NCL Pride of America, Remodeled Deck 13 ...Suites anyone?

CactusFlower527

Yesterday I received an 'informational' call from NCL. She wanted to make sure I understood that our cabin overlooks the pool. I asked her what cabin she had us in. She said 13506. That's the correct one.

We originally were going to book 13020 but then noticed it and 13022, 13522 and 13520 overlook the pool. Yes, she said those also overlook the pool. Then she said our view would be of the pool and looking forward.

I have looked at the deck plans over & over. I have used the stairs and elevators as a reference point. I cannot figure out how we are overlooking the pool and looking forward.

I really wish they would get their deck plans and cabin descriptions updated. Not that it would matter now since everything is paid for. But, it would be nice to know. Guess I'm spoiled by their other ships where what you see on the deck plans is what you get.

Yesterday I received an 'informational' call from NCL. She wanted to make sure I understood that our cabin overlooks the pool. I asked her what cabin she had us in. She said 13506. That's the correct one.

We originally were going to book 13020 but then noticed it and 13022, 13522 and 13520 overlook the pool. Yes, she said those also overlook the pool. Then she said our view would be of the pool and looking forward.

I have looked at the deck plans over & over. I have used the stairs and elevators as a reference point. I cannot figure out how we are overlooking the pool and looking forward.

I really wish they would get their deck plans and cabin descriptions updated. Not that it would matter now since everything is paid for. But, it would be nice to know. Guess I'm spoiled by their other ships where what you see on the deck plans is what you get.

NCL's floor plans are up to date however the rep isn;t. But here are some pics from a paid website that I was able to get . You'll see the penthouse balconies on deck 13 overlooking pool, the pool is on deck 11 so you'll have 1 deck of cabins under you but not in the penthouses , in the pic it looks like Key West Bar, so your actually looking down 2 decks to the pool.

I personally would not select these penthouse at the back due to noise and if in fact the bar is still there right under you'll it could be annoying.

I dont know what your needs are but having done this cruise three times and all b2b we stayed in Aft balcony deck 9 or 10 but also look at the corner family suits that have been re categorized to P/H the you'' have huge wrap around balconies.

The aft of ship is really where you want to be because if there is lava flowing on starboard side you'll be able to see it and Napali is on portside so you'll be able to see it to.I have some pics of 9698 and 10678.

lgpic1289842882.jpg.69dc505cd4d197598ae0421eb708bcac.jpg

lgpic1289842855.jpg.920d8535709e40b219e46472a39e7e0c.jpg

We are on a POA sailing in a couple weeks. We booked a suite on Deck 13 last year (Oct), after being told it was a two br suite. Earlier in the summer, something told me to check on exactly what the cabin was, and after several emails and phone calls to both our TA and NCL, we learned after them reviewing the actual blueprints, that the cabin WAS NOT a 2 BR as we were sold. Even their website at the time still said 2 BR. After huffing and puffing for a while, we were upgraded to a CAT SA on deck 9, which is an actual 2 BR, 2 BATH, and almost double the price of our original cabin. Luckily they had one available. The following day, the website changed. I just knew there would be many many people that were misled and some wont realize it until they are onboard. NCL will have their hands full for a while over this debacle.

I was looking forward to the brand new suite, but I would rather have the extra space and privacy of an actual 2 BR for the five of us.

I am glad NCL came through for us as we are Platinum members, and this surely would have left a bad taste in my mouth. They at least owned it and did the right thing. I know that others won't be as fortunate.

NCL's floor plans are up to date however the rep isn;t. But here are some pics from a paid website that I was able to get . You'll see the penthouse balconies on deck 13 overlooking pool, the pool is on deck 11 so you'll have 1 deck of cabins under you but not in the penthouses , in the pic it looks like Key West Bar, so your actually looking down 2 decks to the pool.

I personally would not select these penthouse at the back due to noise and if in fact the bar is still there right under you'll it could be annoying.

