Statendam Changes

SilvertoGold

Back from two weeks to Alaska on the Statendam (north and south bounds).

Here are a few changes we noticed (for better or for worse, I am just reporting the changes from the same Alaska cruise on a different ship this year):

Dessert Extravangaza only on south bound.

No disembarkation talk on either.

Cooking classes were not offered on either.

No 4 star party in Explorer's Lounge before Mariner's Brunch. It was combined with the VIP party in the Crow's Nest both cruises. A tight fit and only a half hour total party.

Hot chocolate and lemonade on outside deck only on south bound.

Main Dining Room closed for lunch on all port days, instead of open for one of the three.

A great cruise. Anthony Choice is an excellent CD. Food was better than usual, service was outstanding.

Any questions, please ask.

Here are a few changes we noticed (for better or for worse, I am just reporting the changes from the same Alaska cruise on a different ship this year):

No 4 star party in Explorer's Lounge before Mariner's Brunch. It was combined with the VIP party in the Crow's Nest both cruises. A tight fit and only a half hour total party.

Main Dining Room closed for lunch on all port days, instead of open for one of the three.

A great cruise. Anthony Choice is an excellent CD. Food was better than usual, service was outstanding.

We have just departed the Maasdam (Boston to Montreal cruise).

We also didn't have the dessert extravaganza, but it was a 7 day cruise.

No disembarkation talk. MDH and I missed the " Love in any Language", but more staff other than dining showed up in the MD our last night to sing the farewell song in Indonesian.

Cooking classes were offered.

We also had a 4 & 5 star Marniers party that lasted about half an hour to 45 minutes.

There was no four and five star mariners get together before the marniers luncheon, but then there were few 4 or 5 star marniers aboard. My husband and I were seated at a special table for long time marniers. We are not sure how many days everyone had, but one couple was 800 days. We still haven't received our 500 day medallion as we are 80 days short.

Don't know about the MDR during port days as we went ashore.

Food in the MDR was excellent. It was so good that another CC member dining with us mentioned that we should say so on CC.

We don't worry about how long it takes to get service. After all approximately 900 of the passengers are eating early. We had a waiter that we knew from a previous cruise and we knew that he was working as hard and as fast as he could. Only one night was our main entree slightly delayed and that was when we all had a turkey dinner. I suspect that they had more turkey dinner requests than they expected. Otherwise service was excellent.

We even had fresh Maine Lobster on our last formal night.

It was an excellent cruise. Loved the new "On Location" touches. And the entertainment was good especially the singers and dancers of the Maasdam. If anyone is on a Maasdam cruise with Michael Harvey and he does a cooking demonstration, be sure to attend. One of the best cooking demos we have attended.

Edited by Storylady

HMM -- that is suppose to be one of the free perks for 5 Star Mariners.

HMM -- that is suppose to be one of the free perks for 5 Star Mariners.

That's right, KK.

With a lot of newbies and one stars who might not be too aware of the usual offering of classes and no advertising in the daily program for the cooking classes, I can't see how the ship thought anyone would sign up.

We have just departed the Maasdam (Boston to Montreal cruise).

We also didn't have the dessert extravaganza, but it was a 7 day cruise.

No disembarkation talk. MDH and I missed the " Love in any Language", but more staff other than dining showed up in the MD our last night to sing the farewell song in Indonesian.

Cooking classes were offered.

We also had a 4 & 5 star Marniers party that lasted about half an hour to 45 minutes.

There was no four and five star mariners get together before the marniers luncheon, but then there were few 4 or 5 star marniers aboard. My husband and I were seated at a special table for long time marniers. We are not sure how many days everyone had, but one couple was 800 days. We still haven't received our 500 day medallion as we are 80 days short.

Don't know about the MDR during port days as we went ashore.

Food in the MDR was excellent. It was so good that another CC member dining with us mentioned that we should say so on CC.

We don't worry about how long it takes to get service. After all approximately 900 of the passengers are eating early. We had a waiter that we knew from a previous cruise and we knew that he was working as hard and as fast as he could. Only one night was our main entree slightly delayed and that was when we all had a turkey dinner. I suspect that they had more turkey dinner requests than they expected. Otherwise service was excellent.

We even had fresh Maine Lobster on our last formal night.

It was an excellent cruise. Loved the new "On Location" touches. And the entertainment was good especially the singers and dancers of the Maasdam. If anyone is on a Maasdam cruise with Michael Harvey and he does a cooking demonstration, be sure to attend. One of the best cooking demos we have attended.

