Is Global Entry being used at any cruise ports

scomar

First of all, if you are unaware of what Global Entry is, here is a description. Global Entry (GE) is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States.

I just received my GE, and although I did find a thread on this that is a year old, it said this was not really used much in cruise ports, I was wondering if this has changed. Has anyone had any experience with GE at cruise ports recently? We will be cruising out of San Juan on the Jewel of the Sea, but I wonder about other ports as well.

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by scomar

No need... cruise ship manifests are vetted before you ever arrive at the port. No shoes off... empty your pockets... take off those sun glasses... no hassles at the machines... lap tops out... xray and on you go. They just wand you if you "ring the buzzer". Takes about 2 minutes or less. Lines move quickly (for the most part).

Guest maddycat
No need... cruise ship manifests are vetted before you ever arrive at the port. No shoes off... empty your pockets... take off those sun glasses... no hassles at the machines... lap tops out... xray and on you go. They just wand you if you "ring the buzzer". Takes about 2 minutes or less. Lines move quickly (for the most part).

The only time that the security line was slow was when the person before us in line had an iron. We had to wait while the iron was taken and a receipt was filled out.

Per the HE website they only have the GF in airports.

The Global Entry is not a TSA program. There are other programs for speedy security clearance.

For the initial poster: Were they flexible to schedule the interview?

As you, I do not live close to an airport where the interview can take place, so I would like to schedule one while in transit

Edited by The Viking

Global Entry isn't being used at any cruise port at this point.... We have found it very helpful though at the airport when flying back from cruises that have ended outside the U.S. We've used it at the airports in Vancouver, Atlanta, Miami and Houston.

If you haven't done it already, be sure to enter your known traveler number in your flight profile so that you qualify for TSA Pre as well. They do have TSA Pre at the airport in San Juan, which was great when I flew home from there in July.

For the initial poster: Were they flexible to schedule the interview?

As you, I do not live close to an airport where the interview can take place, so I would like to schedule one while in transit

Not the OP, but I got my GE about a year and a half ago. I'm based in SLC, where believe it or not they don't do interviews....

Some of the locations seem to be better about scheduling appointments than others. The appointment scheduling is all done online. I could not get anyone to return any phone calls that I made about appointments.

Initially I scheduled an appointment for my husband during a time when we were both going to be in Vancouver. Unfortunately, they only had one appointment that was available during a time that would work for us, so I scheduled an appointment for myself in Las Vegas since I was going to be going down there for a few days a couple of weeks later.

When we got to Vancouver, I went along with DH to his appointment. We explained to them that I had an appointment scheduled in Las Vegas, but that it would be really convenient to do it at the same time as DH if they were able to accomodate me. They were really extremely nice about it and had another agent interview me at the same time as DH's interview. Of course, YMMV.

Edited by elleluv

There has to be a global entry kiosk at the port, I have not seen one. What I find funny on the hologram on my card there is plane and a ship.

It is the best thing my husband and I have done in a long time. While you do have Global Entry at the airport you are also a trusted traveler.

Global entry is an entry back into the US program from abroad not a get onto the ship/plane quicker program.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

First of all, if you are unaware of what Global Entry is, here is a description. Global Entry (GE) is a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States.

I just received my GE, and although I did find a thread on this that is a year old, it said this was not really used much in cruise ports, I was wondering if this has changed. Has anyone had any experience with GE at cruise ports recently? We will be cruising out of San Juan on the Jewel of the Sea, but I wonder about other ports as well.

Thanks,

Scott

No global entry at any port we have returned to this year....Baltimore, FLL, or San Juan. We asked in all 3 ports and were told no.

Global entry is an entry back into the US program from abroad not a get onto the ship/plane quicker program.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When you get your global entry you have a secondary benefit of becoming a trusted travler, at certain airports you bypass the normal line, go to where the flight crew goes. no jackets off, no liquids out of the bag, and computers remain in the bag.

Sounds like the answer is a resounding no on the Global Entry at a port. The system is relatively new, so maybe in the future, the TSA Pre-check which comes with your GE isn't at all airports yet. I fly our of Kansas City International (KCI), which can hardly be called an international air port. It has a few flight to Mexico and that is it, but there is no TSA pre-check and only certain airlines will let you enter your GE info for the GE to work.

Any way to the poster asking about interviews, as the other poster pointed out, all the scheduling is done online. They want you to schedule your interview as soon as you are approved, but it is rather simple to move it if you need to, again all online. Also if you are thinking about applying here is a tip. If for some reason you are denied, then try to do an appeal. I applied and was denied for a something I may or may not of possessed when I was in my 20's some people use it as medicine nowadays (wink, wink). I was young and dumb (now just stupid and old), but in the 30 years since I have 3 government security clearances one being a top secret clearance plus have not been in trouble since that time. I appealed their decision and they reversed it.

I think it would be easy for them to have a line for GE at the ports. Which would give you the benefit of not having to fill out the declarations form (you do it at the kiosk) and getting out of the port quicker if you need to catch an early flight home.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Edited by scomar

The system is relatively new, so maybe in the future, the TSA Pre-check which comes with your GE isn't at all airports yet. I fly our of Kansas City International (KCI), which can hardly be called an international air port. It has a few flight to Mexico and that is it, but there is no TSA pre-check and only certain airlines will let you enter your GE info for the GE to work.

