Inexpensive and/or free

deziner73

Hey all. I'm a first-time cruiser and will be in St. Thomas on Oct.14th. I'm sailing the 7 night cruise on the Carnival Valor with 5 different ports. I have excursions booked in two ports (St. Lucia and Barbados), and am looking for inexpensive/free things to do in the other ports. I'm on a budget, and trying to stay as close to it as possible. I will be doing most activities on the ship itself, but do want to see one or two things in the ports that I don't have tours lined up for.

Please give me some ideas for St. Thomas and how to get there (and how much it will cost). Looking to stay at <$25. Thanks all!

Walk from Havensight to the fort (go through Yacht Haven Grande) and walk the 99 steps and see the historic area. Walk back down and just walk the "alleys" connecting Waterfront and Main Sts. Interesting history right there.

Spend your $25 on lunch at Coconuts (10 Main Street but on the corner of Back Street) and sit outside and enjoy the best burger on the island with their Backstreet Bushwacker while people watching then taxi back to port.

Or instead, if Paradise Point has reopened as planned, buy the tram ticket at your excursion desk (refundable) and relax to the great view of the harbor while enjoying the music and a Bailey's Bushwacker or a cold beer. The walk from the dock to the tram is just a short walk.

My husband & I have been to St Thomas many times. We have found that we enjoy taking a taxi to Lindbergh Bay (it is near the airport) and hanging out on the beach. There is a small hotel there that lets you use there facilities to change clothes if you wish. You can rent chairs from them but not a necessity. They also have a place to buy soda or liquor. We hang out on the beach and swim. I believe the taxi costs approx $8 pp round trip. We usually go after breakfast and then head back to the ship around 2pm and grab a quick bite to eat for lunch on the ship. This keeps our costs down on this island.

:)

Yes, if a beach is the plan Morningstar is the closest beach to Havensight and $5 each way, or since you're not in a hurry take the $2 taxi (first time I've ever made that recommendation! :o ). But I agree with jbmom that Lindbergh would be the better choice even though it's all the way to the airport.

Archived