inflatable pool for baby on deck??

samantham929

ok.. first off.. yes we are taking our 14 month son with us on our cruise... he is a part of our family and can't imagine vacationing without him... with that being said we have done A LOT of research about what he will and will not be able to do on board. one of the most creative ideas we have heard was using a single ring inflatable pool on the lido deck in the shade. the person had said they inflated the pool, and filled it with pool water using a "beer bucket" from the bar. when they were finished at the pool, they just dumped the water down the same drain they use to dispose of waste water every morning when they wash down the deck!! I though this was a brilliant idea!! what are yalls thoughts on this??

I'm a mother of four and we always bring our kids with us when we cruise. It's their favorite way to vacation and we agree. I think it's a good idea if you're in port and want to just hang on the beach, but don't want your small child in the sun all day. Just pull the little pool into the shade and dump a little water in it to keep your guy busy.

However, I think it's a bad idea for Lido. Lido is already packed. PACKED. If even 10 parents did this, they'd be chaos, especially if you are anywhere around the pool area. You may be able to do this WAY off on one of the higher decks pretty far away from everything, but the pool area isn't going to be your friend with a baby that small. They aren't allowed in the pools or hot tubs (obviously) and I doubt a blow up pool is going to fly with others on the Lido deck. You wouldn't want anyone stepping on the side, or possibly even tripping over it, and at the same time, the area is already so packed it would be tough to NOT step on or trip over it.

That's just my thoughts, but others may be able to think of way to do it. Actually, if you have a balcony and the pool was REALLY tiny, you may be able to play with him out there in it. I'm not sure it would fit there either unless you removed the chairs and small table. :confused:

Does a 14 month old really care about a pool? :confused:

I ask in all seriousness as someone who has traveled with an infant and toddler. This suggestion to bring a blow up pool has always baffled me. There's a million things to do on a ship that don't involve a pool. My child had no idea he was missing anything. Seems by putting a little pool next to the real pool, you are just rubbing it in his face: Ha ha, you can't go in the real pool!

As far as filling and dumping, I have no comment.

I would have to agree with Kristi on this one, the Lido deck would not be a good place to have a blow up pool as it can be very crowded and someone might trip over it or your child. I also believe I've heard that Carnival does not allow this but I don't know for a fact ~ I'm sure others will be able to answer if it's even allowed.

We used an inflatable pool on the Victory with our 14 month old dd 2 weeks ago and it was no problem at all and very easy to do.We filled it up using the showers by the pool and when we were done emptied it the way you suggest.

We had lots of positive comments from staff and positive passengers, I'm a little baffled by the negative responses you have received to this suggestion, in my oppinion there is plenty of room, we were never in anyones way and yes my 14 month old would have been very upset had she not been able to use a pool while on vacation.

C:\Documents and Settings\phil\My Documents\My Pictures\2013-09-03, carribean 2013 our holiday

Thanks for the areas of concern and story of success!! Needless to say we would be out of the way and I am talking about a pool that is about 2 feet wide.. We do have a balcony and I believe he would love to use it out there also! Thanks again for the responses!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I would bring the pool and use it in port at the beach. Lido is crowded. Maybe if you stayed on a port day it would work, but I personally don't see it being feasible during sea days. Nor would I put a kiddie pool out on a balcony. Now that's just me.

Either way, enjoy your family vacation!

ok.. first off.. yes we are taking our 14 month son with us on our cruise... he is a part of our family and can't imagine vacationing without him... with that being said we have done A LOT of research about what he will and will not be able to do on board. one of the most creative ideas we have heard was using a single ring inflatable pool on the lido deck in the shade. the person had said they inflated the pool, and filled it with pool water using a "beer bucket" from the bar. when they were finished at the pool, they just dumped the water down the same drain they use to dispose of waste water every morning when they wash down the deck!! I though this was a brilliant idea!! what are yalls thoughts on this??

Yep, we did this with no problem at all. We used it on deck 5 of the Dream and on our balcony. The small pool also doubles as bathtub that can fit in the shower. We purchased these at Target. Enjoy the cruise.

Most people bring a small, inflatable bathtub, like the inflatable duck tub. These are small and aren't as big as an inflatable pool. There is also a very small pool that some have been able to find but the duck seems more popular. Just try it out at home since some little ones have been afraid of the duck.

My children are all older now but I agree with you about making family vacation memories with your child. It would not bother me one iota for you to have a small pool for your baby, Lido or not. If it's the pool that I'm envisioning, it is very, very small. http://www.amazon.com/Infant-Baby-Inflatable-Wading-Pool/dp/B000QFPJN2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I would however fill it with the water from the pool shower and not the actual pool. Then, as you said, dump it down the drain.

Go have fun with your baby. That little pool will probably be the envy of other parent's that didn't think of doing the same thing.

:)

We did it two weeks ago on the Breeze for my 7 month old grandson. No problems at all. Asked bartender for a beer buck, told him I would return it at end of cruise, used the shower to fill pool, about 3 buckets full, used drain to empty it. My daughter found a shade cover that the pool sat in, so we didn't have to find a spot in the shade. Lots of small babies on this cruise. Stroller was a bit of challenge with waiting on elevators. Had a fabulous time.

A lot of people here do this successfully. Space will be fine as long as you don't plan to sit right by the pool. We brought one on our cruise last September and had no problem filling it up. My son was 18 months though & barely fit in it so wasn't interested. For a small baby it would work!

And yes, babies love to splash in the water.

I did this 5 years ago on a cruise. DD was 12 months old. It worked perfectly. We did NOT get in anyone's way and received a lot of positive comments. Look for an inflatable tub in the baby superstores or online. They are also usefull if you only have a shower in your cabin. Just put it in the shower, fill, and bathe. The tub weighs nothing and is small enough to not be in the way and large enough to make LO happy! Have a great cruise!vyhave9a.jpg

I guess all kids are different, but my first thought was that at 12-14 months, all of my kids were WAY too active to be content sitting in something that tiny. Of course, they also hated strollers, play pens, or anything confining... :eek:

I will be traveling with my husband, inlaws, parents and our 8 mo old daughter. I had the same q about the inflatable pool Samantha. Great question. I am going to bring it bc I need it to bathe her anyways. I think as long as you are no in the main thoroughfare, it will be fine.

Any other stroller, carrier advice you can give to a first time mom for how to make things easy for us on the cruise??? Thanks!

Archived