Solo-cruisers ?

Cotton

Nice post, glad you enjoy going solo.

Now, get your Dad to get a solo cabin and have him enjoy cruising with you.

Believe me ... I've tried. No go. I even tried to find something leaving from the Port of Philadelphia or New York ... figuring that maybe it is the flying he doesn't want any part of. But, he still won't go. He's 92 now and very, very set in his ways. He claims a cruise would bore him silly. He tells me to go and have fun ... and leave him in peace.

Oh, well. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hi everyone. I'm finally back to this board after a long absence.

In the meantime, I did my first solo cruise to Alaska in September and it was fantastic. Rita, your life sounds exactly like mine. I turned 50 last January, mom passed away 7 years ago. I went on several cruises with dad but now his situation is he's becoming a bit to frail to travel. Same situation with friends so hence, I gave it a try and have already booked another for April. The repo cruises are a very good deal even including the dreaded single supplement.

Oddly enough, witrh me being one who loves to meet new people, I only ate in the dining room once. I had an aft cabin and between the excursions and the beautiful views on BOTH sides of the ship, I found myself either on my balcony (we had beautiful weather) or in the solarium. I'd usually either get room service or grab something at the buffet. I think on a Caribbean or warm weather cruise, I would probably use the dining room more.

It's just so wonderful to have all these options. I love this thread and hope we early 50 something solo sailors are welcome.

Peggy

Hi, I've read some great reviews on this thread about solo cruising. I've added these suggestions to my list, especially concerning the dining part. Now I know how to approach things on cruises more comfortably. Thanks guys. Mary

• 2 weeks later...

I am going on my first solo cruise next month. My husband passed away almost 4 years ago. We went on several cruises together. I have gone on 4 or 5 cruises since then with a friend. But I am going on my first solo cruise next month on the Island Princess. It is a 15 day to Hawaii, leaving from Los Angeles, 4 days going over then around the islands and 5 days coming back.

All of your messages have really encouraged me to do this and I am really looking forward to going alone.

Thanks!!!

I am going on my first solo cruise next month. My husband passed away almost 4 years ago. We went on several cruises together. I have gone on 4 or 5 cruises since then with a friend. But I am going on my first solo cruise next month on the Island Princess. It is a 15 day to Hawaii, leaving from Los Angeles, 4 days going over then around the islands and 5 days coming back.

All of your messages have really encouraged me to do this and I am really looking forward to going alone.

Thanks!!!

Good for you. You're going to love Hawaii. I was there on a trip (not cruise) years ago.

Let's us know how it was for you when you come back. Have a great time. Mary Ann

Hi fellow cruisers. I'm female, 60+, and a solo-cruiser. If you are hesitant to cruise alone, I'll be glad to share my experiences or answer any questions. Best of all worlds to me.:)

Hi,

I'm a 50 year old female going on the Ryndam out of Tampa 3/5/06 for 14 days. (Caribbean) My significant-other doesn't like travelling as much as I do, and he's still working anyway and can't get that much time off. I decided, since this is my first cruise, to go with the Share Plan where I don't pay a single suppliment. I haven't roomed with another woman since college, but I have a positive attitude about it. Just as long as I don't have a clinging vine type. It might actually be fun. I travel a lot, like two months every year, and I always go alone. I prefer it, because then I can do whatever I choose and come and go as I please. It really does get expensive, though. Hotel rooms cost the same whether there are one or two people in them, and taxi fares add up fast when you're paying alone. If I want to go often, I have to cut costs where possible. This is the first place I've found on these boards where single travellers are represented. Will there be many of us aboard, and are we all female? Does the Ryndam have "single socials" or "meet and greet" for singles? I think cruise lines should recognize that we are a strong force, economically, and do a bit more to attract us. Like, having small single cabins without the penalty. I feel like I'm being fined for my independent streak! Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to my first cruise, believe I'll have a lot of fun, and will choose this mode of travel quite often in the future as I get older and more "creaky". Is anyone out there booked on the same cruise on the Share Plan? We might end up together, if you are. Best wishes to all of you, and enjoy your experiences.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am a little nervous about taking my 1st solo cruise (I'm 45). It was originally me, dd & ds, but they have decided not to go. I have cruised 4 times, this will be my 5th.

What tips can you give for meeting people? I'm happy reading, playing Bingo and laying in the sun. But would like to meet and interact with others while onboard.

Also nervous about excursions. We have always planned and booked our own. I feel it may be unwise as a single to do that? Better to do the cruise lines? But way more money.

Will be going on the Carnival Spirit.

Thanks for your help!

since I usually cruise with the teens, but I often joke that it's a lot like traveling solo, except I am paying for 3 of us! My solo days are fast approaching, though , as my dd goes off to college next year. Glad I found this thread, makes me look forward even more to the chance to cruise on my own!

I've decided, this year, because it's a milestone birthday year, to party on-time and not wait two years after to have the grand celebration. By coincidence a friend suggested that I take advantage of a bargainous RCCI transatlantic rate so off again I go...Miami-to-Barcelona and then Paris....solo. Yayyy, I love a party...

and this thread, too....bunch of pioneers and adventurers we are....

i took my first solo cruise back in may, a transatlantic/repo with princess for 14 days. my husband passed away over two years ago and we had always traveled. took my first solo trip, not a cruise to new zealand and met some wonderful people. my first cruise solo was wonderful. met some great people on cc so that made things a bit easier having familiar faces around when i was on the ship. actually had no problems at all. the excursions were a bit different on my own but i found everyone who cruises is very friendly. my next cruise will actually be in may with a gal from australia who i met on my new zealand trip. then i'm off once again solo to south america in 2007. i found if you're open to meeting people and are friendly you'll have no problems traveling solo. my advice is go onto the cc site for your cruise and get to know your fellow passengers.

jeralyn ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived