World Cruise Sea Day Activities

ricki

Does anyone have any idea about what is planned by Oceania for sea days on board the World Cruise? Will there be enrichment activities? I know Oceania already offers art lessons and occasional cooking classes, but will more activities be available? Can we expect lectures by experts in their fields? Book groups? Writing workshops? Etc. As exciting as the itinerary is on a World Cruise, sea days are important, too.

Hopefully, someone will be able to answer this question. Thanks in advance!

Ricki

Does anyone have any idea about what is planned by Oceania for sea days on board the World Cruise? Will there be enrichment activities? I know Oceania already offers art lessons and occasional cooking classes, but will more activities be available? Can we expect lectures by experts in their fields? Book groups? Writing workshops? Etc. As exciting as the itinerary is on a World Cruise, sea days are important, too.

Hopefully, someone will be able to answer this question. Thanks in advance!

Ricki

All of the above and trivia.

I am answering my own question, I think. I called Oceania, and the representative said that they had no information that anything was beng planned for sea days in terms of lectures or other activities. That is very unfortunate.

Ricki

because the ship is not set up for it.. only Marina and Riveria

Perhapse they can substitute on deck bonfires, human sacrifices and wresteling matches... region appropiriate naturaly.:rolleyes:

Art classes do not require a specific studio such as the Artists' Loft on Riviera and Marina. The Art at Sea program on Crystal is held every sea day afternoon in a section of the Lido Cafe.

Ricki

I am answering my own question, I think. I called Oceania, and the representative said that they had no information that anything was beng planned for sea days in terms of lectures or other activities. That is very unfortunate.

Ricki

I would not despair. It's far too soon to know exactly what they'll plan for this cruise in 2015. Also, the representative on the phone is not likely to have that type of information on hand at this point.

You'll be looked after - no worries :)

I've never been on a cruise -- Oceania or otherwise -- that didn't have activities planned for sea days. And this cruise will have many of them.

They won't necessarily have a lecture every day! But I'm sure they will have SOMETHING.

Given the length of the cruise, I'm guessing that they will be picking up lecturers at ports along the way -- they'll stay on board for a week or two, and then will be replaced by someone new. I doubt anyone would have enough material for 6 months of talks! (And I assume that most entertainers will come on for short stints as well. How many times can you see the same show?)

But I also would not worry that you'll have to entertain yourself on those days.

We traveled with a lecturer on our first Marina cruise in the Med, Oct '11. George gave several talks on the 14 day cruise, but certainly not every day.

Coincidentally, on that cruise there was a "volunteer" lecturer who talked about Hollywood movies and movie stars. He wasn't talking about contemporary Hollywood but the good old days. These weren't topics that I would have expected to interest me but I found them very enjoyable. He had excellent movie clips to show in support of his talks.

You never know if you'll find such a volunteer on the world cruise.

Mura

Trivia is going to be a challenge for some cruise staff member - that's a lot of days/quizzes to do without repeating questions.

As mentioned it is early to have a lot of details. I would expect a range of guest speakers that come and go by segment, This is a first for Oceania and at 180 days something very special in the cruise industry - I expect Oceania will want to make sure they have a successful cruise with good feedback. I will be doing a live-from thread.

There are a number of cabins available so there may be some segment sales opening in a couple weeks

Thanks to all who posted. I'm familiar with the fact that lecturers and entertainers arrive and depart frequently during longer cruises. I'm certain it is premature to know WHO will be speaking, but I just wanted reassurance that enrichment activities were planned.

Ricki

On our last Oceania cruise, there was a fabulous bridge teacher who held beginner and intermediate classes on sea days. Barbara Seagram was an excellent and knowledgeable teacher. She also hosted duplicate bridge in the afternoon on sea days. Classes and games were held in Polo.

Art classes do not require a specific studio such as the Artists' Loft on Riviera and Marina. The Art at Sea program on Crystal is held every sea day afternoon in a section of the Lido Cafe.

Ricki

The guy is a real card, huh Ricki?

I might add that Ricki is a very sophisticated, very intelligent, very experienced luxury cruiser, and the implication (common from this poster) that anyone who asks about entertainment is a rube who belongs on a Carnival ship is, IMO, offensive.

The guy is a real card, huh Ricki?

I might add that Ricki is a very sophisticated, very intelligent, very experienced luxury cruiser, and the implication (common from this poster) that anyone who asks about entertainment is a rube who belongs on a Carnival ship is, IMO, offensive.

Thank you, Danny, I appreciate your support! There are always a few on each board...

Ricki

Archived