Looking for feedback and suggestions about Celebrity Canada / New England cruise

Hi,

Can anyone give me some feedback about the two 14-day itineraries that go up to Quebec out of Bayonne? The one that I am most interested in includes Corner Brook, NL. The other does not go to NL but also goes to Saguenay (Quebec).

Which is the better choice from those who have been there? Here are both:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/searchResultsVacationItinerary.do?packageid=SM14N012&dest=ATLCO&shipCode=SM

http://www.celebritycruises.com/search/searchResultsVacationItinerary.do?packageid=SM14N013&dest=ATLCO&shipCode=SM&sailDate=1141005&cabincls=B&promoType=

I'm actually debating on going up there by cruise or else planning a driving trip that goes up through Quebec, down through NB and then Marine Atlantic ferry over to NL and drive up to Corner Brook. For that matter, if anyone has driven to those areas I'd appreciate comments on that too. I live in PA and so driving up to the New England area and beyond is not that long a trip.

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Keith

The sailing that goes to Cornerbrook also misses Saint John New Brunswick.

Either itinerary would be good with me but I think the Cornerbrook one might be a bit more interesting.

I've lived in the Maritimes and would prefer to cruise rather than drive to many of the ports. To reach all those places in a car would mean a lot of driving as well as the Ferry to Newfoundland (which isn't a lot of fun). Choose one of the cruises and if you find you really like some of the ports, plan a road trip to go back and visit.

If you have any specific questions about any of the ports feel free to ask. I've been to all of them either on a ship or by car.

Hi RickT,

Thanks so much for the very helpful reply. I was hoping to hear from someone who has been around the area by car and ship. I like your suggestion of checking the ports out and then revisiting by car, plus I noticed by doing some map googling that - as you said - to drive up to Quebec, then down through NB to North Sydney, ferry, etc., is a good amount of mileage - which I don't mind if there is lots to see and if it's interesting. I have been to quite a few of the places - St. Johns, Bar Harbor, Charlottetown, Halifax - plus some areas of NS that are not on the cruise itinerary being that one time my family vacationed in NS. I've seen alot of PEI also. Never been to NF - that's why the Corner Brook stop interests me. Thanks again. I'll have to consider it all.

I might ask this - how is it to drive around Quebec City? I'm not terribly fond of big city driving. Also, if we elect to do the cruise that does not visit Corner Brook, then we would also get to go to Saguenay - which I'm thinking would be a nice visit (?) I always like going somewhere new which is another reason the idea of NF attracts me!

You mentioned that the ferry is not a lot of fun - I take it you are referring to Marine Atlantic? Is it not a smooth passage? Just curious why you are indicating it is not very enjoyable?

Keith

Having been to both Saguenay and Cornerbrook, both are pretty neat places. We we're not overly prepared for either port so just spent the day in each walking around town. If I had it to do again, I would look into taking a tour or excursion to explore more or see some of the outskirts. The people were very friendly in both ports. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Maybe what the previous poster was mentioning was about unfavorable sea conditions on the crossing, as both of our trips we encountered some extremely heavy seas in the Gulf of St Lawrence.

Hi RickT,

I might ask this - how is it to drive around Quebec City? I'm not terribly fond of big city driving. Also, if we elect to do the cruise that does not visit Corner Brook, then we would also get to go to Saguenay - which I'm thinking would be a nice visit (?) I always like going somewhere new which is another reason the idea of NF attracts me!

You mentioned that the ferry is not a lot of fun - I take it you are referring to Marine Atlantic? Is it not a smooth passage? Just curious why you are indicating it is not very enjoyable?

Keith

Quebec City is interesting to drive in. It's not that big a city and assuming you spend most of your time in the downtown area, fairly easy. It would be helpful to have a GPS as many of the streets are small and narrow. For the most part you park your car and walk everywhere.

As far as Marine Atlantic I guess my view is skewed because it's nowhere near as nice as a cruise ship. The ferries are basic with not too much to do other than stare out the window or read a good book. As far as the roughness, I've done the trip and have had fantastic weather and calm seas... I've also done it when the seas are not so calm. It's a relatively short ferry (6 hrs I think) so it's bearable.

And glad you checked the distances. The Maritimes seem small on a map but are not. If you do go you must take a day to drive the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton.

Drove the Cabot Trail once - long time ago. I recall it was really beautiful. Is it still pretty pristine? I believe I had read once that it was not as nice as in the past.

Not sure what could be done to change it. I drove it 5 yrs ago and it was still fantastic.

We stayed at the Normaway Inn http://thenormawayinn.com/ and did a counter clockwise drive of the trail. We stopped in Cheticamp for a whale watching cruise and dinner before heading back to the Inn.

Archived