Vancouver Stay

Am ending cruise in Vancouver in June, 2006. Would like to stay a bit; however, my budget is limited. Would two nights be enough to see the highlights? Any suggestions on absolutely "must see" areas?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Myrtle

Second the Trolley and there are other sights that you can enjoy on a budget.. get off and spend some time in Stanley Park, visit Granville Island, walk about Gastown.. Vancouver is a lovely city, easy to navigate with a good bus system as well. And tons of corner restaurants esp. out near English Bay and Stanley Park area that are more residential with good food at a very good price

I'd also recommend the Anthropology Museum at the University of BC. It has an amazing collection of First Nations art and totem poles, plus it is a fascinating building, and sits on a bluff with great views of downtown. You can get there easily on a city bus. The maritime museum is also wonderful.

..Museum of Anthropology at UBC, Granville Island Market, Maritime Musdum and Vancouver Museum [close together], Chinatown and the Sun Yat Sen Gardens, Robson Street, Art Gallery and, of course, Stanley Park - walking is very good, the bus system is pretty good. Vancouver is an easy city to explore without a car

Only disagreement here: the Sun Yat Sen Gardens were a total rip off, as there were very nice public gardens available, free of charge. I'm a member of several Botanical Gardens around the US, so I seldom say this. :( They were just very dissapointing, and a waste of our precious two days!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the Dr. Sun Yat Sen garden was incredible, and I don't recall it costing much. With your entry, you get a docent-led tour, and it is imporant to tour the garden with someone who knows its history and can tell you how it was created. This is unlike any garden you have ever seen. The horticulture takes a back seat to the architecture and history of it, the yin and yang of the placement of every bush, stone, wall, window. (My husband didn't get it either, Dog Mommie.)

Here are just four of the photos I shot there.

Archived