Sharon

Glad you had a good time on the Massdam. Interesting comparsion of the 7 day Alaska on the Statendam and your 7 day cruise on the Maasdam.

Looks as if HAL is changing some of the logistics for the 7 day cruises: so difficult to fit everything into that short timeline.

I thought combining the VIP party with the regular pre- Mariner's Brunch get together for 4/5 stars was a time-saving idea, although it is a lot nicer to have both! There were quite a few pax at both the north and south bound parties.

Are you planning to post any photos on the HALBlog? Love your trip diaries!

Well it should be interesting, if they do any of those things missing on your cruise on our 30 day cruise. I guess I should expected nothing and then I won't be disappointed.

They did not have an awards ceremony before the mariners lunch, do I have that right, it was tied to the VIP party, wow, that is so interesting. When we were on the Zuiderdam 7 day Alaska cruise they had both, mariners awards before the lunch and the VIP party, which we were not invited to either.

As KK said "I have a feeling that the few 5 star Mariner perks won't be found on the 7 day cruises.

And HAL won't care."

and she may be right. What a shame that will be, as there will be no point in being a 5 'star' mariner, in my opinion also.

On a positive note, glad to hear the service was outstanding.

Well it should be interesting, if they do any of those things missing on your cruise on our 30 day cruise. I guess I should expected nothing and then I won't be disappointed.

They did not have an awards ceremony before the mariners lunch, do I have that right, it was tied to the VIP party, wow, that is so interesting. When we were on the Zuiderdam 7 day Alaska cruise they had both, mariners awards before the lunch and the VIP party, which we were not invited to either.

As KK said "I have a feeling that the few 5 star Mariner perks won't be found on the 7 day cruises.

And HAL won't care."

and she may be right. What a shame that will be, as there will be no point in being a 5 'star' mariner, in my opinion also.

On our cruise the 4 and 5 star party was held at 7:30 PM.

We had only one sea day on our cruise and that was the day of the Marniers Luncheon. There were two Marniers Luncheons. One at 12 and ours was at 1 PM. All the 4 and 5 star Marniers were at the second luncheon as we had friends that attended the second luncheon.

No Medallions were awarded. If there were medallions awarded they would have been 100 day and probably handed out at the first luncheon.

Each ship does the medal ceremony different. We have had medallions handed out in the Explorer's Lounge, in the Showroom at Sea and in MDR.

We were invited to attend the Hands on Cooking Class, but it was held the day we were touring PEI so we declined. I have participated in the Hands on Cooking Class on the Zaandam.

I can remember when the extra cocktail party was called the VIP party. Supposedly it was for important people as well as people with high number days.

The last few years we have not been invited to that party even though we were among those people with the high number days.

Once again -- different rules on different ships.

And HAL won't care."

Hi, Melodie

So, you are going back to Tahiti!

We were going to do it again, too, but the Statendam cannot compare to the Westerdam, and I know we would not enjoy the cruise as much. We could not believe how much better the new tenders on the Westerdam were! This is important to us with all the tender ports on this cruise.

I am pretty sure you will have all the regular events on this 30 day cruise. They have so many at sea days to fill, I have no doubt they will offer the cooking classes and have a separate VIP and 4/5 star parties: there are usually quite a few high Mariners on this cruise.

The invitation to the VIP party was done exactly the same as usual, so it was a surprise when it turned into the pre-Mariners Brunch with medallions handed out and the high Mariners introduced.

The service was excellent and the food better thatn on a few past cruises. I wasn't too enthralled by the Front Office staff, but everyone else was fantastic. I hope that Anthony Choice is back by November, as he is a big plus on this ship.

I can remember when the extra cocktail party was called the VIP party. Supposedly it was for important people as well as people with high number days.

The last few years we have not been invited to that party even though we were among those people with the high number days.

Once again -- different rules on different ships.

Well I guess we have now joined your ranks even though we're not close to the number of days you or Sails have. Don't feel bad KK, we were the only 5 'stars' on board our last cruise and we weren't invited to anything either. Personally I think that hast to do with the staff on board not doing their jobs. I will tell you I did complain to the concierges (nicely) and they seem very indifferent about it. I will say their attitudes did surprise me.

Hi, Melodie

So, you are going back to Tahiti!

We were going to do it again, too, but the Statendam cannot compare to the Westerdam, and I know we would not enjoy the cruise as much. We could not believe how much better the new tenders on the Westerdam were! This is important to us with all the tender ports on this cruise.

