How Early Can You Arrive

HopeO

What is the best time to board the ship? We will be on the Grand in March of 06. I noticed Carnival is leaving at the same time as Princess. I think it is going to be a zoo. Also, if you board early is there anything you can do?

If you're leaving from Galveston, I suggest waiting until around noon before showing up at the pier. There is heavy traffic congestion in front of the terminal, and there really isn't room to have people arriving to board while disembarkation is still in progress. I expect that Princess will take steps to improve the situation, but the limiting factor is US Immigration (DHS) that does the passport/document checks on board.

Once you are on board, the pools will be open, you can get something to eat, and it's a good time to explore the ship. Are you driving to Galveston, or flying to Houston?

HopeO, we cruised on the Grand last March during SB, embarkation was a snap but we were the only ship in port. We live 40 min. from Galveston so we had breakfast in Gal. and arrived at the terminal around 11:30am. on board the ship at 11:55am.

You indicated that you were driving in, I suggest using ezcruise parking. They charged $45.00 for a seven day parking. They have shuttles, we dropped the wives and luggage first then went to park the car. Met the wife at the check in counter...no worries! If you arrive after 12:00, the traffic has thinned out and it is pretty easy going.

Disembarkation was a different story, lots of traffic and confusion. If you use a shuttle, get a ticket from them when you get to the pickup point. Some people stood in line for a while and did not get a pickup ticket. Galveston has some traffic problems at the terminal and will need to correct it. Don't get in a hurry.

Grand docks at Terminal 2 on those Saturdays that Carnival's Ecstasy is there; otherwise it is at Terminal 1 on the alternate Saturdays to this (and Splendour of the Seas is at Terminal 2 on those Saturdays).

One problem I've seen with Terminal 2 is that you're down the road from Terminal 1 so you have all the congestion of that to get through too. Also, last time I came through Terminal 2 there is very little sheltered area from the rain / hot Texas sun (we got totally soaked, as did our bags). Terminal 1 has a MUCH larger area that is covered and also much longer un-loading / loading zones.

What is the best time to board the ship? We will be on the Grand in March of 06. I noticed Carnival is leaving at the same time as Princess. I think it is going to be a zoo. Also, if you board early is there anything you can do?

Archived