Solo-cruisers ?

Cotton

On the August 19, 2006 Caribbean Princess Cruise Critic group cruise there is single pricing and currently the single supplement is 150%. We welcome any of you to join us! :)

Going with a Cruise Critic group enables you to meet people ahead of time online and also a group to meet on the ship. There is also the opportunity to share excursions. You can do as much or as little as the group--you don't have to particpate in group activities, but you'll still get the group pricing and amenities.

This sailing is an Eastern Caribbean itinerary, going to St. Thomas, St. Martin, and Princess Cays. This is a great itinerary and ordinarily the only tender port is Princess Cays--another advantage!

I would also be glad to act as a clearinghouse if any singles book who would like to share a room. I won't put people together, but I'm glad to let the other singles that contact me about booking know if any other singles who have booked would like to share a room. This would only be done if a single asked me to pass on such information, so you would need to contact me. You could also post on the group message forum board as well as the roll call.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

It's been fun reading about other solo cruisers' experiences. I've cruised with JUGS (informal 40+ women's group) and solo. I had a good time cruising with the JUG group--we were a small group of 8 and cruised the Star Princess to Alaska a few years back.

In June of this year I went on a river cruise to Russia--4 nights in St Petersburg, 7 nights on the riverboat, and 4 nights in a hotel in Moscow. The riverboat had a very different feel and was a very different experience than an ocean cruise. I enjoy both and will do both again in the future.

So far I've thought of my ocean cruises as short trips--a week to Alaska out of either Seattle or Vancouver, a 4 day hop (almost like a water taxi) to different ports out of LA, and a port heavy NY-Canada cruise when I was on the east coast visiting my folks.

I think of travel (whether it be land or sea) as a way for me to have different life experiences.

Not sure what I'll do next--exploring new possibilities is part of the fun so I'm starting to look at possible trips for next year.

I hope this thread keeps going.

Faith

Doris 1930, sorry to be such a dummy with internet/email, but I don't quite understand your email address. Is it that the @ is left out? Why don't you just email me at kacruiser@ev1.net and tell me what you are interested in regarding the cruise and possibly sharing a stateroom. Then I can provide you with the information I have and possibly even post on our group cruise forum if you want.

Matchmaker Alert:

I am taking my DM Shelly on a cruise with my family on 9/11 Mariner sailing-she is a very intelligent, beautiful woman 55+- an attorney from Los Angeles who never sits still-

If there are any qualified, eligible, available gentlemen out there who will be on this cruise, please let me know-but you must be intelligent, handsome, and able to keep up with my wonderful mother.:rolleyes:

hello all, just found this thread tonight. i've been posting on a princess thread since early spring. i'm a 55 year old widow who took my first cruise as a single on the may 1 transatlantic sailing of the star princess. met a lot of nice people but mostly all couples. i found my first experience wonderful, and enjoyed the long cruise with lots of sea days. i've enjoyed reading this thread as it's been quite interesting. have never been on a carnival sailing and would like to know how it compares to princess. i will be on my first hal cruise this spring with an australian friend. we're doing alaska, after a long canadian rockies land tour. i've been to alaska before but stopping at a few different ports then the last cruise there 5 years ago.

thanks to all of you for the interesting reading.

jeralyn

i just went on my first solo cruise as my husband couldn't get away. I took a 5 day on carnival Ecstasy. Enjoyed my time alone but could have been seated at a better table. in the ports I did one excursion and one day on my own. had a great time would do it again. the crowd was 30s and 40s. I have been on other sailings where the crowd was older so there's just no telling how it will work out. Had a true 1A cabin no upgrades--booked 8 days out.

HI Jeralyn: Welcome to the world of cruising --- I'm sure you are now addiced just as the rest of us. I am 57 and have been on over 30 cruises....actually only one solo (Crystal) which was awesome. I live in the Fort Lauderdale area, so very convenient to ports. My friend & I are going to Vegas on 9/21 .......... my first time there in 10 years. Definitely not a cruise but a nice change.