I dont know what your needs are but having done this cruise three times and all b2b we stayed in Aft balcony deck 9 or 10 but also look at the corner family suits that have been re categorized to P/H the you'' have huge wrap around balconies.

The aft of ship is really where you want to be because if there is lava flowing on starboard side you'll be able to see it and Napali is on portside so you'll be able to see it to.I have some pics of 9698 and 10678.

Thank you very much for those photos.

I'm going to send one to our Travel Agent.

We *almost* booked a Penthouse Suite on Deck 13.

We thought it would be nice to have one of the brand new suites.

I KEPT asking, "What is that white area surrounding the staterooms on Deck 13 on the online Deck Plans?"

We were concerned that we would be looking over some public deck areas, or perhaps "just" the roof of another Deck, and not a clear view of the water. It wasn't even clear how high that "white area" would be.

NCL *repeatedly* insisted that there was "nothing there", that the port & starboard balcony views were just like any others - of the water.

All we had to do was compare the scale, and it was obvious that there was "something" there.

We were finally told that yes, it was a "roof", and not a public area.

There would be NO noise whatsoever. NOT a public area. NO view of a public area, either, just a solid roof.

We didn't trust that.

After seeing that photo, we are SO glad we did NOT book a starboard or port Penthouse Suite on Deck 13 (and not an Aft suite there, either).

NCL *KNEW* what they had planned for construction ages ago.

This isn't any "surprise" to them.

WHY was NCL not prepared with correct descriptions, Deck Plans, and Floor Plans - a LONG time ago?

(They even had two versions of the Deck Plans, for "before and after" September 7th, 2013. But the "after September 7th, 2013" descriptons were NOT correct - not at all. And they STILL aren't.)

Midnight Blue seems a lot more calm than we would have been in their place, especially if two *separate* bedrooms were essential.

ALSO: Elsewhere, we mentioned the attempted upsell, where NCL seriously misrepresented "what we'd be getting". (We had the TA call back and ask, several times.)

We just didn't trust it...

Good thing, too.

GeezerCouple

We are on a POA sailing in a couple weeks. We booked a suite on Deck 13 last year (Oct), after being told it was a two br suite. Earlier in the summer, something told me to check on exactly what the cabin was, and after several emails and phone calls to both our TA and NCL, we learned after them reviewing the actual blueprints, that the cabin WAS NOT a 2 BR as we were sold. Even their website at the time still said 2 BR. After huffing and puffing for a while, we were upgraded to a CAT SA on deck 9, which is an actual 2 BR, 2 BATH, and almost double the price of our original cabin. Luckily they had one available. The following day, the website changed. I just knew there would be many many people that were misled and some wont realize it until they are onboard. NCL will have their hands full for a while over this debacle.

I was looking forward to the brand new suite, but I would rather have the extra space and privacy of an actual 2 BR for the five of us.

I am glad NCL came through for us as we are Platinum members, and this surely would have left a bad taste in my mouth. They at least owned it and did the right thing. I know that others won't be as fortunate.

Not happy, but I just got a call from NCL, where she went over our class SD Suite ..you can tell that sh*t is hitting the fan.

We booked a year ago (end of October), their website then & still shows on our summary, a 2 bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms and she is telling us that's NOT what we are getting with 13502...rather a 1 bedroom a living/dining room thing and 400+ square foot deck.

So now we have 4 adults...in... 1 king, a double murphy bed and double sleeper sofa. Not 2 bedrooms and only 1 bathroom. Told us the room I described is an SA class (owner's suite), not what we booked back a year ago - it's not what we paid for but we can upgrade for another $5000. :(

well guess what we do not have another $5000, and the "PICTURE" on our cruise summary still shows a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom family suite. ..yes I just looked. How can they SHOW one thing and what you get is so totally different, false advertising?

Not happy, but I just got a call from NCL, where she went over our class SD Suite ..you can tell that sh*t is hitting the fan.

