should just stay on the ship. But we love to snorkel! That would make my day! Thanks for your help.

TonyCruise....did you book a ship's excursion for that snorkel trip? Where did they take you?

I too am dreading Freeport (were there once two years ago) and was wondering if we should just stay on the ship. But we love to snorkel! That would make my day! Thanks for your help.

Yes, I booked through Carnival. They use a company called Reef Tours: http://www.bahamasvacationguide.com/reeftours/reeftours2.html#snorkel

They take you by bus to a marina and then you snorkel off of Lucaya beach. Very nice spot. When we went it was a little cloudy and choppy but we still loved it. They do pack a lot of people on the boat though so just be aware.

Tony

My family of 5 stopped in Freeport last month off the Grandeur. We took a taxi to the Lucaya shopping/beach area. The fare was $5.00 pp each way. The driver dropped us off at the shopping area and suggested we first visit the beach across the street by walking through the Sheraton. As we arrived on the beach, a group of hotel guests offered us their chairs as they were leaving. We placed our things (including the ship towels) on the chairs and headed for the water. A couple of minutes later we noticed a man removing our things and putting them on the sand. My husband went over and explained that hotel guests had offered us these chairs. He was told that ONLY hotel guests may use the chairs. While we were there, we noticed that hotel guests had colored wrist bands. If they needed a chair, one was taken out, however as soon as the guest left the beach, the chair was taken away, and piled and tied up until the next guest arrived. Anyone with a ship towel was sitting in the sand. We spent most of our time in the water which was very nice. Before heading back to the ship, we walked around the shopping area for a bit. Since it was Sunday, only about half the shops were open, mostly the "straw market" kind of shops. There were plenty of taxis waiting to take us back to the ship. We were glad we got off the ship since this was our first time in Freeport but we would probably not go back to that beach since we felt a bit unwelcome.

Archived