Need help with advice for insurance for cruise within a longer trip...please!

aimathy

We booked a cruise for July 2014 as part of a longer trip to Europe. We will most likely go to France for a week before the cruise and also spend some time in England after the cruise.

We put our deposit down on Aug 21. With the back to school rush, I didn't even realize how long ago that was and now I'm nervous because I think it's too late to get a policy that covers pre-existing issues. (We don't have any, but I'm not sure why I feel like that would be important!)

On top of that, I'm not sure if I just book insurance for the cruise only portion of the trip....or for my expenses for the whole trip? We do not have all the other details arranged yet, though.

If someone could please give me some guidance, I'd really appreciate it!! Thank you!

We booked a cruise for July 2014 as part of a longer trip to Europe. We will most likely go to France for a week before the cruise and also spend some time in England after the cruise.

We put our deposit down on Aug 21. With the back to school rush, I didn't even realize how long ago that was and now I'm nervous because I think it's too late to get a policy that covers pre-existing issues. (We don't have any, but I'm not sure why I feel like that would be important!)

On top of that, I'm not sure if I just book insurance for the cruise only portion of the trip....or for my expenses for the whole trip? We do not have all the other details arranged yet, though.

If someone could please give me some guidance, I'd really appreciate it!! Thank you!

Here are my thoughts, though I am not a travel insurance expert!

On the pre-existing waiver, I do seem to recall maybe one or two insurers that will still offer it beyond the usual 2 to 3 week time period (from the time you make the initial deposit). You'll just have to search them out on one of the travel insurance websites (I use insuremytrip.com). You could also call one of their representatives - that might be easier.

On the decision to insure the other portions of your trip, if the goal is to protect for potential cancellation, many policies require you insure the entire NON-REFUNDABLE cost. So that might include some of your pre/post cruise hotels which were pre-paid. Again, you may want to call one of the reps to discuss.

I do know that you can add to your coverage as the various parts of your vacation plans are finalized. Of course, the premium will go up!

I know that CSA will waive the pre-existing condition requirement if you buy it no later than 24 hours after final payment. I'm sure there are others.

Whether you insure against cancellation, of course, depends on your own financial perceptions. I'm usually not concerned about cancellation because I can self-insure that part. However, you may want to buy enough at least to get medical and evacuation coverage for your entire trip. Accidents and illness can happen anywhere, to anyone.

Archived