We booked a year ago (end of October), their website then & still shows on our summary, a 2 bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms and she is telling us that's NOT what we are getting with 13502...rather a 1 bedroom a living/dining room thing and 400+ square foot deck.

So now we have 4 adults...in... 1 king, a double murphy bed and double sleeper sofa. Not 2 bedrooms and only 1 bathroom. Told us the room I described is an SA class (owner's suite), not what we booked back a year ago - it's not what we paid for but we can upgrade for another $5000. :(

well guess what we do not have another $5000, and the "PICTURE" on our cruise summary still shows a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom family suite. ..yes I just looked. How can they SHOW one thing and what you get is so totally different, false advertising?

SA is actually only on Deck 9 (9000 and 9500). I dont believe ANY of the new Deck 13 suites are actual 2 bedroom/2 bathroom suites. Highest category on Deck 13 is a SC.

SA is actually only on Deck 9 (9000 and 9500). I dont believe ANY of the new Deck 13 suites are actual 2 bedroom/2 bathroom suites. Highest category on Deck 13 is a SC.
'

Agreed, the gal (Kathryn) that I spoke with this morning didn't specify the SA they had was on Deck 13, just that they had one they could 'upgrade' us up to one(did not ask where since the $ part of it made it moot). It was going to cost $15k vs the $10k we booked back last year.

The sad part about this, why would they SELL rooms for Deck 13 that they didn't have...................:confused: We definitely booked a 2 bedroom Family suite on Deck 13 -------------- there were 2 of us looking at it and one of those people has sailed NCL and POA before................... when you click on the drop down for our stateroom.....................it does indeed show a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suite. Even when I go on there right now, today, it's what it shows. This is what I could not seem to get Kathryn to understand.

'

Agreed, the gal (Kathryn) that I spoke with this morning didn't specify the SA they had was on Deck 13, just that they had one they could 'upgrade' us up to one(did not ask where since the $ part of it made it moot). It was going to cost $15k vs the $10k we booked back last year.

The sad part about this, why would they SELL rooms for Deck 13 that they didn't have...................:confused: We definitely booked a 2 bedroom Family suite on Deck 13 -------------- there were 2 of us looking at it and one of those people has sailed NCL and POA before................... when you click on the drop down for our stateroom.....................it does indeed show a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suite. Even when I go on there right now, today, it's what it shows. This is what I could not seem to get Kathryn to understand.

Cactus Flower, could you repost your issue on the thread I created about these problems? I'm hoping if enough of us publicize the problem we're having, NCL will at least acknowledge the issue and try to make it right in some way.

Midnight Blue seems a lot more calm than we would have been in their place, especially if two *separate* bedrooms were essential.

GeezerCouple

I think my family would disagree with you... :o And by the way -- thank you for the support.

And here's another thing -- apparently, Cactus Flower527 has been told there are 2 bedroom suites she could upgrade to as of this morning. When we asked two days ago about the possibility of moving to a different room, we were told the ship is entirely full and there was nothing available. Now I suppose there could have been cancellations, but we're beyond final payment for many (most?) people, so somehow I suspect that again, we were given incorrect information -- just to get us off the phone.

Edited by Midnight Blue

I think my family would disagree with you... :o And by the way -- thank you for the support.

And here's another thing -- apparently, Cactus Flower527 has been told there are 2 bedroom suites she could upgrade to as of this morning. When we asked two days ago about the possibility of moving to a different room, we were told the ship is entirely full and there was nothing available. Now I suppose there could have been cancellations, but we're beyond final payment for many (most?) people, so somehow I suspect that again, we were given incorrect information -- just to get us off the phone.

We both really feel for you.

For one thing (this is not the most important, obviously), the enjoyment should be starting at the planning stage, and continue to and through the cruise!

It is possible that the people you spoke with were not just brushing you off, although that certainly IS possible, too.

