duty free question?

atlantic cruiser

With the exception of the USA, Duty Free liquor purchases can be placed in a specially sealed plastic envelope into which the details of the purchase is also enclosed by the vendor. This allows one to change flights and proceed through security and customs if necessary without having to give up the package. The envelope must remain intact, for any signs of tampering would forfeit the goods. As mentioned the USA do not currently recognize this means of transporting Duty Free goods.

Can I purchase liquor at a duty free shop in Frankfurt to take on a connecting flight in Europe. Not sure of the rules now. Thanks

If you try to buy it at the airport they wont let you if its a flight to another EU country, you can however buy the duty paid which will be dearer but not extortionate. They will check your boarding pass to see where you are going next.

With the exception of the USA, Duty Free liquor purchases can be placed in a specially sealed plastic envelope into which the details of the purchase is also enclosed by the vendor. This allows one to change flights and proceed through security and customs if necessary without having to give up the package. The envelope must remain intact, for any signs of tampering would forfeit the goods. As mentioned the USA do not currently recognize this means of transporting Duty Free goods.

Is this a recent change? In 2011 we purchased from duty free in Miami. We had no problems flying with it. We flew to Dusseldorf and on to Rome without difficulty. In fact we planned on buying again in a few weeks when we fly to Barcelona. Price was very good on Knob Creek.

Chris

My flight will originate in Vancouver, connect in Frankfurt where I wished to buy alcohol and then go on to final destination in Istanbul. Would I be able to buy duty free alcohol in Frankfurt and then take it on flight to Istanbul. Thanks

Yes, you can.

Is this a recent change? In 2011 we purchased from duty free in Miami. We had no problems flying with it. We flew to Dusseldorf and on to Rome without difficulty. In fact we planned on buying again in a few weeks when we fly to Barcelona. Price was very good on Knob Creek.

Chris

The problem is carry on. One can purchase Duty Free after completing security check-in and take it home. But if you are to land in a foreign country en route and have to proceed through security again, you will loose the alcohol package. This envelope, which was used by the duty free people in Toronto to encase our bottles, allowed us to land in Iceland and then proceed through their security for a flight to the UK. There was no problem in showing this security package, which is a heavy-duty plastic envelope containing the package and the purchase receipt and once sealed must be cut open.

The problem is carry on. One can purchase Duty Free after completing security check-in and take it home. But if you are to land in a foreign country en route and have to proceed through security again, you will loose the alcohol package. This envelope, which was used by the duty free people in Toronto to encase our bottles, allowed us to land in Iceland and then proceed through their security for a flight to the UK. There was no problem in showing this security package, which is a heavy-duty plastic envelope containing the package and the purchase receipt and once sealed must be cut open.

Yes that is how we did it on Air Berlin. Just carried the specially sealed bad with enclosed papers. We had no trouble going through security when we changed planes. This time we have a direct flight from US to Barcelona. If price is still good, we plan on buying two. The issue will be boarding Princess in Barcelona. Since it will be sealed I am hoping there isn't a problem. Worse case scenario is they collect it and give it back to us in Ft. Lauderdale.

Chris

My flight will originate in Vancouver, connect in Frankfurt where I wished to buy alcohol and then go on to final destination in Istanbul. Would I be able to buy duty free alcohol in Frankfurt and then take it on flight to Istanbul. Thanks

As said above yes you can since Istanbul is outside the EU.

Archived