Porthole cabins a DOWNgrade?

misty miller

I just called the number to my online cruise-booking website and the rep informed me that I cannot change my measley 4A category inside stateroom to a PT cabin because it would be a downgrade!? Why is this? Does anyone think I might have a chance to do so if I called Carnival directly? I booked one last December on the Paradise and loooved it! Say it ain't so.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Forums mobile app

If you booked through a third-party/TA than they have to deal directly with Carnival and you're unable to make direct contact. It is one of the trade-offs of using a "online cruise-booking website".

Carnival categorizes a PT to be below a 4A and so depending on what rate type you booked and how close to final payment you are, you won't be able to downgrade.

The ascending list of Fantasy class cabin categories is...

1A (Upper/Lowers)

PT (Porthole)

4A-4I (Interiors)

6A-6E (Oceanview)

OB (Obstructed View Suite)

OS (Ocean Suite)

GS (Grandsuite)

PH (Owner's Suite)

I just called the number to my online cruise-booking website and the rep informed me that I cannot change my measley 4A category inside stateroom to a PT cabin because it would be a downgrade!? Why is this?

Location, definitely location. PT (porthole) cabins are in the far forward part of the ship. That means heavy motion and noise from bow thrusters. I stayed in a PT cabin on both of my cruise cruises, so I'm speaking from experience. Now, neither bothered me: the noise acted as a fun alarm clock, and the motion of the ship had me asleep in minutes.

But based on what I read on this site, most people don't like the motion or the noise. Hence, PT's get classified as "worse" than insides despite the natural light they offer. All because of their forward location. Insides, on the other hand, could also be midship or aft, the more desired parts of the ship.

They used to be classified as a higher category than insides, but still below OVs, but they had a hard time booking them at that price. So for a short time in 2009, they had them intermixed as the same category as their neighboring interiors (a Riviera deck porthole room would be a 4A, Main deck would be a 4B). That made the most sense, but it confused people, so they just stuck all portholes below standard interiors. It does make it difficult on people in your situation.

If you are before final payment and not booked Early Saver, you should be able to at least cancel your cruise, then book another one with the porthole room. If you are forced to pay a new deposit, the old deposit would be fully refunded. But if you are passed final payment and/or booked Early Saver, you're out of luck. That's just the way they have it structured, even though it doesn't make sense. Porthole rooms are significantly better than standard interiors, especially on the larger ships.

I just called the number to my online cruise-booking website and the rep informed me that I cannot change my measley 4A category inside stateroom to a PT cabin because it would be a downgrade!? Why is this? Does anyone think I might have a chance to do so if I called Carnival directly? I booked one last December on the Paradise and loooved it! Say it ain't so.

Let's start by you giving us a date of the cruise. That might give readers a clue on how to answer.

Let's start by you giving us a date of the cruise. That might give readers a clue on how to answer.

Im thinking the date probably doesnt matter. We are all giving OP reasons why they may have been told what they were (me too) and now that I reread it she wants to know if she tries to bypass her TA and call Carnival direct will it help.

Nope.

Things arent looking good for me then, even if I put on my friendliest Nebraska charm with the carnival agent. *sigh* I don't believe that I can rebook without a penalty, as I took advantage of their "no deposit" scenario with a $25 fee that deffered that payment til later. Thanks anyway, everyone. Though I may be SOL, I will no doubt have a wonderful time:)

Im thinking the date probably doesnt matter. We are all giving OP reasons why they may have been told what they were (me too) and now that I reread it she wants to know if she tries to bypass her TA and call Carnival direct will it help.

Nope.

And I'm thinking it might. Is the OP way before due payment? If so, why not cancel and rebook.

So, I read every post and I am still confused.

Did the OP book ES?

I booked military rate in a 4A. A porthole room right across the hall became available and it is 220 sq ft with a couch so I decided to switch to the porthole. I called the TA and they switched the room. I kept the same booking number and everything. I did not have to cancel and rebook. This was before final payment and I did it just a few weeks ago.

I did not realize I was downgrading and was never told that it was but wanted to try the porthole room with the couch. I have read some really good reviews on the Conquest porthole rooms with a couch.

I actually just changed from an interior (4A) room to a PT room yesterday on a Fantasy class ship and didn't have an issue at all.

I did book directly with Carnival and final payment has already been made. The rooms were the also same price.. so maybe that is what helped.

I wonder if the OP's issue does have something to do with the rate that the room was booked under...

Im thinking the date probably doesnt matter.

The date of the cruise and the rate the OP booked are both extremely relevant info. If they booked a cancellable rate, and it's still before final payment, then downgrades should be allowed. If not, as RuthlessBoss said, just cancel and re-book it. Of course whatever TA they used is relevant too, as they may have their own penalties.

And I'm thinking it might. Is the OP way before due payment? If so, why not cancel and rebook.

My cruise isn't til April '14, and our final payment is Feb. Maybe I'll try again with crossed fingers! Portholes are so much more fun. Rebooking might cost $50, which wouldn't be worth it, though. Thanks everyone, I'll be sure to let y'all know what happens.

The date of the cruise and the rate the OP booked are both extremely relevant info. If they booked a cancellable rate, and it's still before final payment, then downgrades should be allowed. If not, as RuthlessBoss said, just cancel and re-book it. Of course whatever TA they used is relevant too, as they may have their own penalties.

Maybe you missed my earlier post asking the OP what rate they booked and if it was ES. We know the date since the OP told us now

Preaching to the choir as they say.

ES was the only relevant rate I could think of. Pack n go for instead is also not changeable, but the date is too far out to be pack n go etc. Thats why I asked if they specifically booked ES.

I just switched from a 6a to a PT cabin on a the Sunshine bloggers cruise and I am booked ES. Did it to save some money and had no problem doing it

wow, good they let you. I once gave up my porthole because my bil claimed he was coming so I upgraded to a triple, then he cancelled. I did finally downgrade, but went to the vice president level to be allowed and back then the no downgrade rule wasnt in writing was my argument.

Archived