How do you pack for an Epic TA NCL style

jonbgd

SO this is our third cruise on NCL but our first TA.

I still havnt got use to the attire in the MDR for dinner. Even on our previous NCL cruises, I wear long pants and a nice shirt in both Mdr's and the specialty restaurants.

SO here is my problem

How do people pack for 5 pre cruise days and then another 13 days of cruising?. And limit everything to one suitcase each:eek:

Guys..... do you just wear the same clothes, all day long?

Women...... how do you get by without bringing 20 pairs of shoes?

Is there discount laundry service a couple times during a TA to wash skivvies?

We did the med then transaton Epic 2years agon.i recommend shorts or capris forbwarm days but bring jeans and sweaterscas well .the firstpart of the transat can be quite cool .in Azores it pooooured I had a raincoat hat and umbrella which poofed with the wind

it can go from hot to cold in a single day be prepared ..Bcn was very warm Florence freezing cold ....hence the bronchitis I got ...because I did not dress properly ...layers is the best because sometims mornings are extra cool but warm up during the dayb

i paid the luggage fees because i felt I needec a variety of clothes

Nights were pretty simple .nice slacks ,cute tops ...no gowns but a few short fancy dresses for special dinners ...we had quite a few

The ship can be cool so wrap or sweater a must

I loved our Transat in spite of my illness ..but well taken care of by the on board doctors

Bring ovc meds fir colds etc ...not much on board

Have a great crossing ..Epic is wonderful

I still havnt got use to the attire in the MDR for dinner. Even on our previous NCL cruises, I wear long pants and a nice shirt in both Mdr's and the specialty restaurants.

SO here is my problem

How do people pack for 5 pre cruise days and then another 13 days of cruising?. And limit everything to one suitcase each:eek:

Watch this...all will be answered.

I am actually considering getting smaller bags! Here is what we had for 42 days of travel including an 11 nt TA & 30 days traveling in Europe:

WP_20130522_001.jpg

This included 4 bottles of wine, 2 glass wine glasses, a small coffee maker with coffee, creamers the little liquid ones, sugar, a supply of paper plates, salt, pepper, real silverware, 2 netbooks, 2 kindles, 2 umbrellas, a twin size flat sheet, all of my own shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, etc..., a sport coat & zippered sweater for DH (think layers), 3 prs of shoes for me (white dressy sneakers, sandals black strappy kitten heel) and 2 for DH, (1 black walking 1 sandal) plus all of our clothes. We did laundry 3 times in a laundromat and I washed some things by hand at night.

I don't skimp on comfort things when I travel and I take only the clothes I know I am going to wear.

I use packing cubes for most things except pants - they go in the bottom. I have 3 long jersey knit dresses and 2 short ones that travel really well. I can wear them with heels for dressy or sneakers (not gym type but cute white ones) and short dressy socks or sandals for casual. The long dresses are nice as they are pretty warm in cooler weather. I am not a fan of pants and generally choose a dress unless it is really cold. I had 1 pr pants, 2 prs shorts, 4 shirts, 5 dresses, 1 sweater & all the base garments. I carry a good supply of costume jewelry to dress things up.

DH had 4 prs of pants, 2 prs shorts & 8 shirts.

Plus swimwear - we spent 2 weeks in FL at the end of trip.

It just takes some practice - we haven't checked a bag in almost 15 years. I have everything in travel sizes - my poor 3-1-1 bags are stuffed to capacity!

Doing your laundry, greatly cuts down on bulk. NCL runs specials for $25/bag which is a great deal. I also might do some hand washing in the sink of undergarments/socks, using Zote soap- superb laundry bar soap. I send out laundry each day of the specials.

I take ONE pair of shoes, and mostly t shirts. :) Maybe 4 shirts/polos, for each of us. 3/4 pairs of long pants. Lots of undies and socks, which don't take up a lot of room. That's it. I take one bag for two people and will be gone for 3 weeks on the same cruise.

SO here is my problem

Pretty much like any cruise, but as the other poster said, you will need to have clothes for more than one type of weather. DH wears shorts during the day and puts on the long pants for the dining room at night. No suit, one of the reasons that he likes NCL and makes packing so much easier.

We used the discount laundry bags and I take things that can be hand washed in the sink. I take sneakers for walking off the ship/gym, etc, and a pair of nice sandals to wear in the evening. Those and pool and bedroom shoes are it for me. TAs on the Epic are great! You have time to enjoy all the amenities. We did the back to back afterward and would have had a hard time seeing the ports and all the shows in just 7 days.

I work my wardrobe around just two basic colors and do mix and match with tops and slacks. Ditto for hubby. We wear clothes more than once before laundering and use the ship's weekly laundry 'all you can fit in the bag' special.

To travel I wear walking shoes and only pack one pair of dress shoes and a pair of flip flops. Hubby wears black oxfords and takes tennis shoes.

For cool weather I layer a turtleneck under a blouse. Hubby's long sleeved shirt is enough for him aboard ship and under jacket for shore.

That is what we did for 33 days aboard ship rom Northern Europe, across Atlantic, in Western Caribbean. That is also what we did for 6 weeks land travel in Spain, using local laundries or hand laundry in our pensione room.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Wow alot of minimal packing

With all the different climates bring layers of clothing.

DO laundry pre cruise and use the laundry bag special while onboard

Limit clothing and do a lot more repeat wearing/mixing, matching

Tell the GF to limit her shoes:eek:

Seashark thanks for the link I might just have to try it

CapeCod Im impressed especially the coffee maker and creamers...... The GF would want to bring her keurig

BudgetQueen I will look into that soap and will see you onboard

• 4 weeks later...

Archived