Ft Lauderdale Hotels

Ginnyjen

Mr. NW Guy:

Thanks for the tips.

I always bid on zone 2 as I want to be close to the docks. I started at $80 and worked up $5 a time until I got to $95, when I got it. The $110 is total price including taxes and other add ons.

Think of Star Trek and Big Bang Theory when looking fro hotels.

The community rules here do not allow recomendations - Below was copied from CC Guidelines. (my email address is on my signature line)

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in tone) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Mr. NW Guy:

Thanks for the tips.

I always bid on zone 2 as I want to be close to the docks. I started at $80 and worked up $5 a time until I got to $95, when I got it. The $110 is total price including taxes and other add ons.

Think of Star Trek and Big Bang Theory when looking fro hotels.

Go Bill!!!

For "Irish Eyes": The Harbour Beach Hotel is beautiful, with a lovely pool/beach area...you will have a wonderful birthday there! The hotel was totally renovated a few years ago and there is a great outdoor seating area off the lobby with firepits for drinks and sunset watching.

We live on the other coast of Florida and have stayed there often for family celebrations. (Cost is probably the reason that you don't see this hotel listed too often...rates, especially in season, can go upwards of $700 which is not always good value for passengers just flying in for the one night.) Property has a very wide range of accomodations, so (suggestion) if you have any priority with Marriott, contact the hotel directly to let them know it's a special occasion and maybe an upgrade will happen.

Enjoy and have a very Happy Birthday!:)

Thanks for the birthday wishes and your comments!:)

So sorry to ask this, but I'm looking for a Ft. Lauderdale hotel and I don't know how to search on this board. Thanks for any help.

Last time we went out of Ft. Lauderdale (2011) we stayed at the Comfort Inn Airport/Cruise Port South. They had a stay and cruise package that included a hamburger grill dinner poolside in the evening. It also provided shuttle service from the airport and to the cruise port. Not the Ritz, but clean and the personnel were friendly.

We made arrangements thru HAL and they're putting us in the Marriott Harbor Beach Resort for our pre-night.......I hope it is nice, will let everyone know when we get back if you are interested. I wanted to stay someplace somewhat festive because it will be my 60th B-day the day we fly down (the day before the cruise). I hope their restaurant is a good one!

We have stayed at the Marriott Harbour Beach twice and absolutely LOVE it! It is on the beach, has a wonderful pool and grounds, the staff are great and the service is very good. There isn't a lot within walking distance but we did walk to a water taxi stop that took us all over fort lauderdale. It isn't the cheapest hotel but definitely worth every penny!!!!!

We have stayed at the Marriott Harbour Beach twice and absolutely LOVE it! It is on the beach, has a wonderful pool and grounds, the staff are great and the service is very good. There isn't a lot within walking distance but we did walk to a water taxi stop that took us all over fort lauderdale. It isn't the cheapest hotel but definitely worth every penny!!!!!

Thanks, so far the "reviews" have been good. But I haven't heard of anyone that has eater dinner there....I guess I will have to wait to find out.

Linda,

We did eat on the property when we stayed there for lunch and dinner; we are not breakfast people. The lunch we simply grabbed by the pool and it was fine; nothing special but certainly not bad. Our dinner was fantastic! One of the real highlights was when they brought my French Onion Soup to the table flaming. Just a little something different. Unfortunately when they redid it the restaurant we ate at was replaced by a different one so I can’t help you too much; I’m sorry. But be prepared for the usual high resort pricing on things; then remind yourself that you are on vacation and it’s your birthday so simply sit back and enjoy!!

Barbara

Linda,

We did eat on the property when we stayed there for lunch and dinner; we are not breakfast people. The lunch we simply grabbed by the pool and it was fine; nothing special but certainly not bad. Our dinner was fantastic! One of the real highlights was when they brought my French Onion Soup to the table flaming. Just a little something different. Unfortunately when they redid it the restaurant we ate at was replaced by a different one so I can’t help you too much; I’m sorry. But be prepared for the usual high resort pricing on things; then remind yourself that you are on vacation and it’s your birthday so simply sit back and enjoy!!

