Suggestions For Souvenirs

What are your favorite items to bring home for yourself or others while visiting Turkey and Greece. Looking for suggestions that are easy to pack and don't weigh a lot. Also helps if they're easy on my pocketbook.

Love to hear what others "treasure".

Thanks

Since there have been a ton of discussion on this topic - I did a quick search of this forum....... here is a link to a thread with some good suggestions....... :) (PS: have you used the search function - it is a great tool)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=829627&highlight=souvenirs

Enjoy ! (I am a BIG shopper :D )

Just realized you asked specifically for Turkey and Greece..... while there are some suggestions on that thread I provided above for Greece I don't think there were any for Turkey.

That was in 2008....our first trip to Med. Been back twice since - both times to Turkey and Greece..... and going back next month :D Here are some other items you might find interesting.

Greece: depending on the port: Mykonos and Athens had nice leather goods ! belts, sandals and purses. Crete we bought some honey that was yummy ! They mix it with yogurt which I do not like but theirs was soooo good. Athens I also bought some wonderful black and white prints of ancient Athens. Oh and a Hard Rock cafe tshirt for DD :o Santorini I bought a gold coin pendant of Athena. Corfu I have purchased olive wood items, ouzo and olive oil soap.

Turkey: Istanbul - spices ! Pashminas (make sure they are made in Turkey) embroidered pillow cover with sultans robe on it. Some jewelry. Kusadasi - leather coat, jewelry at Sirince village (wonderful shop with all silver jewelry handmade - Dimitri of Ephesus is store name) hand woven linens from vendors in market square in Sirince, berry wine, embroidered purse at market in Kusadasi and a few small items at shops by the ship (mostly tourist stuff there)

I'm sure I forgot some items....... have fun shopping !

Trukey,

Bookmarks with carpet design. got 10 for five dollars outside of ephesus from a young boy.

Jewelry with the eye of Medussa(blue/black stone)for granddaughters.

pashimas for daughter in laws

Hand embroidered pillow covers for myself

Greece,

Greek pendant in silver

small icon

leather purse with the Greek key design

olive oil soaps

olive wood kitchen utensils

Chess pieces of Gr.Gods for grandson

T shirts for my sons;)

Since there have been a ton of discussion on this topic - I did a quick search of this forum....... here is a link to a thread with some good suggestions....... :) (PS: have you used the search function - it is a great tool)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=829627&highlight=souvenirs

Enjoy ! (I am a BIG shopper :D )

Thanks for your reply. I should have gone about this differently. Learned another lesson, but I can always count on help from those in the know. CC is the best.

When anywhere in Greece, I always go into a supermarket and buy some of the dried herb mix packets for making Moussaka, Salads and Origano. I use the Origano in many dishes but they're also great for using when roasting potatoes (mix it in olive oil and cover the potatoes, yummy). The authentic dried herbs already mixed to perfection really do make the dishes so worthwhile and take us right back to our last holiday in the Greek islands, magic! :D

Archived