Hi all,

I've been watching this thread with great interest - think there is a need for some support in solo cruising. I am a widow of two years and had loved to cruise. I decided I was just going to have to give going solo a try or be forever landlocked. I went on a wonderful 21 day Princess cruise - Brazil, Africa and the Med - last spring and it couldn't have been more perfect.

I had started logging in on a CC board for the trip and met many wonderful friends who were so welcoming and we're still in touch.

I am going to Italy and Greek Isles next June with a friend, but would go again solo in a heartbeat. I was very apprehensive at first, but am sold now and am looking at more exotic itineraries.

Great thread - thanks.

Pat

thanks for the welcome, nanci. i do love to cruise and didn't know how the experience would be doing it solo. i was so use to being part of a couple and always looked at cruises as a couples event. glad i got my feet wet and found out what fun it can be solo. as a matter of fact some of my single friends were horrified i went on this last cruise alone!

you're coming to las vegas at a perfect time. usually by late sept. early oct. the weather is glorious. i happen to be down in miami right now visiting my daugher who's a med student at um. i can't take the humidity, love the dry air of las vegas. originally i was a new yorker born and raised, lv is my retirement town. you will see lots of changes since you were last there ten years ago. it's not a cruise but it is a fun vacation. i still play tourist from time to time.

right now i'm pondering an 07 sailing on princess to south america. has anyone done any of those itineraries solo?

jeralyn;)

Hi. Jeralyn.

I do most of my cruises solo - I am 69 and will be going on my second cruise from Vancouver to Alaska and back to L.A. next week solo. You can make as many friends as you want on Cruise Critics before you sail so you are never really alone.

I went with my sister in law and her husband to South American on NCL's Crown and loved it. I had my own room and pretty much did my own thing so it was almost like being alone. We did meet for dinner and went on some tours together, but I was happiest when I was alone. This was one of my favorite cruises. Weather was perfect, seas were calm and the ship was great. Also, I came from L.A. and they came from the Bay area so we didn't even travel together.

I don't think there is a better way for a single older person to vacation than on a cruise - you're safe and well taken care of. Lots to do and lots of people to meet, and you have your own room for privacy.

Jeralyn: Thanks for your reply !! We leave for Vegas on the 21st --- so far the temp is 99 ! I wish it was cooler but at least no humidity. We have a rental car so plan to go to Lake Mead one day. We have tickets for two shows --- "O" & Danny Gans. It should be a fun five days --- maybe I will need a cruise when I get home for some R&R. Enjoy your time in Miami --- hope you got to the beach !

I have never cruised "solo" but there is a long cruise next year that I really want to take. The friend I usually cruise with didn't want to go and I surely don't know anyone else willing to spend the time or money. So, after being encouraged by other "solo" cruisers I made my reservation, even getting my own cabin (35 days is too long with a stranger). No sooner had I told my friend than she decided to go. I actually felt disappointed not to be going by myself (and guilty for feeling that way). In the long run, I will be glad to have the company but I had so psyched myself to travel alone. Maybe another time!

Hi Everyone,

I have just spent the most enjoyable hour reading all of the posts to this forum and loved every minute of it! It really never occurred to me to consider cruising by myself, but after reading all of your comments, I am ready. :D

I do enjoy my own company, talk to people easily and really enjoy cruising. Now all I have to do is find the right cruise to wherever.... I just turned 70, use a scooter and a cane, but get around pretty well in spite of the arthritis.;)

Thanks for a lot of good ideas, hope to see you on the sea one of these days.