Barbara

Oh, I already figured it would be pricey, but at least you have had some experience there and it was a good one.........thanks!:)

Hello Fellow Bidder...

Here are a few tips that have worked for me. I have never bid more that $90.00 and always start at $65.00 and bid up each day till I find the sweet spot.

For Fort Lauderdale I will bid only on area 5 and 7 and mininum catagory 4.

We have secured rooms at: Westin Diplomat, Sheraton Beach, Westin Beach Resort, Hyatt & Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach.

We like our vacation to begin at beach!

When we check in if I am not assigned a waterfront room I ask for one. Sometimes we get get one at no charge. At the Diplomat we had to pay an extra $20.00 per night and it was worth every penny to be on the ocean.

Can I ask you how far before your cruise date , you start bidding ? And do you buy trip protection ?

I have a cruise in feb and I'm trying to gauge when I should start bidding.

Thank you in advance MR NW GUY :)

I have the Embassy Suites booked for the middle of October. I did this a couple of weeks ago. The asking rate was $179 per night.

I booked the cruise in January but the hotel rates were to high so I just tracked them until they got down to reason then I started putting bids in. I was actually surprised I got it from them. I expected to get the Crown Plaza as it's rate was only $139.

So do you track the prices on the hotel websites first till they come down then start bidding at a site like Priceline dot com ?

Thanks, so far the "reviews" have been good. But I haven't heard of anyone that has eater dinner there....I guess I will have to wait to find out.

We did not have dinner there but enjoyed their breakfast and a lunch at a restaurant near the pool. Everything we had was wonderful.

The community rules here do not allow recomendations - Below was copied from CC Guidelines. (my email address is on my signature line)

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in tone) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Not sure how this applies since the OP was asking for HOTEL recommendations, not travel agency recommendations??

Can I ask you how far before your cruise date , you start bidding ? And do you buy trip protection ?

I have a cruise in feb and I'm trying to gauge when I should start bidding.

Thank you in advance MR NW GUY :)

If you have travel insurance for the cruise from an independent agency, the hotel would be covered if you'd included the amount in the value insured.

There is an art to bidding, really. You don't need to wait the 24 hours before bidding again. Prices change rapidly on Priceline so you may end up paying more by not bidding up to your max each day.

To keep upping the bid you must change 1 value in addition to the price. So say you want a 4* in zone 1, only in zone 1. Do your bid....say $50. If denied then add a zone that does not have 4* properties. Say zone 2 only has 1,2,3*. Bid $55. If denied then add another zone....maybe zone 7 only have 1* as an option. So up your bid for 4* in zone 1,2, or 7 to $60.

You just have got to go into each zone PRIOR to starting your bid to see what star levels are available in each zone. If you want a 4* in a certain zone, then only use free rebidding zones that do not go UP TO 4*. If a zone has 5*/Resort, they can "give you a free upgrade" so you don't want a zone with anything equal or greater than what you bidding.

When checking star levels in a zone, be sure to only have one zone clicked at a time. Then go back, unselect that zone and look at the next one. Have it all written down next to you as you bid.

If you have travel insurance for the cruise from an independent agency, the hotel would be covered if you'd included the amount in the value insured.

There is an art to bidding, really. You don't need to wait the 24 hours before bidding again. Prices change rapidly on Priceline so you may end up paying more by not bidding up to your max each day.

To keep upping the bid you must change 1 value in addition to the price. So say you want a 4* in zone 1, only in zone 1. Do your bid....say $50. If denied then add a zone that does not have 4* properties. Say zone 2 only has 1,2,3*. Bid $55. If denied then add another zone....maybe zone 7 only have 1* as an option. So up your bid for 4* in zone 1,2, or 7 to $60.

