Negative Costa reviews

phider

To me, that seems like youre looking for something to support your case. If you look at a 3 month period, you will see another picture.

What do you want to know from all these figures?

What prices were posted somewhen somewhere or what was really paid by those who sailed?

I was not looking for prices - I just opened the first available page.

If you pay the same price for Magica and Liberty of the Seas - it only says that you pay double price for Magica.

The product is cheap, prices vary.

To me, that seems like youre looking for something to support your case.

Well, to me, it looks like you sir are trying to convince yourself that Costa is not "cheap". But if you feel Costa is good for you, go for it. You will have a good time. You do not have to bring up 6-month data to support your decision.

Some of the reviews says the food is inedible. :eek:

Philip

There are reviews saying other lines' food are inedible too. I saw a review saying all her food in MDR during the entire 7-day cruise (Princess cruise, I think) were cold.:p

Just back from NeoRomantica - loved her a year ago - and she has only got better - sublime food, superb staff - Club restaurant HUGE improvement and the buffet lunch was better than Celebrity! HUGE difference between NeoR and Magica - (our in between costa cruise) - NeoRomantica is just 100% superb!!!!

Just back from NeoRomantica - loved her a year ago - and she has only got better - sublime food, superb staff - Club restaurant HUGE improvement and the buffet lunch was better than Celebrity! HUGE difference between NeoR and Magica - (our in between costa cruise) - NeoRomantica is just 100% superb!!!!

I have heard some state that NeoR has a higher standard than the rest of the Costa fleet for some reason.

Philip

I have heard some state that NeoR has a higher standard than the rest of the Costa fleet for some reason.

Philip

No kids specials - we were on NeoR June 12, then Magica Sept 12 = chalk and cheese - price per head per day is much higher on neoR - the so called advertised cheaper cabins are never available. Budget per person is higher - food, drinks and service - rather like Azamara is to Celebrity. They really should have re branded her.... whatever - she is a cracking wee ship - superb food - no crowds, very very very few kids - (no big kids club) and fab live music...love this wee ship! <3

No kids specials - we were on NeoR June 12, then Magica Sept 12 = chalk and cheese - price per head per day is much higher on neoR - the so called advertised cheaper cabins are never available. Budget per person is higher - food, drinks and service - rather like Azamara is to Celebrity. They really should have re branded her.... whatever - she is a cracking wee ship - superb food - no crowds, very very very few kids - (no big kids club) and fab live music...love this wee ship! <3

Whats a wee ship?

Philip

Well, to me, it looks like you sir are trying to convince yourself that Costa is not "cheap". But if you feel Costa is good for you, go for it. You will have a good time. You do not have to bring up 6-month data to support your decision.

Based on what background? I am simply replying to the fact that my own experience is, that I don't see the price differences that some people are talking about on some of these forums - and I am trying to support it with facts.

I don't really have any feelings about it, and I don't have any reason to try and convince myself of anything.

Being a first time cruiser for ages, I am trying to use these boards to get a picture of fact and fiction, and I am just asking the question and showing my own experience when trying to book a cruise. As said, what I am seeing is that Costa is not cheaper than the other cruise lines - and I am backing this on the fact that when I am trying to look for a best price, I use a 3-6 month period to choose from, and then pick my holiday/vacation using that as part of the equation.

Doing this, I am able to get on a Disney, Royal C., Princess, P&O, Costa and MSC cruise for the same price - isn't that pretty objective? I don't see what that has to do with feelings.

The reason why I commented as I did to cruisetrail's post, is that his reply did not seem fact based, but based on a selection of examples that supported the view I just don't see any evidence to support.

Philip

Phil, I think Costa does get a bad rap on these boards. Living in the US, it is my experience that Costa does not discount Western Med - unless it is 30 days or so, or less out from sailing. We booked a Western Med for next Spring, choosing Costa so my Father-In-Law, who resides in Europe can speak any of the three languages he speaks onboard easily - English not being one of them. Trust me, no discounts. I was also very put off by the large volume of negative posts on CC, but as an Englishwoman, I like foreign differences. Heck, I live in America! :) Perhaps many of these negative posts are from Americans and they prefer the more American cruise brand experience? Which is not Costa. Just my two cents. I totally hear you that Costa is not cheap in price. While being owned by Carnival, complete with gaudy design on some vessels, perhaps that is where the similarity ends? I call it being Carnavalized, the Costa Favosa, which we are booked on, has been thoroughly Carnavalized in design terms. Happily and hopefully, not so much in other areas!

