Excursion Disembarkation

maz1838

Hi

Please can someone enlighten me on the disembarkation routines when arriving in port. I have booked excursions independently. Do those on cruise line bought excursions take precedent? Also do you scan on and off the boat.

I noticed on one thread that Ulu knives are taken and stored for final disenbarkation. I usually pack a 'fruit knife' so I can peel/section fruit, on embarkation should this be in my carry on or in my suitcase. Or will it be confiscated. On a land tour first so need to know.

Can I add first time cruiser, who is a bit OCD on planning and detail!!

Thanks in advance.

Pack your "fruit" knife in your checked luggage.

Yes -- Ulu's will be held until the last full day of the cruise and then they will be returned to pack. For flying home, the Ulu's must be packed in your checked luggage.

For ports where you are docked, once the ship is cleared by the local authorities, you can get off any time you want to. Just remember to be back on the ship 1/2 hour before it is scheduled to leave.

Yes, you will need to scan your ID card each time you leave the ship and each time you get back on the ship.

As for tendered ports, the ship's excursions will leave first. Your "On Location" daily program will list the place and time where you can go and get a tender ticket. Once the majority of the ship's excursions have left, then they will start to call the number for people going ashore.

Times for when you should be back on the ship will be listed in the daily "On Location" program.

First cruise -- Alaska -- wonderful.

Have a great time.

Hi

I noticed on one thread that Ulu knives are taken and stored for final disenbarkation. I usually pack a 'fruit knife' so I can peel/section fruit, on embarkation should this be in my carry on or in my suitcase. Or will it be confiscated. On a land tour first so need to know.

Can I add first time cruiser, who is a bit OCD on planning and detail!!

Thanks in advance.

I think the fruit knife may depend on your port of embarkation. I had a friend who embarked in New York and her small fruit knife was confiscated from her checked bag, she was present when this happened. It was returned at the end of her cruise. The same knife was not confiscated at Fort Lauderdale on her next cruise! To get round this I "borrow" a knife from the dining room which is usually sufficient for my purposes.

We have been to Alaska many times, mostly on HAL. This time we are scheduled to dock at 1pm in Juneau, instead of a morning docking. Our ship excursion leaves at 1:30pm, and probably meets on the dock at 1:15pm (cruise is not for another week or so). I am wondering if it will be difficult to get off the ship in time. We usually leave the ship about 1-2 hrs after docking, especially if it is at 8am!:eek: I know some shorex meet onboard, but I wouldn't expect that for this excursion.

Will we need to line up somewhere on board at 12noon to get off in time? Anyone with any experience with this? In retrospect, I probably should've signed up for the excursion which leaves an hour or so later.

Thanks for any help,

Penny

With an independent excursion, be back at the ship with plenty of time to spare.

Should there be any delays on the excursion, the ship would never know about it. It's always wise to book HAL shore excursions. They many cost slightly more, but it is a cheap form of insurance.

I think the fruit knife may depend on your port of embarkation. I had a friend who embarked in New York and her small fruit knife was confiscated from her checked bag, she was present when this happened. It was returned at the end of her cruise. The same knife was not confiscated at Fort Lauderdale on her next cruise! To get round this I "borrow" a knife from the dining room which is usually sufficient for my purposes.

Last year, on our cruisetour, we had a fruit cutting knife that we used while on the land portion. We packed it in our checked bag to go to the ship with no problem. We embarked in Seward.

We have been to Alaska many times, mostly on HAL. This time we are scheduled to dock at 1pm in Juneau, instead of a morning docking. Our ship excursion leaves at 1:30pm, and probably meets on the dock at 1:15pm (cruise is not for another week or so). I am wondering if it will be difficult to get off the ship in time. We usually leave the ship about 1-2 hrs after docking, especially if it is at 8am!:eek: I know some shorex meet onboard, but I wouldn't expect that for this excursion.

Will we need to line up somewhere on board at 12noon to get off in time? Anyone with any experience with this? In retrospect, I probably should've signed up for the excursion which leaves an hour or so later.

Thanks for any help,

Penny

If it is a ship excursion I would be pretty sure you won't miss it. Your excursion ticket (in your room at embarkation) will tell you the time and place to meet.

Archived