I am pretty sure you will have all the regular events on this 30 day cruise. They have so many at sea days to fill, I have no doubt they will offer the cooking classes and have a separate VIP and 4/5 star parties: there are usually quite a few high Mariners on this cruise.

The invitation to the VIP party was done exactly the same as usual, so it was a surprise when it turned into the pre-Mariners Brunch with medallions handed out and the high Mariners introduced.

The service was excellent and the food better thatn on a few past cruises. I wasn't too enthralled by the Front Office staff, but everyone else was fantastic. I hope that Anthony Choice is back by November, as he is a big plus on this ship.

I wish we were doing the Tahiti cruise again but no we are doing SA. Should be interesting and yes I agree after doing Tahiti on the Westerdam that would be hard to beat.

I can understand what a surprise that would be to have the awards handed out at the VIP or 4/5 'star' party. Personally we have never been to a 4/5 'star' party, sounds interesting, only been to a VIP party or the mariners awards presentation in the explorer lounge. Seems strange to me and I don't think I like the idea but who am I.

I'm am glad to hear the food was good and the service. Who was your Captain?

Well I guess we have now joined your ranks even though we're not close to the number of days you or Sails have. Don't feel bad KK, we were the only 5 'stars' on board our last cruise and we weren't invited to anything either. Personally I think that hast to do with the staff on board not doing their jobs. I will tell you I did complain to the concierges (nicely) and they seem very indifferent about it. I will say their attitudes did surprise me.

I wish we were doing the Tahiti cruise again but no we are doing SA. Should be interesting and yes I agree after doing Tahiti on the Westerdam that would be hard to beat.

I can understand what a surprise that would be to have the awards handed out at the VIP or 4/5 'star' party. Personally we have never been to a 4/5 'star' party, sounds interesting, only been to a VIP party or the mariners awards presentation in the explorer lounge. Seems strange to me and I don't think I like the idea but who am I.

I'm am glad to hear the food was good and the service. Who was your Captain?

Ooops! Right, the Incan cruise, not the Tahiti,

We had Captain Schoonderbeek, and he will be on until December, I believe. Anthony Choice was the CD. He is on for two weeks now, then off. Hope for your sake he will be back on the Statendam by October/November. Really a sincere person.

Your description of "the staff not doing their jobs" sound a bit like what we experienced on the Statendam: I didn't get the impression they much liked the idea of 5 stars, possibly because there were only two on board. However we did get invited to everything we expected to (from past experience) except the cooking class.

Edited by SilvertoGold

Ooops! Right, the Incan cruise, not the Tahiti,

We had Captain Schoonderbeek, and he will be on until December, I believe. Anthony Choice was the CD. He is on for two weeks now, then off. Hope for your sake he will be back on the Statendam by October/November. Really a sincere person.

Your description of "the staff not doing their jobs" sound a bit like what we experienced on the Statendam: I didn't get the impression they much liked the idea of 5 stars, possibly because there were only two on board. However we did get invited to everything we expected to (from past experience) except the cooking class.

Very interesting statement SilvertoGold. I know when I mention on another thread that I really wanted to go back to 4 'stars', Sails could not believe I said that, but like I said after our treatment, I had second thoughts about this 5 'star' stuff.

This should be an interesting cruise as I am sure there will be tons of 4 and 5 'stars' on board, there usually are on these longer cruises.

Thanks, I think Captain Schoonderbeek will be doing our cruise, too. I believe we have never sailed with him before. Don't know about the CD, I think Copper said it would be Linda Minnikin.

Very interesting statement SilvertoGold. I know when I mention on another thread that I really wanted to go back to 4 'stars', Sails could not believe I said that, but like I said after our treatment, I had second thoughts about this 5 'star' stuff.

This should be an interesting cruise as I am sure there will be tons of 4 and 5 'stars' on board, there usually are on these longer cruises.

Thanks, I think Captain Schoonderbeek will be doing our cruise, too. I believe we have never sailed with him before. Don't know about the CD, I think Copper said it would beLinda Minnikin.

I have thought for quite a while now that the Star program has backfired somewhat.

To deliver on the rewards is to make extra work for the staff in some ways: accounting for all the discounts and getting them right on the pax's statements (not always successfully); not charging for the free Pinnacle dinners, the free spa day, the free cooking class; imputting the 50% off the internet package, sending out invitations to the cooking class; sending nice notes about the free laundry and how the priority tendering works.

