Sun vs Gem

jennyprovo

We are trying to decide between 9 Day Gem or 10 Day Sun both late Feb 2014. We have to fly for both so that does not matter. We have been on the Gem and loved it. We usually get spa passes but it appears that is not an option on the Sun?

Two ports are the same St. Martin and St. Thomas been to both. Gem has DR and PR stops. Sun St. Lucia, Dominica, and Barbados....we haven't been to any of those 5.

So ship and port comparisons are what we are looking for.

Thanks,

Jen(s)

I haven't been on the Sun, but based on what you posted, that's where I would book because of the better itinerary. We're booked on the 9-day Gem and frankly I haven't heard a decent word about Samana...seriously thinking about just staying on board. On the Sun however, hey it's an extra day, leaves from a sunny climate, and goes to Barbados...one of our favorite stops.

We were just on the Sun last month and loved it. But, you're right, spa passes aren't an option. The spa is more just treatment rooms for various things.

I haven't been on a cruise in the Caribbean, however, I have been to Puerto Rico and seen the cruise passengers in Old San Juan. From what I saw, they don't really spend enough time to really see the beauty of the island since there is so much more than just Old San Juan and the nearby beaches to see. Personally, I'd go for the Sun and all the extra ports you haven't been to and maybe take a separate trip someday to PR when you can do more than just a day stop as part of a cruise.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Have sailed both and would gladly sail either again. Like the PPers if the price is the same, I would pick sun for the extra day and the new ports. The probably would turn to a definitely if either of the deck 11 forward facing balconies were available or if I was sailing inside I would also pick Sun if I could swing one of the deluxe insides on deck 8 that have the full size sofa.

Either way you will have a great time I am sure!

Have been on both. Sun was our first cruise on NCL, we did the Gem for a two week Med. Cruise departing from Venice.

Ships are not alike at all. Enjoyed both and now have a Feb 2014 booked on the Sun. The Sun prices are more affordable (11 night) than other cruises with similiar itineraries. The Sun is smaller and has had some "redo" since 2006 which I read about. The Gem is "a sister ship" to the Pearl and Jewell. Looking forward to a look back on the Sun again.

Have Jewell sailing in 2 weeks. I remember the Sun was different is getting from point A to point B- took a day or so to figure out most direct routes and thought it strange to walk by the uncovered pool area to get to the buffet (especially in the rain). Maybe we did not figure out the alternate route!! ENJOY

Ports on Sun are so much better. And remember leaving from NY in Feb you probably lose a day going and coming due toi cold weather. In DR we do not get off the ship and PR you dont get in until 3pm so limits your options there

Thanks again CC friends. We booked the Sun this morning.

I think you'll be happy with your choice. We've sailed the Sun (loved her) and are sailing the Gem in November. For me the debate would be about the ports and the warmth. If you are flying either way, I agree that the Sun offers the superior itinerary. Just go into it knowing that it will be a different experience and let the Sun charm you in her own unique way.

Enjoy your adventure!

• 1 month later...
Ports on Sun are so much better. And remember leaving from NY in Feb you probably lose a day going and coming due toi cold weather. In DR we do not get off the ship and PR you dont get in until 3pm so limits your options there

This is why chose the Sun. I live in NY and leaving in July was great, but I the winter I want to leave from somewhere warm and have more warm days at sea.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived