Hello everyone, new here...

welovedis

Just wanted to say hello & introduce myself! While I am losing weight for overall health, the benefit of looking & feeling better when we cruise is an added incentive! I'm 43, soon to be 44, have been married for 21 years & we have a 16 y.o. son. For more than 1/2 my life I have been overweight & now fall in the dreaded category of morbidly obese.

A few months ago I had a scare & ended up in the hospital for a few days. While I didn't suffer a heart attack I was diagnosed with an arrythmia, high blood pressure, insulin resistance...need I say more?:eek: I came home with a great new doc, a cardiologist who really spent an enormous amount of time with me in the hospital & at subsequent appointments. She hooked me up with a women's nutritionist (& my insurance is paying me to see her, rather than the other way around!) & I'm on a number of medications...for now.

I'm losing weight slowly, and that's ok because I didn't gain it fast so why expect it to come off that way? My highest weight was 276 and I am 5'7". I'm down to about 260-261 & have recently started a new medication called Metformin to help with some of the insulin issues.

Also, I recently started exercising, more than just my leisurely walks around our house & the land we own, etc.. It isn't easy at this weight but I know that each step I take is in the right direction. I have also started using the athletic center at the local university where I am finishing up my bachelor's degree (better late than never!). At first it was intimidating to go there with all those teens & 20-somethings running on the treadmills & lifting enormous weights but I've gotten over it quickly. My family has a membership and I think going & showing my son that I am willing to do what it takes to be a healthier person is worth the effort. It is worth the looks & even a few snickers from the young people when they see me huffing & puffing on the treadmill to know I am doing the right thing.

Anyway, thanks for reading all of this, I wanted to post here so I could see if there is a particular thread or group that is working toward long-term goals or some such thing. My short-term goal is to lose about 8-10 pounds per month, although I believe more will come off in the beginning. I saw a weekly weigh-in thread but wasn't sure if it was ok to post there first or not.

Hope you all are having a wonderful weekend!

It sounds like you are off to a good start towards healthy living. There are a number of morbidly obese people who work out at my gym, I try to be encouraging towars them and look at them in a positive light for taking a step towards good health. :)

Are you doing cardio and strength training? Both are equally important. I'd also suggest Pilates or yoga, if a local yoga studio offers a gentle stretching or restorative class, those are a great addition to your other exercise routines.

Keep in mind that it's OK to cheat now and then (once or twice a month allow yourself something special--for me it's the cup of coffee I'm savoring right now) and plan on healthy alternatives for the days you feel like binging. I find that a half cup of dry cereal (Kashi Indigo Morning is a favorite) nibbled on over the course of 10 minutes satisfies the urge for crunch and sweetness and is a good choice when I'm scavenging for "something."

Look forward to buying a new wardrobe once you've lost the weight--that can be a great motivator. Every morning spend a couple of minutes looking online at the latest fashions. :)

Keep up the great work!

It sounds like you are off to a good start towards healthy living. There are a number of morbidly obese people who work out at my gym, I try to be encouraging towars them and look at them in a positive light for taking a step towards good health. :)

Are you doing cardio and strength training? Both are equally important. I'd also suggest Pilates or yoga, if a local yoga studio offers a gentle stretching or restorative class, those are a great addition to your other exercise routines.

Keep in mind that it's OK to cheat now and then (once or twice a month allow yourself something special--for me it's the cup of coffee I'm savoring right now) and plan on healthy alternatives for the days you feel like binging. I find that a half cup of dry cereal (Kashi Indigo Morning is a favorite) nibbled on over the course of 10 minutes satisfies the urge for crunch and sweetness and is a good choice when I'm scavenging for "something."

Look forward to buying a new wardrobe once you've lost the weight--that can be a great motivator. Every morning spend a couple of minutes looking online at the latest fashions. :)

Keep up the great work!

Thanks, duckite, for the encouragement! I am doing both cardio & strength training. The strength training is 3 days/week & some form of cardio nearly every day. I've been swimming a bunch since we have a large inground pool (until we close it soon!) & walking, doing the elliptical & the rower (boy is that one tough!). I had not considered yoga/pilates as I thought I'd need to be in better shape to do that but will see what I can find locally.

My only "cheat" so far as been air-popped popcorn with 1 tbsp real butter. :o Popcorn is something that I've always eaten since a kid, my dad & I would pop a big bowl & then watch "The Waltons"..brings back memories! I am limiting myself to have that once a month. I'm also finding that the cleaner I am eating the less I am craving anything sweet. We are following some of the menus from the Clean Eating magazine & everyone feels like we are walking around with much clearer heads. :)

Your idea about browsing for fashion is something I had not considered. Usually I'm an accessories shopper because it much more fun to shop for cute scarves, terrific shoes and beautiful jewelry than plus-size clothing. I'll have to start thinking about clothes shopping differently.

Thanks again for the response, and I posted this on another thread but didn't know if you saw it. I *know* you from the DIS board, you were always a big help when we were planning WDW trips, esp restaurant advice & I remember your pics of building your FL home. :)

I'm on the same journey as you! I started June 1st and I'm down 14%!

I'm doing 50 grams of carbs a day and 1200 calories. I exercise every day, I alternate walking a mile and doing 20 minutes of weights.

I'm insulin resistant as well, and on Metformin.

Sure does feel good to feel better!! :D

I have a 16 year old son, too, and it has improved our relationship, because he walks/works out with me every day. I was a little bit ticked last night when my aunt looked at HIM and said, "Have you lost weight?" :rolleyes:

I'm on the same journey as you! I started June 1st and I'm down 14%!

