Tipping...your thoughts but be nice!

msstarr22

....i'd totally tip your son if i could. But what a wonderful excuse for not tipping others, (rolling my eyes).

In general, (not to anyone in particular who is participating in this thread), i think probably the worst guests are those who wield very little power in their regular life and then come on a cruise ship and act like lords of the manor - i imagine the experienced staff have seen it all before and will see it all again.

love this!:D

....I'd totally tip your son if I could. But what a wonderful excuse for not tipping others, (rolling my eyes).

In general, (not to anyone in particular who is participating in this thread), I think probably the worst guests are those who wield very little power in their regular life and then come on a cruise ship and act like Lords of the Manor - I imagine the experienced staff have seen it all before and will see it all again.

Yep. Seen a few of these types. Sad, really:(

$ 3.70 USD - Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.80 USD - Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 2.00 USD - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

I would love to determine how the cruise industry decided these were equitable rates for "tips". When you stay in a hotel or a resort do you tip the person that makes up your room $14.80 a day? (if four people stay in the room it would be $3.70 x4=$14.80) I believe unless there is a mess or a request for additional service the standard tip would be $3-5 a day for an upscale hotel and $1-$2 a day for a standard hotel room.

I would also like to know who the alternate service employees are? Busboys, dishwashers, cooks? Hotel manager? Laundry service? Singers, dancers? Not people that are normally directly tipped.

The place I think they are shorting staff is the servers. $5.80 a day seems to be low to me. My last cruise I left on autotips and added more to the servers and the Maitre-D for the service provided to my family. I had little to no interaction with my cabin steward but to waste the time to remove $2.40 ($3.70 x 2 minus normal hotel tip of $5) a day seemed silly when I could be enjoying my cruise and not stressing over $15.

Still wonder what the $2 a day for alternate services paid for but again why spend an hour waiting in line on my vacation to remove $28 off my bill.

$ 2.00 USD - Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to kitchen, entertainment, guest services and other hotel staff members.

I would love to determine how the cruise industry decided these were equitable rates for "tips". When you stay in a hotel or a resort do you tip the person that makes up your room $14.80 a day? (if four people stay in the room it would be $3.70 x4=$14.80) I believe unless there is a mess or a request for additional service the standard tip would be $3-5 a day for an upscale hotel and $1-$2 a day for a standard hotel room.

I would also like to know who the alternate service employees are? Busboys, dishwashers, cooks? Hotel manager? Laundry service? Singers, dancers? Not people that are normally directly tipped.

The place I think they are shorting staff is the servers. $5.80 a day seems to be low to me. My last cruise I left on autotips and added more to the servers and the Maitre-D for the service provided to my family. I had little to no interaction with my cabin steward but to waste the time to remove $2.40 ($3.70 x 2 minus normal hotel tip of $5) a day seemed silly when I could be enjoying my cruise and not stressing over $15.

Still wonder what the $2 a day for alternate services paid for but again why spend an hour waiting in line on my vacation to remove $28 off my bill.

These are all per day, per person - so it does add up. I'm totally fine with these numbers. As I said earlier, it's not just the people we have direct contact with who make your cruise special. Lots of things go on behind the scenes too.

Personally, I don't give a rat's bottom who the auto tips go to. I'm on vacation, I pre pay the tips and forget about it. Whatever I can do to make my vacation more enjoyable, I do (and obsessing about who gets what, spending time splitting hairs, and chasing staff around the ship to tip in cash or remove tips, does NOT make my vacation more enjoyable).

That's just it. Think your dining room staff is underpaid? Give them that $2 per person per day. It's your tips. Make sure your tip money goes to the people YOU want it to go to.

I have always just went with the tips Carnival has put on my S&S account. I tip my cabin person extra if they go they extra mile and 99% of the time they do. I get YTD so I rarely have the same waitstaff. My question is who else am I tipping. Am I tipping all the bar persons I never go to? Am I tipping others I do not even see?

I am sure that other inquiring minds would love to know!;)

Just so you understand I had no plans of removing the tip I was interested in who else got tipped and by how much. Wow talk about lighting a fire...:eek:

These are all per day, per person - so it does add up. I'm totally fine with these numbers. As I said earlier, it's not just the people we have direct contact with who make your cruise special. Lots of things go on behind the scenes too.