I just got an email from TSA a couple of days ago... they are scheduled to add 60 more airports to the TSA Pre program by the end of the year and Kansas City IS on the list. :)

They are adding more airlines as well... Currently the airlines participating are Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Hawaiian Airlines, United Airlines, US Airways and Virgin America. JetBlue and Southwest are expected to begin participating when "operationally ready".

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2013/09/04/tsa-precheck-expands-60-additional-airports

Edited by elleluv

I just got an email from TSA a couple of days ago... they are scheduled to add 60 more airports to the TSA Pre program by the end of the year and Kansas City IS on the list. :)

They are adding more airlines as well... Currently the airlines participating are Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Hawaiian Airlines, United Airlines, US Airways and Virgin America. JetBlue and Southwest are expected to begin participating when "operationally ready".

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2013/09/04/tsa-precheck-expands-60-additional-airports

I hope that JB and SWA are operationally ready sooner rather than later! I had to laugh when I saw Tha Long Beach will be getting Pre Check. The last time I flew from there, I was the only person in line to go through security. I had to interrupt the TSA agent's texting for him to examine my boarding pass!

I have a question for any of you, besides calling rci.... Has anyone gotten a visa for the US and then turned around and cruised? Did you have to apply for another travel visa? Thanks!

A United States B-1 B-2 Visa usually has a validity of up to 10 years, there is normally no restriction on how you arrive at the port of entry. If you fly into the US and take a closed loop cruise, the re-entry process is very quick and straightforward (passport swipe and fingerprint scan). Your entry validity remains the same as when you originally arrived, and your passport is not re-stamped.

If you arrive on a non closed loop cruise, such as a Transatlantic repositioning cruise, then port of entry requirements are the same as if you had arrived by air.

The same holds true if you do not hold a US visa, but enter on a visa waiver (for qualifying individuals from qualifying countries,) although that individual would need to have applied and been granted an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA,) prior to embarkation.

First of all YEA!!! KC is getting TSA Pre-Check. Second of all what are you signed up for that you get TSA update emails?

Thanks for posting this!!

When I had my GE interview, I specifically asked about cruise ports and was told that not right now, but it will be coming. When is another matter. :rolleyes:

Please let us know if you think it is possible to schedule the interview to fit in with a layover in one of the airoorts.

First of all YEA!!! KC is getting TSA Pre-Check. Second of all what are you signed up for that you get TSA update emails?

You are quite welcome.... I thought you'd be happy about that... :)

I *think* I got on the TSA mailing list because I was one of their original test subjects for Pre.

When they first started testing the program they did it with frequent flyers of few airlines in a couple of their Hubs. I'm SLC based and am a Platinum member in Delta's FF program, so Delta sent me an email inviting me to participate.

Once I accepted the invitation with TSA through a link that Delta provided me, I started getting periodic emails from TSA about the program.

Yes this is a good thing for you even tough yiu to not have too long lines up there.

The best thing with these TSA precheck lines is that they all are seasoned travellers and you do not have the agreviation of being hung up by someone who does not know what it takes to go smoothky througs the check.

Please let us know if you think it is possible to schedule the interview to fit in with a layover in one of the airoorts.

I would do that if I had a very long layover scheduled. I'd probably want about 3 hours to work with... Not so much because the interview itself takes very long... it was probably about 20 minutes from the time we sat down until we were done.

The locations I looked at all have the interview location outside of security, so you'll need time to re-enter the secured area. You also may have to wait a little while after checking in for the interview to start.

You are quite welcome.... I thought you'd be happy about that... :)

I *think* I got on the TSA mailing list because I was one of their original test subjects for Pre.

When they first started testing the program they did it with frequent flyers of few airlines in a couple of their Hubs. I'm SLC based and am a Platinum member in Delta's FF program, so Delta sent me an email inviting me to participate.

Once I accepted the invitation with TSA through a link that Delta provided me, I started getting periodic emails from TSA about the program.

So your the one that start all this TSA searching thing :D. I sent an email to TSA asking if they have a email update list. We'll see what they say. Thanks for all your usefull info an you ever feel like all the FF miles are weighing you down feel free to send some my way;).

As for the poster as king about a GE interview during a lay over, I agree with you. You would need a two or three hour window to be safe. My interview was about 15 mins but you may have to wait in a line. My first was in Houston (had to wait) second in Chicago (went before my scheduled time and got in early) so you never know.

Yes this is a good thing for you even tough yiu to not have too long lines up there.

The best thing with these TSA precheck lines is that they all are seasoned travellers and you do not have the agreviation of being hung up by someone who does not know what it takes to go smoothky througs the check.

You know they are wanting to construct a new airport with just one security access point, which everyone is all up in arms about. Thing is our airport is great for the short lines but that is where it stops. There is not a single airline that wants to put a hub in KC, which means a lot less non stops flying out of here. The baggage system here is not connected to all three terminals so that is a huge problem for airlines that want to do a hub here.