Phil, I think Costa does get a bad rap on these boards. Living in the US, it is my experience that Costa does not discount Western Med - unless it is 30 days or so, or less out from sailing. We booked a Western Med for next Spring, choosing Costa so my Father-In-Law, who resides in Europe can speak any of the three languages he speaks onboard easily - English not being one of them. Trust me, no discounts. I was also very put off by the large volume of negative posts on CC, but as an Englishwoman, I like foreign differences. Heck, I live in America! :) Perhaps many of these negative posts are from Americans and they prefer the more American cruise brand experience? Which is not Costa. Just my two cents. I totally hear you that Costa is not cheap in price. While being owned by Carnival, complete with gaudy design on some vessels, perhaps that is where the similarity ends? I call it being Carnavalized, the Costa Favosa, which we are booked on, has been thoroughly Carnavalized in design terms. Happily and hopefully, not so much in other areas!

Apologies, I intended to write, Philip, not Phil.

I was happy to hear that neoR is selling out without discounting. Not that I like paying full fare, but it means Costa is doing something right. Blondie, your description of the nightlife sounds like what I expect with Costa, but did you hear any comments relating specifically to dancing? I'm going to be trying the ship myself this spring, but my travel agent is talking about setting up some dance cruises, and I'm wondering if I should be recommending neoR to him.

I was happy to hear that neoR is selling out without discounting. Not that I like paying full fare, but it means Costa is doing something right. Blondie, your description of the nightlife sounds like what I expect with Costa, but did you hear any comments relating specifically to dancing? I'm going to be trying the ship myself this spring, but my travel agent is talking about setting up some dance cruises, and I'm wondering if I should be recommending neoR to him.

Categorically 100% good for dancers!! We love club dancing for the tango lounge works better for us BUT and its a big but - the Vienna lounge and te grand lounge every night (especially the vienna lounge ) was 100% geared up for ballroom dancers - we enjoyed watching them - (although we tripped the light fantastic into the wee sma hours in the Tango DJ club;))

It has been repeated and not only repeated, but explained and not only explained, but demonstrated on the examples - why Costa has bad reviews.

Forget about "because Americans prefer...", look at the product.

Yes, Costa is a version of Carnival.

It's good for someone or bad for someone (not for me).

But food! Awful. Below any cruise line standards.

FYI by design the Favolosa and Fascinosa are two best Carnival Destiny class derivatives - better than any of Destiny version operated by Carnival itself. In many aspects it's a better design than Celebrity Solstice class.

But food concept - it's simply insulting. It could have been acceptable had Costa been the only existing cruise line.

But in comparison - lower quality product.

I can assure you - the food on NeoRomantica is FAR superior to Royal Caribbean and on a par if not better than Celebrity.

Our friends are HAL cruisers - and they agreed NeoR was as good as HAL....

Costa NeoRomantica is a small recently seriously renovated old ship that is not representative for Costa. Certain things can be done in a different way there.

"Food is far superior... on par..." does not make sense unless you are specific.

Are you willing to talk about food on NeoRonantica?

Here we go.

We'll continue to use Princess model for comparison as started by OP.

What from these options are available for all passengers on the NeoRomantica?

What is missing?

Anything on NeoRomantica that has no equivalents on Princess (Celebrity)?

Princess

1. Main Dining Room - traditional time seating (free)

2. Main Dining Room - open time seating (free)

3. Buffet (free):

- breakfast

- lunch

- dinner

- late snack

4. International Cafe - pastries & desserts (free)

5. Pub lunch with live music (free)

6. Proper afternoon tea - full service in restaurant setting (free)

7. Specialty restaurant: Sabatini's ($$)

8. Specialty restaurant: Crown Grill ($$)

Celebrity

3. Buffet (free):

- breakfast

- lunch

- dinner

- late snack

4. AquaSpa Cafe - (free)

5. Cafe al Bacio - desserts (free)

6. Specialty cafe Bistro on Five ($)

7. Specialty restaurant: Murano ($$)

8. Specialty restaurant: Qsine ($$)

9. Specialty restaurant: Tuscan Grille ($$)

Edited by cruisetrail

Costa NeoRomantica is a small recently seriously renovated old ship that is not representative for Costa. Certain things can be done in a different way there.

"Food is far superior... on par..." does not make sense unless you are specific.

Are you willing to talk about food on NeoRonantica?

Here we go.

We'll continue to use Princess model for comparison as started by OP.

What from these options are available for all passengers on the NeoRomantica?

What is missing?

Anything on NeoRomantica that has no equivalents on Princess (Celebrity)?

