Confused: Nikon or Panasonic or ??

bonnid

I am so confused and am hoping that someone here can help me. I was planning to take my daughter's DSLR on our upcoming cruise (in 3 weeks). I have been taking pictures so that I can get used to it. Well, it just seems too bulky for me to enjoy. It's a Canon Rebel XT with a long zoom lens. I normally use a P&S, a Canon powershot SD1400 IS.

So I've been looking online to find out about alternatives. I've also been reading a lot of the posts here - my head is swimming. I've been using Canons for many years but now it appears that I'm looking at the Nikon Coolpix P520 and the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 but then there are others including the FZ70 that is being released tomorrow.

I want to be able to use it as my one camera for the cruise as well as taking general family / pet photographs. I like the idea that the Nikon has GPS and can tag all the photos with locations. I'm not sure the others do. I also hope to use it for videos.

And oh, another thing I like about the Nikon is that it comes in red!!

Actually I'm open to any suggestions.

Many love the Panasonic DMC FZ200 which replaced the FZ150. Many like the Nikon as well however the FZ200 has outstanding low light performance. Btw, there are threads on this forum talking about it.

Also Cannon has the SX-50 which is in this class of cameras with big zooms.

Sent from my iPad

Welcome to the land of confusion!

First of all, I own none of these, although they are becoming tempting for those times (sporting events, for instance) where a camera is allowed, but removable lenses are not!

As snowbird1 has said, there are a number of threads on this question. From pure camera specifications, and from most reported actual results, you cannot beat the Panasonic Lumix FZ200. It has a great zoom range, a Leica lens, and a fixed f/2.0 aperture, which gives you good to great indoor/reduced light performance throughout the zoom range. None of the other bridge cameras, including the new FZ270, which adds megapixels in the meaningless megapixel war, zoom (that you'll only be able to use in bright daylight) and Dolby Digital Sound (?), that I don't really get at all, as most of these videos end up on youtube, and replaces the Leica lens with a Lumix lens...

The FZ200 is also one of the most expensive bridge cameras on the market, but in this case I think you get what you pay for. You really need to handle it and make sure it's size and weight are OK for you, and if so, get it soon so you can learn to use at least some of its features. But, don't be scared of it! It has a perfectly OK automatic mode that will let you get started!

The only advise I could give is make sure you handle it before you buy it. Also, I, personally wouldn't buy a new camera without reviews on its performance. But that's just me. I guess I like others to test the waters first.:D

I've been looking at the reviews and the posts/threads here. The Panasonic has good reviews for lowlight which I tend to do quite often. It doesn't seem like I'm going to be able to handle the camera before I buy it as I can't seem to find a place locally that has it.

The confusion is still there but I seem to be settling on the Panasonic. I can get from Amazon and if it doesn't handle properly for me I can always send it back.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Great idea using Amazon, if you do not like they pay shipping back to them.

I have the FZ200 and love it

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1694983

Great all in one for low light and long zoom. Here is a great review on the camera.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1694983

Cruisecritic.com also, see their menu, a talk forum for all camera and the Panasonic forum, were you can find good information on the camera. Think is one of the best web sites to learn about photography and camera equipment.

Good luck the fun is just starting.

Tom

Here is one of the more comprehensive reviews of the FZ200.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-fz200/panasonic-fz200A.HTM

My biggest problem with the FZ200 is that for $500+, you are still getting a camera with a tiny 1/2.3" compact camera sensor. There are a lot more cameras out there with larger sensors that are not as expensive. You are paying an entry-level DSLR price for this camera, but you are not getting entry-level DSLR performance.

I'd take a close look at the Sony HX50V. http://store.sony.com/p/20.4-megapixel,-30x-optical-zoom/en/p/DSCHX50V/B

These cameras are great in low light and small enough to stick in a purse. I have the HX9V which I love for the size (16x zoom) and the HX200V which I like a lot, but it is a lot bulkier.

Vic

For all around vacation pictures anything 8mp or above is plenty. Don't get hung up on all the internals. Most of the major brands take good pictures. If a camera won't fit in my pocket it stays home. I picked up the Lumix/Panasonic ZS20 a couple of months ago and it takes great pictures.

The only advise I could give is make sure you handle it before you buy it. Also, I, personally wouldn't buy a new camera without reviews on its performance. But that's just me. I guess I like others to test the waters first.:D

Absolutely,

Last year I went into the store with my mind pretty much made up as to which camera to buy. The salesperson gave me two cameras and said to walk around a take some pictures. The difference in the images completely changed my mind (same price range).

Just thought I'd throw in another suggestion. If you want a small pony and shoot with great zoom and that takes greatmoicsmin low light, check out the Canon SX260. I have this in addition to my big DSLR and it it the best point and shoot I've ever owned.

Oh, and beware. It comes in "red" but it definitely looks bright pink to me. It's advertised as red though. I love the color but if you want red, that it isn't....at least to my eyes anyway. :D

Thanks everyone for your input. I have purchased the Panasonic Z200 - waiting for it to arrive, hopefully on Monday. And for the times when I want just a pocket camera, I have my p&s Canon Powershot SD1400 IS.

Hopefully, in two weeks, I'll learn enough about my new camera to be comfortable with it.

I have had a FZ200 for about three months and the auto function and video is very good without resorting to the more complicated functions. Graham Houghton on You Tube has a series on the camera which is very interesting and a help in understanding the functions and other optional settings. Worth a watch in conjunction with the pdf manual.

Archived