Given our *repeated* interactions, about two separate issues (on two entirely separate occasions), it seems all too likely that too many of the NCL reps simply have no clue.

We repeatedly got what now seems to be completely incorrect information about what category a particular cabin was, and we were repeatedly given what now seems to be completely incorrect information about what is "beyond and below" the starboard and port suite balconies on Deck 13.

Unfortunately, the NCL reps apparently also have no clue that they have no clue, and seem more than eager to make assurances without checking further. THAT is *part* of the problem.

Even when the published Website directly contradicts what they are saying.

But the MAIN problem seems to be that NCL planned these renovations (this was NOT just "refurbishing", as in updating carpets, furniture, fixtures!) but never bothered to share the actual plans with their own staff - or on their public Website. This is despite the fact that they had many months to do so (and probably many, many months).

There is simply NO EXCUSE for this.

There weren't any "surprises" here, or there should not have been!

NCL could have - and should have - distributed the correct descriptions and floor plans (even if not fancy ones) as soon as they knew the plans, and used ACCURATE descriptions and diagrams in the selling of their products.

It IS that simple!

GeezerCouple

We sailed POA Sept 7-14. I was shocked how un-private the suite balconies on deck 13 are. Yes, the balconies facing aft look right over the pool and folks can see you from many areas. Even with the balconies facing forward, folks standing on the sun deck on deck 14 can look down onto you on the uncovered portion (these are covered by white tarp like covers tied to poles, and actually make a lot of noise flapping in the wind).

Sorry for all the folks having trouble getting info on what they have paid for. There is way too much conflicting info. If I was in that position, I would escalate through customer service and try to get a supervisor to actually get in touch with someone on the ship and insist they send you photos of the actual room, seeing how many discrepancies there are. If it only has one bedroom when you were sold two, you should have recourse, but there may not be too many options for cruises coming up soon.

I'm glad I hadn't set my expectations too high for POA. My hubby had, despite my warnings to focus attention on the destination not the cruise, and was disappointed. Lots of little annoyances added up for us, especially with food, as we just didn't do much else on the ship besides sleep & eat.

For one, to dine at a specialty restaurant at a time other than 5:30 or 9pm, you had to reserve at least a day in advance. The Brazilian place was oddly the least crowded (excellent by the way). The boards would show lots of green and yellow times, but those don't account for when they are holding a table for a reservation or when folks are dining (for example, it may only show red at 7pm, but you couldn't get a reservation at 6 or 6:30pm as they would hold tables for 7pm). Very misleading.

Also, there was a lack of food options between meals...the buffet completely shuts down from 3-6pm, so its only room service or the diner. No place to grab a quick snack besides the popcorn in the bar next to the buffet. If you want to go back out on a long port day, or go to a shop activity, you don't want to wait 20-40 min for room service. Glad we brought snacks! Why can't they at least have some simple non-perishable items out like fruit and crackers? They even closed off the soft serve machine between lunch & dinner (no bowls or cones out even if you wanted to disregard the blockade). I've never had that on other cruise lines...they would leave the buffet open between meals, just having very limited stuff (mostly snacks, fruit, desert).

Oddly enough they only had cookies at the buffet at dinner, only 6-9pm. Seems more like a lunch thing. For an afternoon sweet you had to order room service, or think ahead and get some the night before. Besides the cookies and the deserts at the Brazilian place, we didn't like any of the deserts (although we only went to the buffet, Skyline dining room, and Asian restaurant). The buffet was better than average but the main dining room was worse than average. Also, they would start to clear out the buffet well before the end of the meal service...if you went at 6pm to check out dinner options, and went back at 7:30pm to eat, almost half the options would be taken away.