Princess

3. Buffet (free):

- breakfast

- lunch

- dinner

- late snack

4. International Cafe - pastries & desserts (free)

5. Pub lunch with live music (free)

6. Proper afternoon tea - full service in restaurant setting (free)

7. Specialty restaurant: Sabatini's ($$)

8. Specialty restaurant: Crown Grill ($$)

Celebrity

3. Buffet (free):

- breakfast

- lunch

- dinner

- late snack

4. AquaSpa Cafe - (free)

5. Cafe al Bacio - desserts (free)

6. Specialty cafe Bistro on Five ($)

7. Specialty restaurant: Murano ($$)

8. Specialty restaurant: Qsine ($$)

9. Specialty restaurant: Tuscan Grille ($$)

I have never sailed Princess so cannot comment -

I have sailed P&O and would never ever ever return.

I was merely commenting on the quality of the food on lunch and main dining.

NeoR offers both traditional dining and anytime (in the upper deck restaurant) open time dining.

Afternoon tea was available and was very nice

The Pizzeria was fabulous - with a cover charge of only 7.5 euro - available from 5pm until midnight - including as much freshly made pizza as you wish and unlimited desserts. VERY nice Pizzeria.

MDR - for me as Gluten Free - absolutely wonderful. I did not have to order (as is the case on many lines) the day before, and both lunch and dinner for Gluten Free were terrific.

The Club (25 euro surcharge)Restaurant (which as suite guests we received free)was this time superb - it had for sure improved since our last visit in 2012.

I do hear you - and can appreciate your view

I have cruised Costa Magica too - and would not repeat it.

NeoRomantica is a unique ship for Costa - the first may I add to go non smoking.

I think unless one has experienced her - its very difficult to comprehend that she is actually a Costa ship. I know I found it a world apart from my cruise on Magica.

Her open decks are beautiful - similar to the Nieuw Amsterdam -

Funnily enough it crossed my mind on the ship I really should have taken photos of the buffet for you especially - as I recall your pictures of Costa buffet.

I think Costa really should have re branded her - similar to celebrity and Azamara - They DO have it right with this ship - But they are building more mass ships - and it would seem NeoR is to be alone...:confused:

Our suite was my perfect cabin. I had the same suite last year, and this year loved it even more as it was port side as opposed to my last year starboard. Our Butler was a girl and she was just wonderful.

I cannot fault it...

100% superb cruise...

They even had my favourite Sauternes which I rarely find and love to have with my cheeses at night.

I cruise at different times of year for different reasons. For a small ship ambience - with superb food and service - for me - (obviously not to everyone's taste) - it works well...

The Spa is beautiful - and very reasonably priced. Samsara - yes, 25 euro cover charge - but again - well worth it.

I think you may be pleasantly surprised - other than the wrap around promenade which I know you like - you may well warm to this one off ship.

But - different horses for different courses...

Value for money - big wow - although she is pricier than all the other costa ships - a suite on board NeoR is tremendous value.

Breakfast we had served in our suite - so cannot comment on restaurant breakfasts.

Lunch and Dinner menu's are provided in suites each day, we had one day of chillout where we did not leave the suite and it was lovely to just chill out, watch movies - and "slob out" for a day.

We like "clubbing" music - and knew the DJ from our last cruise - loved that we could dance into the wee sma' hours - we are not ballroom people.

I am a huge Celebrity fan incidentally - love the old M class ships -

NeoR hits the spot for me for sure, and with Costa's drinks package - for sure we will cruise her again ...

I am not particularly loyal to any one line. Two lines I will never cruise again with are P&O, and Royal Caribbean.

Princess?? I am not convinced - perhaps I have it in my head it will be much the same as P&O ...

Who knows - hopefully I have a lot of years left to cruise yet and a big wide world to discover.

Why not Royal Caribbean?

I love Celebrity and Princess, although we have not tried even M class of X, only C., but we like Royal too. Right now we are on lovely Brilliance of the Seas, same size as M class of M. Wonderful service and food, beautful ship. Entertainment as a bit weak, but probably due to an older crowd, was much better previously.

I was merely commenting on the quality of the food on lunch and main dining.

Oh, my friends. Oh, my friends...

That is what I expected.

If we assess food we have to assess it.

It's a myth that food is subjective. There are a lot of objective criteria to indicate what is what food-wise before we reach the subjective part.

If we cannot assess it - a better way is to say "I like it".

Yes, food on NeoRomantica is definitely an improvement in comparison with current Costa "standards", but to say it's equal to cruise industry leaders is a big exaggeration.

