Tipping...your thoughts but be nice!

msstarr22

I have always just went with the tips Carnival has put on my S&S account. I tip my cabin person extra if they go they extra mile and 99% of the time they do. I get YTD so I rarely have the same waitstaff. My question is who else am I tipping. Am I tipping all the bar persons I never go to? Am I tipping others I do not even see?

I am sure that other inquiring minds would love to know!;)

Very little of the gratuity amount goes to those behind-the-scenes. IMHO, just leave the auto tips on or pre-pay them THEN if you choose to add a little extra then do so.

It's too much of a waste of my cruise time to worry about how Carnival distributes my gratuties. Stand in a long guest services line to take off $2 or whatever the amount is, no way ?

As far as the AnyTime dining, the hostess will ask for your cabin# so the tips get fairly distributed to the waitstaff that serves you on that evening. With that said, if you find a wait team that you really like, you can request to be seated in that section each evening.

**** Also wanted to add that last cruise, we encountered 3 Lido workers that also served the lunch while on HMC. Moving all of that food and prep for one meal is a lot of work so the passengers can enjoy a day on the island...... so even though one may not feel like parting with thier money for a bartender or server they have never used, keep in mind that a lot of these folks have more than one job on the ship.

:)

Very little of the gratuity amount goes to those behind-the-scenes. IMHO, just leave the auto tips on or pre-pay them THEN if you choose to add a little extra then do so.

It's too much of a waste of my cruise time to worry about how Carnival distributes my gratuties. Stand in a long guest services line to take off $2 or whatever the amount is, no way ?

As far as the AnyTime dining, the hostess will ask for your cabin# so the tips get fairly distributed to the waitstaff that serves you on that evening. With that said, if you find a wait team that you really like, you can request to be seated in that section each evening.

**** Also wanted to add that last cruise, we encountered 3 Lido workers that also served the lunch while on HMC. Moving all of that food and prep for one meal is a lot of work so the passengers can enjoy a day on the island...... so even though one may not feel like parting with thier money for a bartender or server they have never used, keep in mind that a lot of these folks have more than one job on the ship.

:)

well said

Loxley,

Sounds like your son is what we call a Medic here in Charlotte. They are wonderful, do a wonderful job, and save lots of lives. At $8 an hour, he makes $40,000 a year. I know from friends that do this job, that they work hard when called, but enjoy relaxing in between calls after they have restocked their vehicles. Some nights they have two hours sleep and other times, alot more sleep. In between their 2 48 hour shifts each week, they get to go home, play with their kids, relax with their families, and socialize with their friends. People are grateful to them whenever they are needed-they get alot of respect. You seem to think that their life is so much harder than the ship's staff that are away from their families 6-10 months each time, that work irregular hours, that have people treatment rudely or as second class citizens(sadly, we have all seen that happen), they sleep 2 to 4 in a room for the 6-10 months. If I am blessed enough to be able to afford to cruise and I am, then the $12 a day in tips is minor and it is part of the cost and I pay it happily. I am a control freak and I admit it, but I do not need to control where that $2 for misc. workers goes each day. I tip extra when I think it is deserved. I have really never met any rude staff, other than the pushy photographers. I enjoy cruising and enjoy the crew. :D

$8 a hour would actually be $16640/yr w/o overtime. Hopefully they are getting closer to $18/hour.

It's doubtful any of those things will happen unless you are looking for it to happen - one thing I did see is that these staff members are tired - and somehow they manage to deliver pretty consistent friendly and efficient service. There is no way I'd worry and have a mental checklist going to make sure I was getting my tipping money's worth - that seems labour intensive to me, something I don't like to do on holiday. I say relax and enjoy your cruise. If one person you come in contact with under achieves, chances are someone else will over achieve - so your tips will break even.

That is a very good point. I like to live my life with this attitude although I do not always succeed.

Archived