Canada/New England

It sounds good. That is truly a georgous area to cruise. But I'm confident that if it had true economic potential for HAL that they would already be doing it. Unless, of course, the Canadian ports have restrictions on the number of ships/pax they will allow on any given day.

I love your idea but think Jim may be correct. It is highly possible some of the ports put a limit onto how many cruise pax they allow per season. PEI, Bar Harbor, Sydney really can't handle too many people at a time without it looking like a Caribbean island loaded with cruise pax....come to think of it, doesn't Alaska look like that each spring, summer, fall? Aren't they regretting some of the things they allowed in the past and are now paying the price for?

Being from Boston, I'd be thrilled and (I imagine) so would the City of Boston. Think hotels, taxis, restaurants, shopping and all the rest....

I'd like to see more ships, period, sail out of Boston during the summer months. There are several in the fall, but there's so much more to eastern Canada/New England than fall foliage. Two ships from HAL would be great. Perhaps one could do the Montreal-Boston (and reverse) route, while the other does RT Boston?

I'd like to see more ships, period, sail out of Boston during the summer months. There are several in the fall, but there's so much more to eastern Canada/New England than fall foliage. Two ships from HAL would be great. Perhaps one could do the Montreal-Boston (and reverse) route, while the other does RT Boston?

Sign us up.....I'm booking both itineraries....Back to Back??

With all due respect to KK, I'm skeptical about adding more ships to that area. So far ... we have HAL, NCL, Princess, and Carnival doing that route.

Like s7s and Jim mention, it might end up a 'tad bit crowded' up there. After doing that cruise a few times, I'd rather keep it the way it is. Fewer 2000+ pax barges up there will make a difference.

Heck ... HAL has eight ships on the schedule for Alaska next year! --- Count em .. EIGHT!! (No wonder that state is melting ... ) :rolleyes:

I'd rather drive up there in late autumn, and avoid the crowds.

:D

There are two ships pursuing Canada & New England for 2006 : Amsterdam and Maasdam.

On HollandAmerica.Com click 'Destinations' and '2006' and two ships are offered.

Amsterdam is doing four ten day cruises in Canada/New Englang. None in the spring or summer. Three in September and one other on October 7.

There are two ships pursuing Canada & New England for 2006 : Amsterdam and Maasdam.

On HollandAmerica.Com click 'Destinations' and '2006' and two ships are offered.

Thanks, Steve. What a great idea to add another ship during the fall season for the 'leaf peepers'! ;)

And I'm going to Bermuda on NCL as there are no C/NE cruises on Maasdam for most of July and August. A second ship for a C/NE route would certainly be welcomed here in the summer months.

I don't necessarily think 2 ships are needed. I would however like HAL to have a ship there all summer. Several years ago we did a C/NE cruise on the Rotterdam in July. Had a wonderful time. Unfortunately since I teach, the spring and fall are out.

I would love to 2 ships doing the Canada/New England cruises in June, July, and August.

Not for just a few weeks in September and October.

It must be that financially it would not pay for HAL to have 2 ships do Canada/NEng all summer. Though a few of the summer weeks are oversold, that probably does not happen often enough or in great enough numbers for HAL to fill 2 ships. If it did, they would. :)

Fall in NEngland is a different story; it must pay for HAL to devote 2 ships to this itinerary or they wouldn't move the Amsterdam in from NY. That NY-Montreal is a great 10 day cruise!

It must be that financially it would not pay for HAL to have 2 ships do Canada/NEng all summer. Though a few of the summer weeks are oversold, that probably does not happen often enough or in great enough numbers for HAL to fill 2 ships. If it did, they would. :)

Fall in NEngland is a different story; it must pay for HAL to devote 2 ships to this itinerary or they wouldn't move the Amsterdam in from NY. That NY-Montreal is a great 10 day cruise!

There are no HAL ships doing Canada/NE from mid July to mid August.

Same here, cvillehf.

I'm not a teacher, but my husband is -- plus we have a school-aged son. Thankfully, Maasdam will be back from Europe earlier in '06 than in '05. We plan to book very soon in case demand is as high next year as it was this year.

As I stated earlier, there's more to this itinerary than fall foliage. (And you have to go inland to see the good stuff, anyway.)

We have already done a fall foliage on the Maasdam a few years ago -loved it.

But living here in western PA, we see a lot of fall foliage - all we have to do is go out our back door and see over 20 trees just on our property turning into wonderous colors in the fall - yes - and we see it in the front yard as well.

And we have done Maasdam's Mat cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Montreal in 2004 - it was great. But many of the restaurants were not open for business at that time.

With the Massdam gone for a good part of July and part of August - both 2005 and 2006 - I STILL SAY WE NEED ANOTHER HAL SHIP TO DO CANADA/NEW ENGLAND CRUISES IN JUNE, JULY, AND AUGUST!

Okay - I got that off my chest.

I was on the same 2004 cruise as Krazy Kruisers from Fort Lauderdale to Montreal and would do that cruise again in a heartbeat if HAL offered it. It was a 14 day cruise and then I took the three-day post cruise trip to Ottawa. I had a wonderful time on the ship and met several fellow CC'ers and I truly had the best time, it was one of my favorite cruises.

However, there's no way that I'm going to spend at least 5 hours in the air, to get from the west coast to the east coast (and then have to pay for a hotel room overnight because HAL can't find a flight to get me to the ship on time) just to spend 7 (or even 10) days on a cruise, no matter how much I enjoyed places like Bar Harbor, Boston, NYC and several ports in Canada (a country I love). I'll save the airfare and head south (Mexico, Panama Canal, South America), or west (Hawaii, South Pacific, Australia/New Zealand) instead.

Before anyone gets their knickers in a knot about how I'll have to pay airfare, or whatever from the west coast: I live in San Diego and have taken Mexico, Panama Canal and Hawaiian cruises round trip San Diego - no airfare and, more importantly no hassle at airports or inferior service on airlines. I would only consider the South America cruise again if I could fly to Rio and end up back in San Diego but that's because of the length of the flight and the fact that I wouldn't want to spend an entire day, and half the night, in a "hospitality room" at the Rio Sheraton before our planes left for the U.S. at midnight. As far as Australia/New Zealand went, I just happened to really read one of the brochures HAL sent us and we flew from San Diego to Sydney and then back home from Auckland for $250.00 per person - that's roundtrip! Yep, that was one of the bargains of the century!:D.

If HAL would consider offering the 14 day Fort Lauderdale to Montreal trip again then I would be one of the first to sign up for it, but those 7 or 10 days - sorry, it's just not worth the hassle. On my one and only Fort Lauderdale to Montreal cruise, as I mentioned, I had to pay for an overnight in a hotel - that cost me $130.00. It's not that I can't afford $130.00, but just look how much it cost me to fly from San Diego to Sydney and then back home from Auckland? Of course, the hotel room there in Sydney cost me $350.00 a night (for two) but, oh, suite passengers would have felt right at home in that room.:)

Valerie

Archived