Therein lies the problem. Exactly who are receiving those tips. Any restaurant, hotel or resort has people working behind the scenes to care for you during your stay but they typically are hourly/salary employees. I feel these "tips" are nothing but a way for the cruise company to mask the total cost of a cruise. They market themselves as being a less expensive vacation option and than tack on fees that raise the cost of the cruise. "Travel xyz cruise line for 7 days for $499). No mention of the other costs. Adding in just the tips is another $80.50 per person (Over 16% addition to the cruise fare). Add in port charges and taxes of over $100 per person and that cruise is now $679.50 per person or almost 36% more than the advertised price. At least with the port charges they show up prior to completing the booking but the tips are not mentioned during the booking process.

If the cruise lines were more transparent it would be helpful esp a line like Carnival that caters to first time cruisers.

I don't understand the tipping questions. If so many people feel the crew works too hard, and is well underpaid, than why are you going on the cruise? Why are you supporting the industry that you feel exploits the workers?

Remember, every employee on the ship, signed a contract, and agreed to the pay structure. It is none of my business what they make or how they get paid. Could care less. After their contract is up, they leave, or stay, their choice.

I eat at fast food. They get paid crap, but I eat there because it is cheap. Those workers made their life, and it's none of my business.

I have had many room stewards. How do they go above and beyond. Get ice? They need to get it for you, because a passenger can't get it themselves, therefore it is not above and beyond. My expectation is that the room is clean.

Therein lies the problem. Exactly who are receiving those tips. Any restaurant, hotel or resort has people working behind the scenes to care for you during your stay but they typically are hourly/salary employees. I feel these "tips" are nothing but a way for the cruise company to mask the total cost of a cruise. They market themselves as being a less expensive vacation option and than tack on fees that raise the cost of the cruise. "Travel xyz cruise line for 7 days for $499). No mention of the other costs. Adding in just the tips is another $80.50 per person (Over 16% addition to the cruise fare). Add in port charges and taxes of over $100 per person and that cruise is now $679.50 per person or almost 36% more than the advertised price. At least with the port charges they show up prior to completing the booking but the tips are not mentioned during the booking process.

If the cruise lines were more transparent it would be helpful esp a line like Carnival that caters to first time cruisers.

Actually, when you book your cruise, you are asked whether or not you want to pay your gratuities up front - or you can elect to have it added to your S&S account at the end of your cruise. This, along with port charges, taxes, etc. are made perfectly known to you when you book. Very transparent.

You can elect to have the auto-tips removed - it is your choice. I'll do what I feel is right, and you do what you feel is right.

Is it just me, or does there seem to be an abundance of various tipping threads as of late?

@Tapi I couldn't agree with you more - I am on vacation - I know what the facts are going in, and if I have to obsess about it for weeks/months before going away then why bother going away.

I have always found in life, what I give, I get back, regardless of what aspect it may be.

I have decided on my upcoming cruise, I will tip MORE than I ever have before, in addition to my auto tips.

Yes, these people have chosen this job, does that make them any less hardworking or deserving? No.

I can afford to cruise and go on vacation and everything else that goes with it, I can afford an extra $30 in tips for a five night cruise. If it makes someone else smile, then heck, we all win ;)

I have always found in life, what I give, I get back, regardless of what aspect it may be.

I have decided on my upcoming cruise, I will tip MORE than I ever have before, in addition to my auto tips.

Yes, these people have chosen this job, does that make them any less hardworking or deserving? No.

I can afford to cruise and go on vacation and everything else that goes with it, I can afford an extra $30 in tips for a five night cruise. If it makes someone else smile, then heck, we all win ;)

Totally agree!

I greatly preferred the old way of tipping cash at the end of the cruise directly to the staff. We almost always tipped more than the suggested amount. We knew the money was going directly to the staff member.

I would like to start also tipping cash daily to our cabin steward, in addition to the auto tips, however I don't want them to think that's all they're getting. How do you all go about this? Since they started doing auto tips, we have usually still given our cabin steward extra money at the end of the cruise in an envelope with a thank you. Same for waiters and assistant waiters. I just thought about changing that to a daily tip.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks. : )

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks. : )

My thought is that the crew expect the daily auto gratuity, so I would continue to wait until the end and use envelopes if they went above your expectations. I don't think the daily cash is necessary.

That is clear to you?

Is guest services a tipped position? Entertainment too? Who are other hotel staff members?

I was fine with the dollar going to buffet workers. I am not ok with it going to the non never been a tipped position people.

You can say it is only a buck a day, but would you be fine if someone robbed you but only took a dollar from you?

