HAL or CELEBRITY? USA to AUSTALIA

normie616

My wife and myself plan on flying to the USA next September 2014 to use some frequent flyer points (business class). The plan is to get a repositioning ship back to Australia across the pacific for about 3 weeks .We were all set to book Volendaam which departs Los Angeles on Sept 27th 2014 .I had the Celebrity Century in the back of my mind which departs San Francisco on September 16th but thought against it as it was departing San Francisco and not Los angeles, We will fly into LA and spend about a week in Las Vegas which we love from previous visits and maybe do a bit of driving for a few days around Bryce canyon & Page. We are both 65 and retired from South Australia.We have been to Hawaii before and Hilo.I have been to Tahiti and Bora Bora in my late teens on a cruise which I really loved.The Volendaam visits Honolulu and Pago Pago (been there before self only) and then onto Fiji etc.The Celebrity Century visits Tahiti and Bora Bora (magnificent!),Wife has not been there.Trouble is the Celebrity Century does not score that well in the cruise critic reviews which worries me and is a few years older than the Volendaam which scores well most reviews.Having said all that HAL have increased their fares on the Volendaam 20% over this years fares and for the same price we can get a deluxe verandah cabin on the Celebrity Century which makes it appealing .Also the Celebrity Century does not spend as long in ports(and less ports) which is worrying I also read that the Celebrity Century may have been sold??? and is having some refurbishment in Feb 2014.The age of the ship does not worry me as in my early years many of the passenger ships I went on were 30 years old but they had charisma and charm to say the least. We went on Dawn Princess last year round Australia and Lombok and loved it. Have to decide within the next month as the Qantas seats will go soon after .Any thoughts from "experienced" Celebrity Century or Volendaam travellers greatly appreciated. I do love old world charm and would never contemplate the larger HAL or Celebrity ships Cheers Normie

We have sailed both HAL and Celebrity just not these specific ships. I think the possibility of Century being sold would be rather unsettling and would compel me to book the Volendam.

You have to hold the reviews with a grain of salt, this is a fraction of the cruising public represented here. HAL has a superior product, elegant, great food and service and classic older ship with great character, you can't go wrong.

Jonathan

Century is getting old, food has become marginal, pools small.Did a 25N repo 2 yrs. ago on her. Yes it may be sold. Have done 23 Celebrity cruises, one HAL. Service and especially food on HAL just not good at all. HAL costs more too; do not know why. I am going to go over your way on Solstice next year. It usually rates in top 10 of large ships. Great for longer trips.The large indoor pool under glass one of most beautiful at sea,as is the all white dining room. Do some investigation.

Archived