Questions for Recent Sun Cruisers

KAJOKG

We have booked a balcony cabin (C605) on the Sun departing in March. Has the ship become shopworn? Is it clean? Are the cabins really small? We really like the itinerary and enjoy 10 day cruises. Been to the Panama Canal 3 times, and the Eastern and Western Carib, so the Sun's itinerary is very appealing. But I'm a little concerned because of her age. She was refurbished in 2002, but that's still a long time without being upgraded. Will appreciate all comments!

I spent 2 weeks on the ship in May - it is in excellent condition. I didn't note anything that needed to be replaced or was run down.

And yes, the cabins (especially the balcony) are small.

I spent 2 weeks on the ship in May - it is in excellent condition. I didn't note anything that needed to be replaced or was run down.

And yes, the cabins (especially the balcony) are small.

Thanks, Coral. Would you say it would be better to book an outside cabin instead of a balcony cabin on the Sun?

KAJOKG -- We were on the Sun for a 10-day in January. I think you will find the ship in great shape. We really didn't notice any great wear and tear, except maybe for the wood deck chairs on the Promenade Deck. There is a thread "Live From the Sun" that was started in January and continues. You should find any and all information on the Sun on this thread. Check it out.

We had a balcony cabin on Aloha Deck. The balcony was small and cut from the hull, but we enjoyed it. It is always nice to be able to step outside. The furniture on the balcony is sparse, a plastic table and 2 chairs, but not room for much more. The cabin was a bit smaller than those we have sailed on Celebrity in the past, but we felt there was plenty of storage space. There is room for large suitcases to be stored under the bed and plenty of closet and drawer space for the 2 of us.

Any other questions, about the ship, please ask. I think you will have a wonderful cruise and would sail the Sun again without hesitation. Food was also great, especially the desserts and soups!!

Mary

Mary - Thanks for your input. We love Princess and have sailed on the Grand Class and the Sun Class ships Island and Coral. Although I think they are quite a bit different than the Sun. We like the itinerary for the Sun, and with what you have to say makes me feel more confident. I will check out the thread you mentioned.

We had a balcony cabin, mid-ship, Aloha Deck in April and LOVED the Sun Princess. Nothing looked worn out to us, in fact everything we saw or came in contact with looked in great shape. I honestly cannot think of one bad thing to say about the Sun. The cabin was not huge (we did not expect it to be) but there was enough room for all our stuff, the balcony was small but served the purpose just fine. The crew were all wonderful to us and the food very good. The passenger age-mix was great (10-day southern Caribbean) .. all in all there was nothing to not like.

I guess if you are looking for a mega ship with over 3,000 passengers you may be disappointed but we thought the 2,000 passengers was a good number!!

Go and enjoy.

Thanks, Coral. Would you say it would be better to book an outside cabin instead of a balcony cabin on the Sun?

On the Sun class (I have been on Sun, Dawn and Sea Princess), I have had an inside, outside and balcony. If you can pull it off - I would go with the balcony.

Last year on the Dawn Princess - I spent the first week in an inside and the second week in a balcony - I felt very claustophobic in the inside. This year, I had an outside and it was better then the inside but I still like the balcony, even if it is small.

I was on the Sun in May had a balcony C617 and we personally did not think the balcony was small for 2 people. We were on our honeymoon and we loved the balcony.

The balconies on the Sun class are smaller than the balconies on Princess' other ships. So it is sort of a relative comparison. Compared to the Coral class (Coral and Island) and Grand class - the Sun class balconies are smaller.

Though, when the Sun Princess first came out - it was incredible to have so many balconies on a ship and affordable balconies but that was 10 years ago. Increasing the size of balconies is one thing that cruise lines have done the last several years.

Archived