Allure of the Seas - Suggestions?

Greengo

We're sailing on 9/15/13 on the Allure of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean cruise. We are taking our 9 and 6 year old granddaughters. Although we have been on 13 cruises before, this will be the first time we have been on RCCL and the first time we have taken the granddaughters. We would appreciate any suggestions that would make their cruise more enjoyable.

If they are into it there is a Dreamworks Character breakfast on sea days in the main dining room at 8 am. They do it two or three times during the week. Sign up required. FREE. Adults can attend. You can go on Royal Caribbean website and sign up prior to boarding under specialty dining (they hide it in the menu a bit).

I would say join the roll call, I am on the same sailing with you and have kids the same age as your grand daughters. But, you already did! I said hi to you in the Roll Call, everyone in there is very active and we have several veteran Allure cruisers that can answer any questions you may have.

Be sure to sign the kids up for Adventure Ocean, they will love the activities. Other than that, grab a delicious beverage of your choice, sit back, and enjoy the ride!

Not specifically related to the kids.

If you have an interest in catching the Ocean Aria (diving show) book it for the first available night if you can. There are many influences that can cause it to be canceled and that will give you additional days to try and squeeze in another showing.

Edited to say: Sorry for the cross-posting with those above--I was typing while y'all were posting!

What great ages! And what a treat for you to be able to take them on a cruise--we cruised with our children at those ages and now look forward to cruising with grandchildren!

We just got off the Allure (had a fabulous week). Here are a few things that come to mind:

1-Make your show reservations now, if you haven't already. If you get on board and you realize you want to tweak show reservations, you can book/change on your stateroom interactive TV...it's way better than dealing with the embarkation-day queue or the showtime standby line, although that is a great backup if you need it.

2-Go 30 min. early to ice show, Blue Planet and Aqua show so they can be right up front (on the rail or second row is ideal for ice show, watch out for the front splash rows at Aqua--you might let them sit there if they want to, with you two a few rows behind, they will cherish your trust/their independence and you can keep a watchful eye!). Chicago is long and has mature content--may or may not work for y'all! There will be an advertised "family friendly" clean comedy show later in the week. Watch Compass listings for special shows throughout the week in the Aqua theatre. Many are very family-oriented, and that's such a cool venue.

3-The parade is repeated a second time, usually on the last sea day. Many meet and greet opportunities throughout the week with the characters, including Character Breakfasts.

4-The zip line is free and fun! (If they're nervous, you should go, too--easy, quick thrill!) They'll like the rock wall, too. And Flow Rider, depending.... I wonder if the Adventure Ocean staff takes them to those venues, and if it depends on age? That would be a good thing to learn--maybe someone will answer here. If you didn't sign off on their waivers online, see if your Pre-Cruise Planner is accessible (web access will close a few days before embarkation) and do it now just to save a little time. Lines for all adventure activities will be long the last sea day--try to go earlier in the week.

5-Deck 14 forward features an outside viewing deck--you have to enter it on the port side. It is a great place to go to watch as you come into or leave a port.

6-When it was time to go to bed, my kids always loved calling by themselves and ordering cookies and milk room service! Room service is free on Royal Caribbean (up to a very late night hour when they add a service fee), but it is customary to offer the server a small tip, e.g., $1 for cookies and milk would be fine, more if you order 4 full meals!

7-You will be asked at check-in whether they have seapass charge privileges for the several onboard extras that cost an additional fee. They will be tempted! There is a "Build-A-Bear" sort of place, a cupcake shop (to consume or cupcake making class), Johnny Rockets, video games, temporary tattoos, Royal Caribbean logo wear, etc. After trial and error, we found it worked best in our family to inform the kids up front what their budget for extras would be, e.g., no extras, or you may charge up to $XX.00 the whole cruise, whatever. They liked having to think about what they would spend their money on. On a related note, there's soft drinks--if you don't buy the package, you can either tell them if they want one, they can include it in their trip budget, or they can buy only one a day, or whatever. You get the idea--and you'll figure how how to handle this the best way for your family.

8-If they have smart phones, be sure you learn how to disable them so they don't rack up huge cellular bills! :eek:

Have fun, neighbor (I'm in Austin). :)

The kids love the parades! Check the Compass every day for character interaction opportunities, additional ice shows, and additional aqua theatre shows. Also - if you think they might want to ice skate - bring long pants and socks. Perfect ship for grandkids!

Thank you. Are you going to the roll call meet and greet? Do you know where it will be?

Thanks again. See you in a few days.

Dennis & Larraine Green

Austin, Texas

Yes I will be at the meet and mingle. Be sure to sign up for that. You can scroll through a few pages of the Roll call and find the Event List Page that we created for all the stuff we have planned (cabin crawl, slot pull, sail away party, etc.) If you have trouble finding the link let me know in the Roll Call and I will post it again for you.

If they are into it there is a Dreamworks Character breakfast on sea days in the main dining room at 8 am. They do it two or three times during the week. Sign up required. FREE. Adults can attend. You can go on Royal Caribbean website and sign up prior to boarding under specialty dining (they hide it in the menu a bit).

Yes, go online and sign up for it today! These events will fill up. I’ve seen families turned away at the door. Each character will meet briefly with each family for a photo op while you dine, so bring your camera- a crew member will snap a pic of your family and the character for you.

If you don’t like what’s on the menu there will be a breakfast buffet on the other side of the dining room where you can get more stuff (think fruits, yoghurts, cereals, etc). I am sure your grandkids will love it.

I would also try and steer then clear of the video arcade. This is something they can do at home. I wouldn’t even tell them the ship has one.

There's also a mini-golf course. This is a great after dinner activity.

Another option for after dinner is taking advantage of Family Time Dining (available from day 2 onwards). Adventure Ocean staff will come to the dining room entrance 40 minutes into your meal to pick up kids and bring them to AO. This will leave parents and grandparents time to finish their meal alone together. Get this setup if you want and your waiters will get the children their meals out fast.

Thanks to all of you for the information, especially the detailed response from Artemis. You are in fact a neighbor. We live in Lakeway and the kids live in Circle C. Have fun in Tahiti - be sure and visit the Central Market in Papette, where you can get a beautiful floral setting for your cabin for around 10 bucks. You will that trip.

Best wishes to all.

Archived