Why Ban e-Cigarettes?

Paul65

[quote name='Silverman']I'm not going to get into any arguments about this. I will say some of the posters really need to educate yourselves before posting. Now with that said. I will still use mine in my room, on a balcony, walking down the hall, in the elevator or anywhere else i feel like using it. There is no smell after the vapor sits for a few seconds so no one would even know I or anyone for that matter was using an ecig. One more Thing to point out. You remember those vaporizers we used as kids? You know the ones when you were sick? We'll guess what. They had PG in them. Did you have any issues then? No then you won't now either. Google is your friend. Use it!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/QUOTE]
Let me know how that goes!! Just call me chicken.:D

[quote name='xpcdoojk']super like!!!!![/QUOTE]

Oooh....I've been shamed now that you "super-like" a post overreacting to me calling some untruths about e-cigarettes FALSITIES. I suppose it wasn't right for me to say that. I should let people pretend that there's nothing in there but water vapor. I thought it was good to be educated, but you have shown me the light. :D :cool:

[quote name='evelyn51']Why then does Health Canada say they are not FDA approved for sale in Canada?

Sold online is bypassing?[/QUOTE]

I am not sure about the laws in Canada. In the US the courts ruled e-cigs are not food nor drugs so they are not ruled by them. Here also there are a lot of items, over the counter weight loss pills as an example, that are sold and have a label stating that their claims have not been proven by the FDA.

Well today I received a phone call from the executive office telling me that Royal would not be changing their smoking policy, BUT they were looking into a policy for e-cigs. The response they have receive has demonstrated the possibility that e-cigs might need to be viewed separately from smoking. She stated that once the review was completed, she would call me back to advise me of any changes made.

[quote name='medic123']Well today I received a phone call from the executive office telling me that Royal would not be changing their smoking policy, BUT they were looking into a policy for e-cigs. The response they have receive has demonstrated the possibility that e-cigs might need to be viewed separately from smoking. She stated that once the review was completed, she would call me back to advise me of any changes made.[/quote]

How and who did you contact? I would also be willing to add my two cents to have the e-cig policy reconsidered! Thanks

I have a friend who sadly extremely addicted to cigarettes. Smoking killed her husband at 49 of a massive stroke. She knows she has to stop. So she has recently started to smoke ecigs. I know the come in different "flavours". When she smokes them, they smell pretty nasty. I know smokers can't smell them. But us non-smokers can.

They can be quite unpleasant. I know the ones that my friend smokes burns blue at the end, so they don't quite look like regular cigarettes. Ecigs aren't as disgusting as cigarettes, but they DO have an odour.

[quote name='sun~']I have a friend who sadly extremely addicted to cigarettes. Smoking killed her husband at 49 of a massive stroke. She knows she has to stop. So she has recently started to smoke ecigs. I know the come in different "flavours". When she smokes them, they smell pretty nasty. I know smokers can't smell them. But us non-smokers can.

They can be quite unpleasant. I know the ones that my friend smokes burns blue at the end, so they don't quite look like regular cigarettes. Ecigs aren't as disgusting as cigarettes, but they DO have an odour.[/QUOTE]

Different ones do have different smells. The good side is the smell does not linger like smoke. I am often told mine smells like someone is baking cookies, I use a caramel cappuccino flavor.

[quote name='grand isle joe'].......they ban them for they don't make as much money selling on board as regular cigarettes.......all about the bucks......[/QUOTE]

So that explains why they treat e-cigarettes the same as they do regular cigarettes?

[quote name='FLACRUISER99']They do sometime! [URL]http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/09/25/3-year-old-burned-by-exploding-e-cigarette/[/URL][/quote]

True, but from the initial report, and information from the company's website, it appears she was using a charger that was not designed to be plugged into the car's convenience outlets.

This is a contentious topic but the one indisputable fact is that from Jan 1 2014 you will not be able to use any smoking device in area that have been banned unless you are willing to risk being taken of the ship at the next port ,
There is Likely to be fines incurred as well so if you wish to go right ahead but don't say you weren't warned .

[quote name='Kruser Karl']This is a contentious topic but the one indisputable fact is that from Jan 1 2014 you will not be able to use any smoking device in area that have been banned unless you are willing to risk being taken of the ship at the next port ,
There is Likely to be fines incurred as well so if you wish to go right ahead but don't say you weren't warned .[/QUOTE]

Thanks. NOW it's clear.

I thought the whole problem was that some people were sensitive to cigarette smoke and non smokers didn't want to be subjected to second hand smoke....hence the new smoking rules.

How exactly does E-cig smoking in cabins and balconys affect other passengers? More importantly, why are people so intent on restricting others when it has no effect on them?

[quote name='brigittetom']

How exactly does E-cig smoking in cabins and balconys affect other passengers? More importantly, why are people so intent on restricting others when it has no effect on them?[/quote]

The science is still out on that. Until there are studies corroborated and verified by the FDA, and they carry an approval from the SG, RCI is probably electing to err on the side of caution. The substances in E-cigs have been found safe to ingest whole, but not as a vapor.

I'm not saying they are as bad as or worse than cigarettes. I am just saying that any negative effects to bystanders is not fully understood yet.

If they are trust the FDA to say they are safe, that scares me. That is the same group that says Chantix is safe and there is thousands of cases of that stuff causing people to go crazy. Their only concern right now is not safety, but how to keep kids from getting them.

[quote name='medic123']If they are trust the FDA to say they are safe, that scares me. That is the same group that says Chantix is safe and there is thousands of cases of that stuff causing people to go crazy. Their only concern right now is not safety, but how to keep kids from getting them.[/QUOTE]

In Canada it appears we have stricter FDA (?) standards as items available in other Countries are not available in Canada.

[quote name='evelyn51']In Canada it appears we have stricter FDA (?) standards as items available in other Countries are not available in Canada.[/QUOTE]
And some items available over the counter in Canada require a doctor prescription here.

Archived