However, NeoRomantica has an excuse: too small to house what resort ships have to offer.

Another note of incomparable things: open decks on HAL Eurodam & Nieuw Amsterdam cannot be compared to anything else. It's like entertainment options on the RCI Oasis class - just the best. Why? Because the ships have been designed this way. Other ships are designed different way.

I am glad you enjoyed your cruise on the NeoRomantica.

I have seen that ship as I can see your post right now.

It's not my cup of tea.

This small 20-years old ship with endless portholes is not ispiring.

I cannot imagine myself cofined to the space like this on a cruise.

This is not a resort ship.

I would rather cruise on the Luminosa than on the NeoRomantica.

I will have to manipulate with miserable dining options to get somethig accaptable.

Important: I will be able to manipulate with food on Luminosa.

But I won't be able to manipulate with ship design on NeoRomantica.

For me it's suffocating.

Once I cancelled a cruise on one of so-called "premium cruise lines" and took a cruise on... the Favolosa.:D

Do I regret?

No!

Why?

Because, apart of the miserable dining concept, the Favolosa is a modern resort ship. The "so-called" (despite premium food service) is a floating sink in comparison.

Enjoy your cruises.

Thousands.:)

Thank you for paying attention to a ship that is different from the rest of Costa fleet.

It's not the best but different.

Many people like the format of cruising it offers.

The NeoRomantica is a good option for those who like HAL S-Class (MS Ryndam, etc.) that are built on the "same" basic hull (below main deck).

Oh, my friends. Oh, my friends...

That is what I expected.

If we assess food we have to assess it.

It's a myth that food is subjective. There are a lot of objective criteria to indicate what is what food-wise before we reach the subjective part.

If we cannot assess it - a better way is to say "I like it".

Yes, food on NeoRomantica is definitely an improvement in comparison with current Costa "standards", but to say it's equal to cruise industry leaders is a big exaggeration.

However, NeoRomantica has an excuse: too small to house what resort ships have to offer.

Another note of incomparable things: open decks on HAL Eurodam & Nieuw Amsterdam cannot be compared to anything else. It's like entertainment options on the RCI Oasis class - just the best. Why? Because the ships have been designed this way. Other ships are designed different way.

I am glad you enjoyed your cruise on the NeoRomantica.

I have seen that ship as I can see your post right now.

It's not my cup of tea.

This small 20-years old ship with endless portholes is not ispiring.

I cannot imagine myself cofined to the space like this on a cruise.

This is not a resort ship.

I would rather cruise on the Luminosa than on the NeoRomantica.

I will have to manipulate with miserable dining options to get somethig accaptable.

Important: I will be able to manipulate with food on Luminosa.

But I won't be able to manipulate with ship design on NeoRomantica.

For me it's suffocating.

Once I cancelled a cruise on one of so-called "premium cruise lines" and took a cruise on... the Favolosa.:D

Do I regret?

No!

Why?

Because, apart of the miserable dining concept, the Favolosa is a modern resort ship. The "so-called" (despite premium food service) is a floating sink in comparison.

Enjoy your cruises.

Why does anything old have to be bad? Old can be good - very, very good but perhaps you are too superficial to appreciate that? We have sailed on the Mediterranea which is also an "old" ship - but excellent, well maintained and spotlessly clean. The only ship where we noticed cabin stewards removing and cleaning the shower heads EVERY day.

I have also cruised on the Favolosa and it was excellent but we certainly didn't define it as a "resort" ship - whatever that may mean to you.

We have also sailed Princess - never again, the ship wasn't large enough for the number of passengers. Failed to get a seat for breakfast buffet every morning, not my idea of a good cruise. I also recall the International Café wasn't free, a coffee card was purchased beforehand otherwise you had to pay. Not sure why you mentioned a free lunch - all ships have free lunch?????

Royal Caribbean - dirty, dirty, dirty. In the smoking area there was a dead robin lying there for days, nobody cleared away the ashtrays, dirty glasses or the poor bird so never again. If that's what we could see I shudder to think about the things we didn't see.

Celebrity - never have and never will. As smokers they obviously don't want our custom.

Hmmm.. We always sailed with Princess during peak season (Caribbean, Ruby, Grand) and never had problems finding seats in buffet. International cafe has many free options. It is an additional venue to main buffet.

Dirty RCCL ships? :eek: Which ones? Splendor, Explorer, Brilliance definitely were not dirty at all.

In our experience only Carnival ships (Liberty and Glory) were not clean. I cannot call them dirty, but not really clean.

Edited by Tatka