At breakfast, near the end of the time frame, they stopped refilling items. Moderno was a hidden secret for breakfast. We assumed it would have less options, but in fact it had more, as they kept stocking it at the end of breakfast as it stayed open later than the buffet, 9:30-10:30am (although converted to continental for 10:30-11:30am). It was also much quieter. You do have to step right outside the restaurant though for juice or water. They have more items (especially condiments) available, but you have to know to ask. Don't know why they couldn't keep Tabasco sauce out...I assume they would take it back to the kitchen after clearing a table, instead of putting it back near the eggs?

I was expecting a little more from the dry dock. New carpet was nice, but the furnishings in our balcony cabin were all obviously old. Everywhere I looked there was something worn or grimy (needing a detailed cleaning like with a toothbrush in the bathroom along edges). Curtains and couch were icky in spots. Deck furniture was a mix of old & new. Had the best room stewardess so far too. We needed another week on the ship to try out activities...never made it to a single show or activity besides one wine tasting. By the time we were back from excursions we just wanted some time to shower and sit in air conditioning and rest, as we are not used to the heat & humidity. Loved the itinerary and we had a fabulous trip though! Best wishes.

Maybe different sailings? We're going on May 10 2014....

she did not not specify which deck these were on, since when she said it was $5000 more for our group of 4, I told her to forget it.

Thank you for posting the pictures. I did look to see what SE's were still available and there were 3. Two of them are cabins above the bar and the 3rd is on deck 10 at the front of the ship. I think we'll stick with what we have and hope it's not a huge let down. I asked the woman who called if she could get me square footage for our particular cabin. There is a very large range given for that category. She said the cabin is 419 sf and the balcony is 247 sf for a total of 666. That's not a warning, is it? :confused: :eek: :D

I use a site called cruise fish (all one word) dot net which lists all available categories and the current price. I check our cruises often so that I can call if there is a price drop.

I too just for off the phone with NCL and we were booked in SD Suite 13002. We were informed that there is not actually a bedroom in this cabin . The bed is seperated from the rest of the cabin with a curtain!

After much complaining we were moved to cabin 13000 which actually does have a door on the bedroom.

Descriptions are very confusing and the pictures do not show the actual cabins. The rep I spoke to actually sent me the archetect layouts for both 13002 and 13000.

The website should be updated with accurate imformation.

I was sent an email to contact them. I guess the sh-t is hitting the fan and they are trying to put out the fires before the passengers find out the hard way on the day they board the ship.

I too just for off the phone with NCL and we were booked in SD Suite 13002. We were informed that there is not actually a bedroom in this cabin . The bed is seperated from the rest of the cabin with a curtain!

After much complaining we were moved to cabin 13000 which actually does have a door on the bedroom.

Descriptions are very confusing and the pictures do not show the actual cabins. The rep I spoke to actually sent me the archetect layouts for both 13002 and 13000.

I was sent an email to contact them. I guess the sh-t is hitting the fan and they are trying to put out the fires before the passengers find out the hard way on the day they board the ship.

Please consider posting this on the thread entitled "Problems With POA Deck Plans and NCL Representatives" -- I *think* NCL may actually be reading that thread. All of us are trying to post our experiences there so that NCL can see the magnitude of the problem and we can share what we're being offered so that none of us gets slighted.

Can you share the layouts you got? I have both 13002 and 13000 booked and I really want to see the layout of the room, and the balconies.

A curtain down the middle of the room on a room that sleeps 6 (and is described as two separate bedrooms) is just wrong. It seems to meet every definition of false or misleading advertising.

Can you share the layouts you got? I have both 13002 and 13000 booked and I really want to see the layout of the room, and the balconies.

A curtain down the middle of the room on a room that sleeps 6 (and is described as two separate bedrooms) is just wrong. It seems to meet every definition of false or misleading advertising.

the gal I spoke to at NCL told me there are NO 2 BEDROOM/bathroom suites on DECK 13 at all....

I was trying to figure out how to share those on here but couldn't figure it out. I can email them you you or if you could tell me how to post them I would be happy to share the information.

Cindy