All this makes extra work. On a short cruise, I can see why the staff might want to ignore some items, as it can be quite a trial to fit it all in.

I wonder if that is the reason you were't invited to anything on your last cruise?

I have thought for quite a while now that the Star program has backfired somewhat.

To deliver on the rewards is to make extra work for the staff in some ways: accounting for all the discounts and getting them right on the pax's statements (not always successfully); not charging for the free Pinnacle dinners, the free spa day, the free cooking class; imputting the 50% off the internet package, sending out invitations to the cooking class; sending nice notes about the free laundry and how the priority tendering works.

All this makes extra work. On a short cruise, I can see why the staff might want to ignore some items, as it can be quite a trial to fit it all in.

I wonder if that is the reason you were't invited to anything on your last cruise?

Another interesting thought and I might agree with you except we knew someone on this cruise that was 4 'star' and she and her DH got invited to the awards ceremony and no they weren't getting an award. I wish I could figure it out. I know some cc members don't care about these things but we enjoy going to them. To us it is part of the whole package but I have to agree with you about the trouble they have to go thru on these short 7 day cruises for the high number mariners. It may just be to much, as you stated it may have back fired on the individual ships staff.

Another interesting thought and I might agree with you except we knew someone on this cruise that was 4 'star' and she and her DH got invited to the awards ceremony and no they weren't getting an award. I wish I could figure it out. I know some cc members don't care about these things but we enjoy going to them. To us it is part of the whole package but I have to agree with you about the trouble they have to go thru on these short 7 day cruises for the high number mariners. It may just be to much, as you stated it may have back fired on the individual ships staff.

We also like attending all the "events". Fortunately we have had little trouble with invitations, only missing a couple of Mariner Brunches on Collector's cruises (one instead of two).

Truly hope all goes well for you as a 5 star on the Statendam. Wll be looking forward to hearing about it. By the way, there is at least one other 5 star couple on this cruise, so they can't ignore four of you!

We also like attending all the "events". Fortunately we have had little trouble with invitations, only missing a couple of Mariner Brunches on Collector's cruises (one instead of two).

Truly hope all goes well for you as a 5 star on the Statendam. Wll be looking forward to hearing about it. By the way, there is at least one other 5 star couple on this cruise, so they can't ignore four of you!

Thanks SilvertoGold for your nice wishes. I'm sure there will be more then 4 of us and I'm going with a postive attitude that it will be a good cruise.

Question - Are all btb cruise now considered collector cruises?

Sharon

Glad you had a good time on the Massdam. Interesting comparsion of the 7 day Alaska on the Statendam and your 7 day cruise on the Maasdam.

Looks as if HAL is changing some of the logistics for the 7 day cruises: so difficult to fit everything into that short timeline.

I thought combining the VIP party with the regular pre- Mariner's Brunch get together for 4/5 stars was a time-saving idea, although it is a lot nicer to have both! There were quite a few pax at both the north and south bound parties.

Are you planning to post any photos on the HALBlog? Love your trip diaries!

Thanks! Yes, I am. HAL Blog is doing a special week on New England/Canada - September 23.

Thanks SilvertoGold for your nice wishes. I'm sure there will be more then 4 of us and I'm going with a postive attitude that it will be a good cruise.

Question - Are all btb cruise now considered collector cruises?

Interesting and complicated question, Melodie.

We did cruise #1, a "Collectors" with one booking number; later we did cruise #2, a "back-to-back" with two booking numbers.

They were both called "Collector's" on the ship. We got invited to two VIP parties, two Mariner's Brunches on both cruise #1 and cruise #2.

However, on cruise #2 the ship considered that we should receive only two per person 5 star Pinnacle Dinners, one 5 star spa day per person, etc.

That is what we got on cruise #1 with one booking number.

So, who knows what Seattle intends and what each individual ship does?

Interesting and complicated question, Melodie.

We did cruise #1, a "Collectors" with one booking number; later we did cruise #2, a "back-to-back" with two booking numbers.

They were both called "Collector's" on the ship. We got invited to two VIP parties, two Mariner's Brunches on both cruise #1 and cruise #2.

However, on cruise #2 the ship considered that we should receive only two per person 5 star Pinnacle Dinners, one 5 star spa day per person, etc.

That is what we got on cruise #1 with one booking number.

So, who knows what Seattle intends and what each individual ship does?

Yeah, I'm thinking they call all of them collector cruises now, whether they are under one booking number or not. Thanks for all your help SilvertoGold.

• 4 months later...