I'm doing 50 grams of carbs a day and 1200 calories. I exercise every day, I alternate walking a mile and doing 20 minutes of weights.

I'm insulin resistant as well, and on Metformin.

Sure does feel good to feel better!! :D

I have a 16 year old son, too, and it has improved our relationship, because he walks/works out with me every day. I was a little bit ticked last night when my aunt looked at HIM and said, "Have you lost weight?" :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your weight loss and your improved health. What a great thing that your relationship with your son has improved as well....an added bonus!

Thanks for posting, I was beginning to wonder if I should have put it up here as there were so many views but so little response. Nice to get a hello! :)

• 1 month later...
Just wanted to say hello & introduce myself! While I am losing weight for overall health, the benefit of looking & feeling better when we cruise is an added incentive! I'm 43, soon to be 44, have been married for 21 years & we have a 16 y.o. son. For more than 1/2 my life I have been overweight & now fall in the dreaded category of morbidly obese.

A few months ago I had a scare & ended up in the hospital for a few days. While I didn't suffer a heart attack I was diagnosed with an arrythmia, high blood pressure, insulin resistance...need I say more?:eek: I came home with a great new doc, a cardiologist who really spent an enormous amount of time with me in the hospital & at subsequent appointments. She hooked me up with a women's nutritionist (& my insurance is paying me to see her, rather than the other way around!) & I'm on a number of medications...for now.

I'm losing weight slowly, and that's ok because I didn't gain it fast so why expect it to come off that way? My highest weight was 276 and I am 5'7". I'm down to about 260-261 & have recently started a new medication called Metformin to help with some of the insulin issues.

Also, I recently started exercising, more than just my leisurely walks around our house & the land we own, etc.. It isn't easy at this weight but I know that each step I take is in the right direction. I have also started using the athletic center at the local university where I am finishing up my bachelor's degree (better late than never!). At first it was intimidating to go there with all those teens & 20-somethings running on the treadmills & lifting enormous weights but I've gotten over it quickly. My family has a membership and I think going & showing my son that I am willing to do what it takes to be a healthier person is worth the effort. It is worth the looks & even a few snickers from the young people when they see me huffing & puffing on the treadmill to know I am doing the right thing.

Anyway, thanks for reading all of this, I wanted to post here so I could see if there is a particular thread or group that is working toward long-term goals or some such thing. My short-term goal is to lose about 8-10 pounds per month, although I believe more will come off in the beginning. I saw a weekly weigh-in thread but wasn't sure if it was ok to post there first or not.

Hope you all are having a wonderful weekend!

The best reason to lose weight if for overall health and you are ON YOUR WAY!! I have lived my life 'watching what I eat' and exercising; but now at 62 yrs old want to get closer to the weight that I was when I had my first son almost 35 years ago. I will get there -- another 15 pounds to go.

Don't worry or care about what other think when they see you sweating at the gym....it is good for them to see it....so they know EVERYONE cares about their overall health.

When you cruise, it is easy to stay on the exercise routine on the ship as well...and you CAN watch your diet as well. I tell the waiter, no butter on my food and I avoid the things that will add to many extra calories and cause me to have to do another 15 minutes in the gym or take an extra walk around the ships deck.

Keep up the good work....

I am a newbie to cruising and so excited for our cruise in February. Because of being sick earlier in the summer and shedding a few pounds with that and then booking this cruise, I finally have the incentive that I will lose weight no matter what!! I am down 18# since June and would love to lose another 15# by cruise time. I have had to pick up some new summer things off clearance since my old are too big :) but not sure what size to go with. It's been very enjoyable to shop again. One problem is that I have lost all in butt and legs and until the stomach goes down, it's hard to figure out

So glad you have found the motivation to do what it takes. I haven't joined a gym but am walking at least 2 miles a day at least 5 days a week and that feels great!!

I have looked to these boards for encouragement and to get new insight on what others are doing. I have noticed the weekly weight loss posts but they all seem to know each other and are a group of their own

Good job !!

I am a newbie to cruising and so excited for our cruise in February. Because of being sick earlier in the summer and shedding a few pounds with that and then booking this cruise, I finally have the incentive that I will lose weight no matter what!! I am down 18# since June and would love to lose another 15# by cruise time. I have had to pick up some new summer things off clearance since my old are too big :) but not sure what size to go with. It's been very enjoyable to shop again. One problem is that I have lost all in butt and legs and until the stomach goes down, it's hard to figure out

So glad you have found the motivation to do what it takes. I haven't joined a gym but am walking at least 2 miles a day at least 5 days a week and that feels great!!

I have looked to these boards for encouragement and to get new insight on what others are doing. I have noticed the weekly weight loss posts but they all seem to know each other and are a group of their own

Good job !!

Sounds like you are on the right track. FYI, you will never get rid of the belly through diet and cardio. You MUST strength train for that. Lift weights, Pilates, or practice yoga. Any or a combination of them. Without core work you will always look like you have a belly even if you lose weight there. Get started now, it can take up to a year to really strengthen an muscles to the point that your belly looks good. After six months of training (14 hours a week split between cardio and strength) and losing 40 pounds, I still don't have flat abs. I weigh 123 pounds and am 5'6" and wear aside 4-6. Abs, back fat, and inner thighs are the hardest areas to lose fat and build muscle. Good luck!

Archived