You just have got to go into each zone PRIOR to starting your bid to see what star levels are available in each zone. If you want a 4* in a certain zone, then only use free rebidding zones that do not go UP TO 4*. If a zone has 5*/Resort, they can "give you a free upgrade" so you don't want a zone with anything equal or greater than what you bidding.

When checking star levels in a zone, be sure to only have one zone clicked at a time. Then go back, unselect that zone and look at the next one. Have it all written down next to you as you bid.

Does all this really work during "busy" times (Spring Break, Holidays, etc.)? In other words, if I can't get the hotel I want months in advance because it is booked up ... how can I get that hotel (or similar) by using a "bid" website? My thought process says I'm going to get what no one else wanted. Am I wrong?

Great tips, thanks for sharing. I've never gone the bidding route before - it was sort of intimidating to me. I was afraid I'd end up some place undesirable. However, after reading your suggestions, I may try it now.

Does all this really work during "busy" times (Spring Break, Holidays, etc.)? In other words, if I can't get the hotel I want months in advance because it is booked up ... how can I get that hotel (or similar) by using a "bid" website? My thought process says I'm going to get what no one else wanted. Am I wrong?

You just never know. I have gotten rooms during busy times. You don't get to change your mind, so you really have to go into it with a sense of adventure.

I knew I wanted Hyatt Pier 66 which people get often on Priceline, but with bidding I knew I could get any of a number of properties. The rate from Hyatt for my February date was in the $300+/- range if I remember correctly. I used Priceline's "pre-negotiated deals, Express Deals" and could tell from the description that it was the Hyatt. They had rooms for $189, or you could choose Tower for $210, which is what I did. I figure I could have bid and gotten a 4* for somewhere in the $100 range.

I have never had any trouble getting the type of room I wanted directly from the hotel, but with PL you are guaranteed a room for 2 adults. I won't bid in NYC if I am taking kids because there there is a good chance of that being 1 double bed. In FLL, you likely can have your pice of a King or 2 Doubles for most things you win.

Thanks much Alwaysfrantic :)

Now , if I need to book for feb. when would be considered best time to start bidding ? I'm going to try your method. Thanks for explaining :)

I don't think it really matters when you bid....the inventory given to Priceline changes all the time. My thought is to pick a price you're comfortable bidding and start lower going up to that until you "win" a room. Say you want a room at $100 in February. If that is your max, whether you spend it today or in January, you still get what you want for $100.

Always have a back up, cancelable room, on reserve. If you get a great PL deal, then cancel. If you don't beat that price bidding then you still have a place to stay.

These are the PL Zones and Star levels in Ft. Lauderdale as of right now. Things could change at any minute, so always check for yourself before doing the "Name your own Price" bidding.

Zone 1 Coral Springs 1,2,3,3.5

Zone 2 Downtown FL 1,2,2.5, 3,3.5,4

Zone 3 FL Airport North 1,2,2.5

Zone 4 FL Airport 1,2,2.5,3,3.5

Zone 5 FL Beach 1,2,2.5,3,3.5,4

Zone 6 FL North 1,2,2.5,3,3.5

Zone 7 Hollywood 1,2,2.5,3,3.5,4

Zone 8 Miramar 1,2,2.5,3

Zone 9 Pompano Beach 1,2,2.5,3,3.5

Zone 10 West FL Plantation 1,2,2.5,3,3.5,4

Zone 11 West FL Sawgrass 1,2,2.5,3,3.5,4

Using PL to Name Your Own Price right now, if you wanted a 4* in Zone 5 FL Beach, your rebidding zones would be Zone 1, Zone 3, Zone 4, Zone 6, Zone 8, Zone 9. So instead of only getting one try a day, you could have 7 tries in a day.

If you are agreeable to 2 different zones, its better to try them independently. Try for your top choice first in all available combinations. Then start completely over in your second choice zone. You will have all the bidding chances again.

ALWAYS check the star levels and zones each time before you bid. I don't want anyone to be disappointed.

Archived