What to do/see in Santa Barbara

bcsquared

We will be stopping in Santa Barbara on the Star Princess later this month. Although I know that Santa Barbara is reputed to be beautiful, we are not seeing much of interest. We are more interested in experiencing the beauty of the area than we are in spending time indoors at shops or museums. We are considering renting a car and driving the area. Any suggestions of beautiful views, or places of interest...or something that I am missing in Santa Barbara itself? Thanks.

We will also be stopping there in Sept. Sapphire Princess. We have been to Santa Barbara many times , and one of the sites , is the Mission , lovely mission. The downtown is nice and good shopping. The surrounding areas are lovely and then it is a beach community as well. We plan on a trip to the zoo, it is a nice zoo , not big but enjoyable. And a walk in town. It is a pretty city , hope you enjoy it. Do check out the Santa Barbara thread , mentioned in this thread earlier , lots of good info.

Cori

It sounds like renting a car would be a good idea to see the kinds of sights you're looking for.

When I lived in Santa Barbara, one of my favorite drives was up Highway 154 to the Cold Springs Tavern. It's an old stagecoach stop, almost 150 years old, and the food is great. The drive up there is pretty, with some gorgeous views.

Another stop a little ways off Highway 154 is the Chumash Painted Cave. These are some fairly well-preserved, 400-year-old paintings by the local Indians, inside a small cave. It's a short, steep walk from the parking area to the cave.

If you keep going over the hill you'll end up in the Santa Ynez Valley, where you visit some excellent wineries. You could do some great wine-tasting if you have the time.

Thanks so much for the information. I have actually done a lot of research, including the Santa Barbara thread on this board. Unfortunately, nothing really "grabbed us". Casagordita, the information you posted seems to be exactly what we are looking for....but will 8 hours be enough time for that? Thanks again to everyone for the assistance.

Go onto TripAdvisor.com and search things to do -Santa Barbara...or just go here:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g33045-Activities-c25-Santa_Barbara_California.html

Consider a tour up over the San Marcos Pass and into The Santa Ynez Valley Wine Country and Solvang...

I know people who have done this with Dee Tours and have recommended them...

http://www.deetoursofsb.com/

Put together a group on your roll call and they can customize something for you as well...

And there are other tour companies on that tripadvisor list as well...

Good luck...

Thanks Bruin Steve. As I have indicated, I have actually been doing research, and have read Tripadvisor (which I consider my "Bible" when traveling, and am a senior contributor). Unfortunately, as I indicated, nothing there excited us...I think we are more about the outdoors and the scenery. The trip through the wine country does sound interesting, but we don't particularly like group tours. Do you think we would have time to rent a car and do some exploring? Thanks.

Thanks so much for the information. I have actually done a lot of research, including the Santa Barbara thread on this board. Unfortunately, nothing really "grabbed us". Casagordita, the information you posted seems to be exactly what we are looking for....but will 8 hours be enough time for that? Thanks again to everyone for the assistance.

With 8 hours, you'll likely have ample time to pick up a car, drive up to Cold Springs Tavern, have lunch, and get back in time to return your car and board the ship. The Chumash Painted Cave would probably fit in your schedule as well, and you might have some time to meander back and do a little more exploring up in the hills (pick up a local map in town, and/or ask the rental car agency for advice), if you're feeling adventurous. Or come back to town and make a brief stop at the Mission--it really is beautiful! The tower in the courthouse is another place that's worth a visit--the view is gorgeous.

The wine tasting in the Santa Ynez Valley...with 8 hours, maybe not so much. I guess you'll have to save that for another visit!

Thanks Bruin Steve. As I have indicated, I have actually been doing research, and have read Tripadvisor (which I consider my "Bible" when traveling, and am a senior contributor). Unfortunately, as I indicated, nothing there excited us...I think we are more about the outdoors and the scenery. The trip through the wine country does sound interesting, but we don't particularly like group tours. Do you think we would have time to rent a car and do some exploring? Thanks.

Yeah, you do...

Rent a car near the pier...I think Avis is 4 or blocks away...34 Montecito...head up State St., turn right on Montecito (right by the freeway)...Hertz and Enterprise are a little farther away...but Enterprise may pick you up at the pier...

Get on the 101 north to the 154/San Marcos Pass...it will take you up into the mountains over the pass to Lake Cachuma...and then on to the Santa Ynez Valley...turn onto 246 toward Solvang (touristy Danish village with good bakeries)...lots of Wineries in the area...some have tours and/or tastings...Gainey Vineyard has tours and is right on 246 when you first turn that way...a good restaurant on 246 is AJ Spurs (one of the restaurants featured in the movie Sideways)... When you get to where the 246 hits the 101, get on going South...If you want to do a little hiking, you can turn off at Nojoqui Falls...

Continuing on 101 will take you over the Gaviota Pass and down the coast back to Santa Barbara...

Whatever time you have left, spend walking around State Street or visiting the Mission...

Total distance over the pass Santa Barbara to Solvang is less than 35 miles and should take around 45 minutes, not counting stops...From Solvang back to Santa Barbara via 101 and the Gaviota Pass is about 47 miles, but all Freeway most of the way and won't take more than 45 minutes total driving time... So, of your 8 hours, less than two will be driving, leaving you plenty of time to take a winery tour and walk around and explore a bit...

Archived