suba question!!

bfkkbc

well don't take this as a 'dig' cuz it is NOT meant as such

but it is a silly question .....

akin to this: is the weather in my backyard or my parent's better . . . .

On any day the particular conditions on a dive site can NOT be predicted

btw - I have over 100 dives on Cozumel sites, and more than that off Grand Cayman

You will now be entertained by several people who will tell you why I am wrong and ONE place IS better than the other. . . .

I have a hundred dives on the SAME site ... some dives were good, some were bad, a few were OUTSTANDING. To get good pictures, one sometimes sits for a LONG time in the same place waiting for the planets to align

P7036408_zps9ca51e9a.jpg

I WILL say that Cozumel is typically boat drift diving and in Grand Cayman you can more easily find good shore diving, but if you do the 'Cayman wall' expect depths of 75+ and a shallow second dive on your boat trip . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think you can go wrong with either choice. DH and our two sons who were 10, dove Grand Cayman. It was a great first ocean dive for the boys. They used Eden Rock and dove the Grottos. The reason we chose it over Coz was our local dive group dives in Coz a couple of times a year and they said there is a stronger current to deal with there at times. Figured for the boys, the weaker current was better. They loved it!

This spring when we do the same cruise ports I think DH will dive both places but the boys will probably stick with GC.

Either place will be fun!

Cozumel is known for a steady current that allows operators to plan drift dives. That can require a diver to make a quick descent in open water with no reference line.

Cayman is known for deep wall diving, though newer divers can stay along the top edge of the drop off. There is rarely significant current in Cayman.

Both locations offer warm clear water.

Archived