It is my belief that when a salaried person performs service in an area providing services to guests for which tips are traditionally given then they receive a share of that $2. So if an entertainer is working in the buffet or helping deliver luggage than they receive a portion.

Personally, I don't give a rat's bottom who the auto tips go to. I'm on vacation, I pre pay the tips and forget about it. Whatever I can do to make my vacation more enjoyable, I do (and obsessing about who gets what, spending time splitting hairs, and chasing staff around the ship to tip in cash or remove tips, does NOT make my vacation more enjoyable).

Agreed.

Hello all,

I'm in my mid 30's and just started cruising last year.

I look at the automatic gratuities as part of the fare that I'm paying. If I cant afford to tip, I wont be cruising.

On my first cruise, (Celebrity Summit), the staff did their jobs beyond my expectations. Especially our MDR waiter and assistant, were literally bending over backwards to make our dinner experiences great.

They deserved extra tips at the end of the voyage, and we even stopped at a bookstore in St Marteen to pick up little Thank You cards to write them a message.

PS. Just a little over 2 months till I cruise on the Breeze and then the Glory !!!

Hello all,

I'm in my mid 30's and just started cruising last year.

I look at the automatic gratuities as part of the fare that I'm paying. If I cant afford to tip, I wont be cruising.

On my first cruise, (Celebrity Summit), the staff did their jobs beyond my expectations. Especially our MDR waiter and assistant, were literally bending over backwards to make our dinner experiences great.

They deserved extra tips at the end of the voyage, and we even stopped at a bookstore in St Marteen to pick up little Thank You cards to write them a message.

PS. Just a little over 2 months till I cruise on the Breeze and then the Glory !!!

That seems to be the mindset of TNG. Get STUFF handed to you. Get STUFF taken from you. Not everyone has to be a willing participant, and can actually handle things themselves.

You can tip them anyway you see fit. You can adopt them and their families for all I care. I only tip for service received, not because I feel sorry for a choice they have made.

My son worked 96 hours last week, (2 48 hr shifts), he will work 96 hours this week, and the next and the next and the next. He makes $8 an hour and got 2 hours of sleep last night. He is one of those guys you call when you get sick or do something stupid at 2am.

Folding a towel, filling an ice bucket or makeing a bed is not hard work. Dragging a 300 pound man down a gravel driveway while doing cpr is hard work. Wading chest deep in a drainage ditch so you can get to the upside down car on the other side at 5:30 in the morning is hard work.

For the life of me I can't understand why people thnk ship service people work so hard.

Well your son does not work 16 hours everyday 7 days a week and 8$ an hour is low pay in the states but the guys on the ship from what i understand make a lot less. There is a lot to consider they do have a room and food on the ship but they don't go home at the end of their tour of duty. I am a public servant and have been for 23 years. A lot of times I am very overpaid for what I do. Like right at the moment i am getting paid to do my job and i am sitting here at the breakfast table reading cruise critic. But when the crap hits the fan which may happen before i end writing this post. I am very underpaid. You can say they have a choice to sign the contract and get on the ship to work your son also has a choice where he works. He could work at a fast food restaurant or as a stocker at a retail store for 7.25 an hour. Have you ever folded towels for 8 hours. The first hour is probably easy the 7 hour not so much.

For the people that remove the tips do you tip everybody that does something for you on the ship. When you go to the Buffett and eat do you drop a dollar a person at the table when you leave like you would at Golden Corral do you drop $3-$4 pp on the table at dinner in the main dinning room for the wait staff like you would at outback? And so on and so forth. I pre pay my gratuities when I book my cruise. I have been on 10 and going on my 11 cruise this sat. I am sure I will tip extra to those that go above and beyond.

Each to their own on how they handle it but that's what I do.

For the people that remove the tips do you tip everybody that does something for you on the ship. When you go to the Buffett and eat do you drop a dollar a person at the table when you leave like you would at Golden Corral do you drop $3-$4 pp on the table at dinner in the main dinning room for the wait staff like you would at outback? And so on and so forth. I pre pay my gratuities when I book my cruise. I have been on 10 and going on my 11 cruise this sat. I am sure I will tip extra to those that go above and beyond.

Each to their own on how they handle it but that's what I do.

Do for me? Or do for their employer?

And perhaps you're not aware that in the buffet you are serving yourself, and you have forgone eating in the service dining room that you have already tipped for. Tips go for THREE service meals a day.

Archived