Iris

hi nanci,

just got to the beach today and it was wonderful. i really miss the ocean and don't know how i ended up in a land locked state since i've always lived near the water.. now if i want a beach i have to drive five hours to la or fly to miami.

you made good choices in your shows while you're in lv. i've seen danny gans twice and he's very talented, have not seen o yet but everyone who has loved it. i will give you a bit of advice, lake mead is always warmer then lv is so be prepared. it's a fun place to explore and the water levels are finally coming up a bit but they're still pretty low. enjoy yourself and let me know what you think of my little town!

kathleen, thanks for the advice on the ncl cruise. i've never cruised them before, do you know how they compare to princess? i have an open deposit with princess from my may cruise but do have four years to use it. i'm always open to new adventures. i'm looking for an itinerary that goes around cape horn and i know that princess has that. i do love my days at sea so enjoy longer cruises.

jeralyn ;)

IrisF, we'd certainly welcome you to join our August 19, 2006 Cruise Critic group cruise. There are some single/solo cruisers already booked, with some sharing and some preferring their own stateroom. The single supplement is currently 150%.

Since you use a scooter and cane, I assume you would want to book an accessible room so you can bring the scooter inside the stateroom and have a shower seat for the shower. These accessible staterooms get booked up much quicker, but there are several still available. Also, the ship is sailing an Eastern Caribbean itinerary and usually docks at St. Thomas and St. Martin so you can take your scooter into port (the ship does tender at Princess Cay).

For more information, click on the links below or email me at kacruiser@ev1.net.

Hi, Jeralyn.

I haven't cruised Princess yet - I am booked on a 26 day European cruise on Princess next year, but even though I have a deposit on it, may not be able to do it. I have a bad weight problem compounded by a thyroid problem so the weight doesn't budge, and I don't want to fly that far at this weight as it is hell. I like the Crown as it is a smaller but very nice ship. I like the Freestyle Dining as you meet new people at every meal if you are willing to share.

Going around the Horn can be really rocky, and you can't always get into the Falkland Islands depending on the condition of the seas, but we were so lucky as the water was calm during almost all of the cruise. The only rocky area was the first night out of Valpraiso going into Puerto Montt.

I am trying to figure out an alternative cruise if I decide not to fly to Europe. It would be a shame as I haven't been there yet and was really looking forward to the experience.

Where have you cruised so far?

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the information on the August CC Cruise. I'll see what I can do about that one. I really don't need a handicapped cabin as my scooter is very small and fits in almost any room. At least any room I have seen so far.

I can get around pretty well for a short time, like for taking showers, etc. It is for the longer walks back and forth to various places on the ship and the shore excursions that I need the scooter.

Iris

HI Jeralyn: How great that you got to visit the beach here ! My mother lives in a high rise condo on Ft. Laud. beach and I never even get to the beach !!! My friend & I have a rental car so thought we would drive out to Lake Mead for the day and take river boat cruise. Alternative would be Red Rock Canyon ........ that may be hotter. Do you have suggestion for any other day trip? Thanks........ You can e-mail me direct at nancbcruisin@aol.com.

Iris, it would be great if you could join us on the CC cruise. Its going to be a really fun cruise! If you decide to go and think that you would like to share a stateroom with someone and are looking for a roommate, let me know--you can email me with the info at kacruiser@ev1.net and perhaps there might be a sharing opportunity.

Its great that your scooter is small enough to fit within the doorway. Many scooters aren't that small. If you need any information like doorway dimensions, let me know and I'll be glad to provide that for you.

Hi Kathy,

My scooter is only 18 inches wide and 37 inches long. Most doorways are at least 21 inches, so that is why it is no problem. Getting OUT of the door can be a little tricky, but it is DO-ABLE!:D

I'll let you know how my long range plans work out, as soon as I know.

Iris

JUGS stands for just us girls want info go to www.just-us-girls.org. I have posted several times for a cabinmate, never got an answer from anyone..maybe age of 75 scares them off. Found a wonderful cabinmae a few years ago on the www.frommers.com site, under share a trip. I was 70 and he was 73. Yep, and it worked out very well...he was a PERFECT gentleman and everything fell into place. He lives in Canada and I in California and we had such a good time our first cruise, we went 4 months later for 25 days. Yes, we are friends and still stay in touch.

Hope the info on jugs helps you.

I tried the website and it required a password! How does one get so far as a password?

Archived