11.6K People in Port...Will It Be Crowded?

polySeraph

I noticed on another cruise website that a total of 5 ships (including mine) with up to 11,637 people are scheduled to call on Belize when my ship is there next January. I've been to Belize once before several years ago and I remember the port area as being fairly small. Can someone who's been there when there have been that many ships in port describe what it's like? Is it crowded? What's the tendering like? Would it be better to stay aboard the ship that day? Should I stick to the ship's excursions or will the private tour providers be able to handle the increased crowds?

Thanks!

I see the same schedule for 1-8-14. 5 ships. But 2 of those are NCL, so I'd venture that NCL excursions could be crowded. Some private vendors will limit their numbers, so book early. If I had to guess, any Mayan ruin venue (except possibly Lamanai) and the cave tubing venue will be crowded. Snorkeling to smaller private cayes like Bannister Island or Goeff's Caye or Sergeants Caye could get filled quickly.

If you've been to Belize before, staying on the boat is an option. Or wait until mid morning (10 or 10:30) or early afternoon (1:30 or 2PM) then take a tender in most of the tours leaving will be gone nor not yet returned and you might find it somewhat less crowded along the dock and shops. In the afternoon, there'll be less hawkers just outside the gates but the flea market will still be open. Wet Lizard might be a bit less crowded too.

I noticed on another cruise website that a total of 5 ships (including mine) with up to 11,637 people are scheduled to call on Belize when my ship is there next January. I've been to Belize once before several years ago and I remember the port area as being fairly small. Can someone who's been there when there have been that many ships in port describe what it's like? Is it crowded? What's the tendering like? Would it be better to stay aboard the ship that day? Should I stick to the ship's excursions or will the private tour providers be able to handle the increased crowds?

Thanks!

Poly....what website are you looking at with the information on the ships in port? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Archived