Tipping...your thoughts but be nice!

msstarr22

I have always just went with the tips Carnival has put on my S&S account. I tip my cabin person extra if they go they extra mile and 99% of the time they do. I get YTD so I rarely have the same waitstaff. My question is who else am I tipping. Am I tipping all the bar persons I never go to? Am I tipping others I do not even see?

I am sure that other inquiring minds would love to know!;)

I leave the auto tips on and have always tipped my room stewart, asst room steward and head and asst waiter more. They have always done an outstanding job and I'm very appreciative. But I always tip at least 20% when going to a restaurant at home unless I get bad service.

I have always just went with the tips Carnival has put on my S&S account. I tip my cabin person extra if they go they extra mile and 99% of the time they do. I get YTD so I rarely have the same waitstaff. My question is who else am I tipping. Am I tipping all the bar persons I never go to? Am I tipping others I do not even see?

When you go to the buffet, the staff is also the same wait staff for the dining rooms. Also, at tea time as well. So you really do see them.

MARAPRINCE

If you leave the tips on, $2 per person per day are being taken from you to help Carnival pay the salaries of people you will probably never meet. These people will still get paid whether you leave it on or not.

Bartender tips are separate, and only charged if you purchase liquids.

If you leave the tips on, $2 per person per day are being taken from you to help Carnival pay the salaries of people you will probably never meet. These people will still get paid whether you leave it on or not.

Bartender tips are separate, and only charged if you purchase liquids.

Do you have proof of this, or is it just something you know ???????

As the other folks have said these pay for the others who provide services for you and all passengers. Such a small amounts for the great service they provide you with.

Do you have proof of this, or is it just something you know ???????

lmao, yes its in the FAQs. It used to be more specific who the $2 a day goes to and people were yelling hey it could go to laundry people and people on salary, not just buffet workers .. and I think it says something less specific now.

but it does say $2 a day goes to other staff in the FAQs.

I leave on the tips myself. )

Here's a breakdown of how our tips are distributed:

$ 3.70 USD - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 USD - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 USD - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

We take second sitting in the MDR. Can't count the time we go up for breakfast in the buffet area and one of our wait staff is up there and recognizes us!

Do you eat pizza or get a hamburger or hot dog?

You may not realize it, but you do see and receive services from many people on board who share in the tip you leave at the end of the sailing.

MARAPRINCE

I leave the auto tips on and have always tipped my room stewart, asst room steward and head and asst waiter more. They have always done an outstanding job and I'm very appreciative. But I always tip at least 20% when going to a restaurant at home unless I get bad service.

Ditto. I actually had to scroll up to see if my name was on this post.

I think your title is an oxymoron. ;0

This is the same tired soap box that this poster is always on.:cool:

OP -- If you will check on the Carnival website it clearly delineates how the daily tip is apportioned:

$ 2.00 USD - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services,other hotel staff members.

This is the same tired soap box that this poster is always on.:cool:

OP -- If you will check on the Carnival website it clearly delineates how the daily tip is apportioned:

$ 2.00 USD - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services,other hotel staff members.

That is clear to you?

Is guest services a tipped position? Entertainment too? Who are other hotel staff members?

I was fine with the dollar going to buffet workers. I am not ok with it going to the non never been a tipped position people.

You can say it is only a buck a day, but would you be fine if someone robbed you but only took a dollar from you?

That is clear to you?

Is guest services a tipped position? Entertainment too? Who are other hotel staff members?

I was fine with the dollar going to buffet workers. I am not ok with it going to the non never been a tipped position people.

You can say it is only a buck a day, but would you be fine if someone robbed you but only took a dollar from you?

Oh for cripes sake -- a bit dramatic, wouldn't you say?:rolleyes:

...and I've never seen harder working people in my life. Week in and week out - no days off for months. Long days, demanding guests, demanding bosses - when you look, you can see fatigue behind the smiles. I would have tipped them all twice as much as auto tip if I could have afforded it - if the people behind the scenes work as hard as the people I came into direct contact with - they deserve every penny no matter what they do.

