Fiji shopping

Esilef

Suva. If you want craft items I suggest you go to the craft market. When you walk out of the wharf area follow the road around to the right past the Chinese fishing fleet and over a small bridge. Cross the road at the first intersection (I think there is a small traffic island in the middle of the road. Diagonally across the road there is a low-set besser block building with a bright blue roof. In there and in the ground floor of the adjoining high-rise car park there are more than a hundred craft stalls. You should bargain aggressively. Start at one-third of the price and expect to pay half of the asking price.

If you want better quality items or good jewellery, or clothes, you should go to Jacks, Tappoo or Prouds. Jewels of Fiji is excellent for jewellery. With jewellery you should bargain a bit - maybe get a 20% reduction. If you buy expensive merchandise you can get the tas (like GST) refunded. I think it is 15%. There is usually a government representative on board the ship before departure who will organise this for you.

Have a great trip.

Archived