I cannot for the life of me understand anyone who wants to begrudge anyone on a ship a livelihood just because they can. And those who want to personally hand over the tips and feel like the "big man or woman", all about power, not about money or service.

Carnival has created a seamless, simple and fair way for guests to provide tips - in my opinion it is a win-win. But some people don't feel like they have won unless someone else has lost, I guess.

lmao, yes its in the FAQs. It used to be more specific who the $2 a day goes to and people were yelling hey it could go to laundry people and people on salary, not just buffet workers .. and I think it says something less specific now.

but it does say $2 a day goes to other staff in the FAQs.

I leave on the tips myself. )

You removed the most important part of the quote "to help Carnival pay the salaries of people ". I believe that it is a gratuity and paid as such, not part of their salaries.

If you have cruised you already know the breakdown of payments as Lovefuninthesun has provided. Just a subtle question.......

That is clear to you?

I asked the hot dog guy the hamburger guy and the pizza guy on my cruise in June. They are salary. They never get tips. Only the guys that work in the dining room, who also work in the bistro. Everyone else contracts for a salary, which they can increase through odd jobs.

The omelet guy said once in a while some tip hm directly.

...and I've never seen harder working people in my life. Week in and week out - no days off for months. Long days, demanding guests, demanding bosses - when you look, you can see fatigue behind the smiles. I would have tipped them all twice as much as auto tip if I could have afforded it - if the people behind the scenes work as hard as the people I came into direct contact with - they deserve every penny no matter what they do.

I cannot for the life of me understand anyone who wants to begrudge anyone on a ship a livelihood just because they can. And those who want to personally hand over the tips and feel like the "big man or woman", all about power, not about money or service.

Carnival has created a seamless, simple and fair way for guests to provide tips - in my opinion it is a win-win. But some people don't feel like they have won unless someone else has lost, I guess.

You can tip them anyway you see fit. You can adopt them and their families for all I care. I only tip for service received, not because I feel sorry for a choice they have made.

My son worked 96 hours last week, (2 48 hr shifts), he will work 96 hours this week, and the next and the next and the next. He makes $8 an hour and got 2 hours of sleep last night. He is one of those guys you call when you get sick or do something stupid at 2am.

Folding a towel, filling an ice bucket or makeing a bed is not hard work. Dragging a 300 pound man down a gravel driveway while doing cpr is hard work. Wading chest deep in a drainage ditch so you can get to the upside down car on the other side at 5:30 in the morning is hard work.

For the life of me I can't understand why people thnk ship service people work so hard.

You can tip them anyway you see fit. You can adopt them and their families for all I care. I only tip for service received, not because I feel sorry for a choice they have made.

My son worked 96 hours last week, (2 48 hr shifts), he will work 96 hours this week, and the next and the next and the next. He makes $8 an hour and got 2 hours of sleep last night. He is one of those guys you call when you get sick or do something stupid at 2am.

Folding a towel, filling an ice bucket or makeing a bed is not hard work. Dragging a 300 pound man down a gravel driveway while doing cpr is hard work. Wading chest deep in a drainage ditch so you can get to the upside down car on the other side at 5:30 in the morning is hard work.

For the life of me I can't understand why people thnk ship service people work so hard.

I got to wonder why there's no unions for housekeepers and restaurant waiters. Or is there?

I bet your son gets overtime pay and I think some people make any kind of excuse to get out of tips.:eek:

....I'd totally tip your son if I could. But what a wonderful excuse for not tipping others, (rolling my eyes).

In general, (not to anyone in particular who is participating in this thread), I think probably the worst guests are those who wield very little power in their regular life and then come on a cruise ship and act like Lords of the Manor - I imagine the experienced staff have seen it all before and will see it all again.

Archived